Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Velo-Orange Polyvalent with canti mounts

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Velo-Orange Polyvalent with canti mounts

Old 04-13-20, 12:05 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I agree that would be hazardous. Also it sounds like generally a can of worms to 'convert' a new frame to a different wheel size. Why not just get the next size down that's already set up for 26" wheels? (do they mean 559?, IDK)

Or look at the 49.5 SOMA Grand Rando. It has a 53cm virtual TT. I like longer seat stays too, but it isn't worth pedal strikes and ruining your warranty right away. Also maybe look at Rivendell. They tend to have long chainstays and I'd trust their frame geometry over many other makes. Roadini is semi affordable. No cantis though. https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...oducts/roadini

Last edited by Salamandrine; 04-13-20 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo as usual
Old 04-13-20, 12:22 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Surly Pack Rat: https://surlybikes.com/bikes/pack_rat

It's not fancy but maybe you aren't looking for fancy.

Edit: wait, nevermind. not 1"
Old 04-14-20, 07:06 AM
erbfarm

Bikes: 1986 Bridgestone 450

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
OK, the Bridgestone X0-2 is relisted on Ebay so I may jump on it today. One question: the frame size is 48cm but the standover height is listed in the catalog at 29". Shouldn't it be lower than that? It's got 26" inch wheels. Does that mean the seat tube angle is very steep?
Old 04-14-20, 08:52 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by erbfarm
OK, the Bridgestone X0-2 is relisted on Ebay so I may jump on it today. One question: the frame size is 48cm but the standover height is listed in the catalog at 29". Shouldn't it be lower than that? It's got 26" inch wheels. Does that mean the seat tube angle is very steep?
Look at the catalog online on Sheldon Brown's website. All of the dimensions are listed.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/1993/index.htm

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridges...3/pages/63.htm

There's a lot to be said for 26 inch wheels for a small frame bicycle.
Old 04-14-20, 09:19 AM
erbfarm

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Look at the catalog online on Sheldon Brown's website. All of the dimensions are listed.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/1993/index.htm

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridges...3/pages/63.htm

There's a lot to be said for 26 inch wheels for a small frame bicycle.
I see the specs but still don't understand why the standover height is so high for a small frame with small wheels. Can you help me understand that?
Old 04-14-20, 09:40 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 207 Posts
I see the specs but still don't understand why the standover height is so high for a small frame with small wheels. Can you help me understand that?
It's a little high. The XO 2 has a high bottom bracket, which affects stand over. Wheel size does not affect stand over.
Old 04-14-20, 09:50 AM
bikemig 

You know what you like to ride. If you can stand over it, does it really matter that it might be a little "high?" I know my XO 2 handles great. But given that the bike was designed as a "fire road" bike (a gravel bike), the designer might have wanted a little higher ground clearance.

Look at BB heights for the XO 2, the RB 1 (road bike), and MB 1 (mountain bike). The BB height for the XO 2 is in between those 2 (but very close to the RB 1) because it was designed as an in betweener.

Few of these bikes were made and they seldom show up for sale.

Last edited by bikemig; 04-14-20 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-14-20, 09:52 AM
erbfarm

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
It's a little high. The XO 2 has a high bottom bracket, which affects stand over. Wheel size does not affect stand over.
yep, the BB height is 10". Still it seems like the frame size overall would fit me really well which is the main thing. Plus, I bet it rides really nicely. I think I might go for it.
Old 04-20-20, 09:17 AM
erbfarm

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Hi Again

OP here. Well, I didn't get the Bridgestone X0-2, it was gone as soon as I tried to buy it. So after doing some re-evaluating, I think the Soma Grand Randonneur is the best option for now. The 49cm frame seems to have a good geometry for me and I love the canti mounts and dt shifters. But the Soma site says they are out of the 49cm frames. I can call around to some of the local shops to see if any are available, but is there anywhere else I should look? On the local CL in my area, there is another X0-2 for sale, but it's a 52cm frame with a 54 cm TT which could work if I put trekking butterfly bars on it to bring the hand position back a little bit. I've also got mustache bars. I could take a look at some other kind of sweep back bars. Any recommendations?
Old 04-20-20, 09:49 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Any recommendations?
Hi. I like the Albatross bars. They're basically north road or 3 speed bars, but with way more sweep back. If you tape the fronts there's space in front of the levers for alternate handholds.They are reasonably comfortable on long rides and the only non drop bars I own. They are pretty wide though, maybe on the big side for a ~50cm frame. Trekking bars might be a good choice. Not C&V, but so what.

AFA frame availability, SOMA is more of a distributor than a retailer, so some shop somewhere probably has one. Maybe email or call Boulder Bicycles, since that frame was a collaboration with them.

Just FYI and something to be aware of, the Grand Randonneur is a low trail design, and it will handle differently than 'normal' bikes. Many people prefer it. Best suited for front loads and good low speed handling.
Old 04-21-20, 05:45 AM
bikemig 

Trekking bars are great. They give you multiple hand options which most flat bars do not. Think of them as drop bars squished flat.

The prices on vintage MTBs tend to be very good. It sounds like you'd be better off with a 26 inch wheel bike given the sizes you are looking at. It's hard to beat a vintage MTB with trekking bars if you want a very versatile bike with a relatively low initial cash outlay. The brake levers and shifters on a MTB will work just fine on a trekking bar. And you will have plenty of room for fenders and a fat tire for a commuter.

That's how I set up my '92 Trek 950 since I wanted a vintage MTB for gravel and road rides.

Last edited by bikemig; 04-21-20 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-27-20, 06:58 AM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
can you privately message me? I did talk to a builder I really like and he tried to talk me into the disc frame. He said he's removed many canti posts and added many disc mounts but never the reverse
My wife and I have matching disc PolyVs, and honestly it's one of my all-time favorites. And I'm comparing this to my other similar favorites (all canti brake bikes): Riv Bombadil, Handsome XOXO, Schwinn Cimarron, Trek 970, Kogswell PR...

​​​​​I run TRP Spyre cable disc brakes on mine with a pair of old Tomaselli brake levers... Retro but modern... and I remain a sucker for straight top tubes. Seriously check out the PolyV..

BTW I'm running 26 in wheels with fat tires, but you can also run 650B with slightly less fat tires. Good luck!!!
​​​​​
Likes For montclairbobbyb:
Old 04-27-20, 07:16 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
As for swept back bars, i love the vo porteur bars. Too narrow for many folks but exactly what i like. They can be had in 23.8 diameter so barcons fit if you're into that.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 04-28-20, 08:28 AM
erbfarm

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
While I'm still searching for a frame, thought I might pick up a fork with canti mounts. Velo Orange has only one left of the Polyvalent with canti mounts. It's 166mm. Would this be long enough? I've been looking at 52cm frames from mid to late 80t's road bikes from Univega, fuji, and Trek that I'd convert from 700C to 650B. How can I determine what size fork would work with those types of bikes? Thanks!
Old 04-28-20, 11:21 AM
Salamandrine 

Frames and forks are system, and I would caution you against buying a fork before you buy a frame.

AFA sizing forks, generally you hold it up to the frame, see if it's long enough, and cut off any excess threaded portion. Maybe not the most helpful answer, but true. Maybe there's a chart online somewhere. Ideally the threaded section of the steer tube should stop just below where it needs to go to thread the top adjuster cup on. If that makes sense. You could figure it out ahead of time if you know the length of the head tube of the frame, as well as the steer tube length of the fork, and where the threads start.
Old 04-30-20, 08:53 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
While I'm still searching for a frame, thought I might pick up a fork with canti mounts. Velo Orange has only one left of the Polyvalent with canti mounts. It's 166mm. Would this be long enough? I've been looking at 52cm frames from mid to late 80t's road bikes from Univega, fuji, and Trek that I'd convert from 700C to 650B. How can I determine what size fork would work with those types of bikes? Thanks!
You might try talking with the folks at Velo-Orange. They're very helpful, and know more about their bikes than anyone else.

I love my V-O Porteur bar on my 18" RockHopper; along with a short stem, it compensates for the ridiculously long top tube.
Old 05-04-20, 06:21 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I resisted the disc brake koolaid for a long time, going as far as having a custom frame built so I could avoid disc brakes. But some 18 months ago I was offered a disc brake bike at a price I couldn't resist, and I ... couldn't resist.

And (dammit!) disc brakes are pretty great.

You don't need to tell me why you want to avoid them; I know plenty of reasons even if I don't know exactly what your reasons are. But if you're looking to spend extra to avoid them, I assure you it's not worth it. Disc brakes really are an improvement. Easier to deal with in many ways, and aside from that, they are the direction the industry is headed.

I'd suggest you try them before rejecting them .
Old 05-11-20, 07:55 AM
erbfarm

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm

I'd suggest you try them before rejecting them .
I have tried disc brakes. I've got a Surly Straggler that I use for my daily 30 mi round trip commute (pre-pandemic) here in the rainy PNW. The disc brakes have been invaluable for that purpose. I'm looking for something to ride the rest of the time when I'm not commuting and I'd rather not dump another $1k+ into a bike. I've got a beautiful set of handbuilt 650B non-disc wheels that I'd like to use plus a bin full of parts -- everything I need to build up a decent fair weather all rounder except the frame. Had I realized how incredibly difficult it would be to find just a basic nothing fancy frame that would actually fit me, I never would have parted with my mid-80's Specialized Sequoia as that is the only frame that was 52x52. As it turns out, that is the dimension that fits me. So I'm back to scouring CL and hoping to stumble across something there. Plus, I can't stand the threadless headsets, external cup bottom brackets or most of the other industry standard stuff anyway. So it's a little more than just the discs.