Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

help a semi new riders pick a bike from bikesdirect

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

help a semi new riders pick a bike from bikesdirect

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-20, 08:15 AM
paspar2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
help a semi new rider pick a bike from bikesdirect

back story: I never shopped for a bike before, the one I was using for the last 3 years was finally claimed back by my buddy who lent it to me - he started riding due to the covid induced boredom... it was a heavy K2 mountain bike with front and rear suspensions that seemed to be more for show than actually do anything. The tires were 26x1.95 but also said 44mm on them

I need a to get a bike asap. local dealers are all closed so Id like to order it on bikesdirect. I am 6'2 205lbs with a 34.5" stand over. I ride paved roads and paths or an old boardwalk by the beach with lots of uneven gaps and uneven boards and screwheads jotting out - about 50/50. I dont commute on the bike. I like a flat bar, and wide-ish tires (boardwalk usage), a comfortable seat and being more upright... Id like to spend 300-400 if possible.

there are waaay too many bikes to consider and I dont know the first thing about bike components and their durability or quality... would be great to hear some thoughts and get some recommendations...

thanks

Last edited by paspar2; 04-29-20 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-29-20, 09:20 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Bike Island

is the scratch and dent outlet for BikesDirect. Here's a rigid fork hybrid with flat bars, and a 1x7 drivetrain. It'll fit wider tires, too. Perfect for you. $179 shipped. Good luck.

https://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_...ls&ProdID=3046
Old 04-29-20, 09:28 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
is the scratch and dent outlet for BikesDirect. Here's a rigid fork hybrid with flat bars, and a 1x7 drivetrain. It'll fit wider tires, too. Perfect for you. $179 shipped. Good luck.

https://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_...ls&ProdID=3046
I agree it's a good deal for a decent bike, but will a 22 inch frame be large enough for OP at 6'2"?
Old 04-29-20, 09:30 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I agree it's a good deal for a decent bike, but will a 22 inch frame be large enough for OP at 6'2"?
Hybrid sizing. Yes. I'm 6'1" and would ride a 20 or so with 29" wheels. I went up a size for him. PG
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 04-29-20, 09:30 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
That’s too bad, here in WI, bike shops are all open, of course due to social distancing I’ve had to wait in line at a few, Business is good at the ones I frequent.
Good luck with your search, others will chime in and help, I’m more of a CV biker, not really any interest in the newer stuff.
Tim
Old 04-29-20, 09:36 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Dicks Sporting Goods is open in some areas with curbside pick-up and offers bikes in your price range. I'm not a big fan of Walmart bikes but under the circumstances it may be a good fit for you assuming a store is nearby and is selling bikes. It sounds like you're not familiar with bikes and, if so, you may have difficulty with Bikesdirect.com assembly.
Old 04-29-20, 10:02 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
My advice would be to get something without suspension. It adds a ton of weight (and cost/complexity) without much utility assuming you’re staying on roads or basic gravel paths. Wide tires at the right pressure will have enough plushness.

I think the best sort of bike for you would be one that has good mechanical (or even hydraulic) disc brakes, flat bars, wide tire clearance, no suspension fork, and 2x8 speeds (Shimano Claris). Unfortunately, bikesdirect isn’t exactly visionary when it comes to speccing their bikes and builds. They’re more about quantity than quality. You’ll probably have to compromise one of these or upgrade something (expensive) and then creep closer to bike shop territory.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

This is obviously way over your budget, but something like this is probably best suited to your needs.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...atbar-road.htm

This is pretty close. Unfortunately the brakes are utter garbage tektro novelas. I had a bikesdirect elite trail with those and they do. not. stop. You’d want to swap them to avid BB7 or TRPs which would be $100 to $200. At which point you may as well figure out a way to get the trek shipped to you.

EDIT: I just looked at the bike someone posted above. I think rim brakes might be easier to find within your price point and will definitely work better than cheap mechanical disc brakes.

https://feltbicycles.com/collections...22621377233014

^A bit expensive but felt is a pretty high quality brand. I’d ask about tire clearance.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...d-bike-me.html

^seems like someone else also tried the swift and likes it so far

Last edited by smashndash; 04-29-20 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-29-20, 11:05 AM
paspar2

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
thanks for the replies, at $179 shipped to my door - I got the one from bike Island. Phil_gretz - thanks!!
Old 04-29-20, 11:34 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

It's a good choice for your needs. PM me if you have any questions on the set-up. I'd be happy to help. PG
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 04-29-20, 11:37 AM
paspar2

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
It's a good choice for your needs. PM me if you have any questions on the set-up. I'd be happy to help. PG
truly appreciated!
Old 04-29-20, 12:26 PM
paspar2

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
someone snatched it up 20 minutes before me

back to the drawing board.

edit

any thoughts on this:
(cant post links ) "Motobecane 300 HT Economy Hardtail Mountain Bike" with a 22.5" frame for $199
click shop by size then 22.5...

Last edited by paspar2; 04-29-20 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-29-20, 02:01 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

The 300HT is equipped with lesser fork that has no lock-out feature. Pre-load adjust only, which will be pretty useless. It'll work okay, but with tires that big, I doubt that you'll need a front suspension. I'd recommend that you keep looking.
Old 04-29-20, 02:07 PM
paspar2

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
The 300HT is equipped with lesser fork that has no lock-out feature. Pre-load adjust only, which will be pretty useless. It'll work okay, but with tires that big, I doubt that you'll need a front suspension. I'd recommend that you keep looking.
Thanks. ill keep an eye on the site for a few more days.
Old 04-30-20, 10:27 AM
bran1986

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I got this bike about 8 years ago from Bikes Direct:

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/g29ss.htm

I am a bigger guy - 230 lbs. This bike has seriously been bullet proof over the years and seems to check all the boxes for the type of riding you will be doing (unless you need more than one gear). After 8 years the bottom bracket is just now starting to make a slight noise but other than that it never gave me any issues. The only potential downside would be that it is a single speed; I purposely bought a single speed for the simplicity and challenge.

It also has the Tektro Novela brakes and I never had any issues with them. They are still on original pads actually and still stopping with no issues. For the type of riding it sounds like you will be doing, they are more than ample.

Last edited by bran1986; 04-30-20 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-30-20, 11:11 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony P.
Walmart bikes but under the circumstances it may be a good fit for you assuming a store is nearby and is selling bikes. It sounds like you're not familiar with bikes and, if so, you may have difficulty with Bikesdirect.com assembly.
I think OP has decided on something, but I need to say - this is bad advice. First, the main problem with Walmart bikes is that they are not usually assembled properly, so no better off than Bikes Direct in that sense.

Also, Walmart bikes generally only come in one size, and that size is not the right one for someone 6'2"

Lastly, Walmart bikes almost universally have freewheel hubs, which are prone to axles bending and breaking. So a 205 lb person won't likely get too many rides in before the bike is damaged.
Old 04-30-20, 02:12 PM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I think OP has decided on something, but I need to say - this is bad advice. First, the main problem with Walmart bikes is that they are not usually assembled properly, so no better off than Bikes Direct in that sense.

Also, Walmart bikes generally only come in one size, and that size is not the right one for someone 6'2"

Lastly, Walmart bikes almost universally have freewheel hubs, which are prone to axles bending and breaking. So a 205 lb person won't likely get too many rides in before the bike is damaged.
I'm amazed at Wilfred's post. You should be ashamed. You quote me but intentionally cut from my quote these words:
I'm not a big fan of Walmart bikes
in order to misrepresent what I said then proceed to criticize me as if I was touting Walmart, which I wasn't. The OP needed an inexpensive bike ASAP but LBS was closed so I suggested Walmart as an option under the current circumstances. Nothing more. Cheap shot.

Last edited by Tony P.; 04-30-20 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-01-20, 12:23 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I know i and a few other peple have said this, but some folks only hear what they like ... so this post is wasted ...

But ...

For some folks, a simple Walmart bike will work admirably. The simpler the bike, the better ... but not everybody needs a lot of bike. A basic rigid-frame bike from Walmart will work fine for someone who doesn't plan to ever ride very hard and doesn't have much cash on hand.

The cheapest bike I saw on BikesDirect was (I think) $219, and the next cheapest, $249. So for someone who has $200 to spend and needs a lock, a spare tube, and maybe a bottle and cage .....

Yeah, Walmart sells cheap tools which won't last or stand up to hard usage, but it you have a light job you need done today and won't care two years from now ......
Old 05-03-20, 11:28 AM
paspar2

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
local used Giant Cypress DX is availble - a year old in good shape for $300 - any toughs on this model?