Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Mask for cyclists

Old 05-01-20, 02:15 AM
Temple111

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm asthmatic so wearing a mask is not very nice, rumours are the UK will make them compulsory shortly
Old 05-01-20, 03:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11368 Post(s)
Liked 2,994 Times in 1,669 Posts
Originally Posted by Texboy View Post
I have seen plenty of sport masks on Amazon. Do you wear a mask while cycling? Are these breathable and cool during the summer?
https://www.bikeforums.net/coronavir...ng-masked.html
Old 05-01-20, 04:59 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
I have seen plenty of sport masks on Amazon. Do you wear a mask while cycling? Are these breathable and cool during the summer?
No, absolutely not. If I were commuting in Beijing I could see the point, but if you live in a place where your visibility is 2km or more on an average day, you don't need one. In regards to viruses, your odds of getting infected while riding a bike are about the same as being attacked by a grizzly bear in the Empire State Building. It's possible, but not possible enough to lose sleep worrying about.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 05-01-20, 05:18 AM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 640, '74 Fuji Special Road Racer, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 318 Posts
Absolutely not, as well. I don't ride "on paths" so, any rider I pass will be going in my direction, and we'll likely chat for a moment and then I'll pull away. Risks? Zero. More likely, I'll crash and break my neck. Plus, who says I haven't already had the virus, was asymptomatic, and fought it off? That's just as likely.

Silly thread./
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-01-20, 05:38 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
As others have said I have a dense bandana that I keep around my neck and pull up as engineering other people. I tend to ride late afternoons and early evenings on roads because the local public areas are so crowded there's no way not to be near people.

I live in eastern Pennsylvania and from my informal survey about 90% of those out walking on nice days do not have masks on.
Old 05-01-20, 05:51 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Felt Speedway2. Norco Indie3. VROD:)

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Melvang View Post
Charcoal filters are only good for a certain time frame. After they, they do nothing. That is essentially the mechanism for organic volatile filters for respirators. Once that package is open, it is only good for 3 days, no matter how much you actually breath through it.
I had no idea! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-01-20, 05:52 AM
Kabuki12

Bikes: 1973 Windsor Profesional,1976 Kabuki diamond formula with full Campy, 1977 Raleigh Competition GS , 1971 Stella original Campy equip. 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1972 Italvega Gran Rally ,1972 Super Mondia Special,Medici Pro Strada

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 179 Posts
No mask while riding. Stay away from multi use paths and go around with a wide swing when I pass. I try for about 10 meters. It is pretty easy as long as I stay away from the coast . I do carry one with me in case I need to stop and get a drink or something.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 05-01-20, 07:08 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520 View Post
Pointless. You're not protected from anything wearing that. Not even household dust.

Also, I don't understand the need to wear a mask to mountain bike. Unless you're gonna be riding around a lot of people, why bother?
The mtb trails around me are filling up with hikers and other risers so still plenty of people around. You do realize that the advisement to wear a mask isn't to keep you from inhaling the virus but more to keep others from inhaling your exhaled droplets and you getting them sick? Works decent for that.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-01-20, 07:18 AM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520 View Post
Pointless. You're not protected from anything wearing that. Not even household dust.

Also, I don't understand the need to wear a mask to mountain bike. Unless you're gonna be riding around a lot of people, why bother?
The point of wearing a mask is not to protect yourself from getting the virus, it's to reduce the chance of you giving the virus if you happen to be an asymptomatic carrier.
Likes For ririder:
Old 05-01-20, 07:25 AM
brewerkz 

Bikes: 2010 Schwinn Madison, 1988 Colnago Super, 1946 Higgins Ultralite.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Really, in Covid-19?
https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...pread-indoors/
Old 05-01-20, 07:56 AM
1964GTO

Bikes: 1972 Peugeot, 2012 Giant Sedona, 2020 Trek FX-2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
At first I thought not, but with everybody and their brother walking on the MUP I try to wear one. We've passed people as they sneeze, cough and vape and we suck that up.
Old 05-01-20, 07:57 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S, Nashbar 3sp commuter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by RandomlyWest View Post
On Facebook, a "friend" told me that cyclists who rode without masks in the San Fernando Valley were "silent killers in Lycra."

I told him to read this. (Which is definitely worth the click.)
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...nfectious-dose
Indeed a good read - also this article that describes how the whole "contrails of death and contagion" scenario is based on speculation, not science, but it had good graphics, so the press picked it up and ran with it. What started as a speculative white paper has become gospel.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 05-01-20, 08:12 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 153 Posts
I wore the mask to the grocery store..... and I burped in the mask and had to breath it... not good.
I am so tired of seeing media and actors at home with the mask on.....newscaster on location outdoors with the mask on....too much about nothing.
Old 05-01-20, 12:19 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth View Post
The mtb trails around me are filling up with hikers and other risers so still plenty of people around. You do realize that the advisement to wear a mask isn't to keep you from inhaling the virus but more to keep others from inhaling your exhaled droplets and you getting them sick? Works decent for that.
Spandex offers practically zero protection for the user AND those around them. You need something with much finer pores. Heck, even an old t-shirt would be more effective. If you can easily breathe through it, itís useless.
Likes For Ross520:
Old 05-02-20, 09:21 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
Absolutely not, as well. I don't ride "on paths" so, any rider I pass will be going in my direction, and we'll likely chat for a moment and then I'll pull away. Risks? Zero. More likely, I'll crash and break my neck. Plus, who says I haven't already had the virus, was asymptomatic, and fought it off? That's just as likely.

Silly thread./
Except wearing a mask is more about protecting other people, not about protecting yourself.
Likes For raceboy:
Old 05-03-20, 12:49 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo recumbent tandem

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Here in Dubai, we are required to wear a mask at all times outside the residence. I am taking advantage of the movement limitations and office occupancy limitations to ride to work and just park my bike behind my desk. The mask is warm, but not too bad when I ride to work in the mornings at 83-84 degrees F, but it is rather miserable when I go home at 100+ degrees. I can breathe through it, but it holds the heat around your nose, mouth and chin.
Likes For Tony Marley:
Old 05-03-20, 03:40 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 2,562 Times in 1,473 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
The 6 feet is for a static distance. When you are following or passing someone, you need to keep out of their slipstream. which can be up to 60 feet long for a cyclist from one study.

Now the mask will help protect other people from you unless it is n95, which protects you to, but try to get one of those.

That slipstream "study" was complete nonsense according to every virologist and epidemiologist who's commented on it. The sixty feet thing is utterly implausible.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-03-20, 05:35 AM
russtopherb

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2019 Jamis Allegro Sport

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
No mask while biking. I'm also only riding on streets, no paths that I'm sharing with pedestrians. I do wear a mask everywhere else, it's on as soon as I open my car door. Here in MA, this week it will be required to wear a face mask anywhere outside where social distancing is not possible. I feel that biking solo on fairly deserted streets meets the distancing criteria, hence no mask.
Likes For russtopherb:
Old 05-03-20, 05:47 AM
alloo

Bikes: Electra Townie 21d, 2020 Blix Aveny

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 61 Posts
I just wear a neck gaiter. Not a big deal!
Likes For alloo:
Old 05-03-20, 09:42 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 148 Posts
Latest information shows that fresh air and sun shine kills the china virus.
Old 05-03-20, 10:42 AM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 38 Posts
Only time I wore a mask is during winter riding when I wore my balaclava and even then, I hardly pull up the mask part. So tired of this mask ordeal and living in fear. Live free or die hard.
Old 05-03-20, 11:28 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
The 6 feet is for a static distance. When you are following or passing someone, you need to keep out of their slipstream. which can be up to 60 feet long for a cyclist from one study.

Now the mask will help protect other people from you unless it is n95, which protects you to, but try to get one of those.
I cannot remember the last time I passed or followed another cyclist. Not all of us live in the city. If I need one, so does everyone driving in their cars. Do you wear one when in a car?
Old 05-03-20, 11:45 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 40 Posts
I want a full face shield. But not for covid19, for the swarms of tiny bugs I encountered on my last ride.
Old 05-03-20, 12:13 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike)

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo View Post
I just wear a neck gaiter. Not a big deal!
If you don't find a way to pinch it shut around the sides of your nose, it's useless and you might as well leave it at home.

That's a simple fix, though, and I use something similar (Buff headband style)--I pull it as far up on my face as I can without blocking my vision, and put my glasses on over it. The nosepieces on the glasses seal it shut on the sides, at least as well as anything I've worn before and better than the dust masks typically worn in wood shops and other such areas.

Also, I fold mine over so it's three layers thick.
Old 05-03-20, 12:44 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
I have been wearing a neck gaiter, that I pull up over my nose and mouth when I go indoors someplace, but I generally don't cover my face when I ride. While there is always a degree of risk, my view is, the risk is relatively low riding alone on the roads. The risk is somewhat higher on MUPs of course since you have cyclists coming the other way, sometimes at less than 6'. Even there, the risk is somewhat lower than it is in an enclosed space, like indoors. That will be the challenge, is deciding once the gym opens up whether it is even possible to work out at the gym while wearing a mask.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.