Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend Ride Reports -- May 16/17 etc

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-20, 10:28 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Tell us about your cycling lately ... and other sports. Inside or out. Probably solo or with one other person. Got pics!?
Old 05-15-20, 10:30 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Wednesday --

Another day, more indoor exercise. Cycling today! On a bicycle, on a trainer, with Zwift.

Wish it could be a few more calories, but it is what it is. Better than nothing!

Distance: 15.48km
Elevation: 210m
Moving Time: 1:10:43
Elapsed Time 1:10:43

........................ Avg .............. Max
Speed ............. 13.1km/h ....... 75.2km/h
Heart Rate ...... 143bpm ......... 161bpm
Cadence ......... 73 .................. 103
Power ............. 68W ............... 121W
Calories .......... 275

Perceived Exertion: Moderate

This is an old setup ... it's a bit nicer now.
Old 05-15-20, 10:32 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Thursday --

I took my new trail running shoes out for a run! It was a nice day today and the reserves are open again, so we went to one quite close to us. I jogged (slowly) and my husband walked. I would jog ahead half a km or so, and then jog back to him and jog ahead again and so on. But I did walk a few times ... it was a bit hilly! So my running time for a 5K is about 8 minutes slower than it was the last time I did an outdoor 5K. It's a start!

Distance: 5.09km
Elevation: 96m
Moving Time: 43:50
Elapsed Time: 56:49
Pace: 8:36/km
Calories: 526
Perceived Exertion: Moderate

This is my album of Tasmania in Autumn 2020 photos. All close to home.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka...57713457774586
Old 05-15-20, 10:35 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Friday, we went to a flatter area and cycled 13 km.

Distance: 13.07km
Elevation: 46m
Moving Time: 50:29
Elapsed Time: 51:53
Speed: Avg: 15.5km/h | Max: 33.5km/h
Calories 231

These photos are from April, but same area as where we cycled today ...

It has been nice getting out the last couple days ... fresh air, sunshine, seeing something we haven't seen in a little bit.
Old 05-16-20, 02:04 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Machka's post reminds me, I need a new pair of trail/walking shoes. I'm trying to walk 1-3 miles two or three times a week, especially after bike rides to loosen up my legs. My longest walk this year was 6 miles and I thought my hip and lower back were gonna explode the last mile. No injuries, just painful spasms from not walking long distances. And maybe my unstructured Adidas sneakers weren't the best choice for a long walk, although those kicks are fine for rides on my hybrid with flat pedals.

Last pair I got was summer 2018 and I've walked the tread bare. They were good for the money, RBX, looked like a knockoff of a better shoe. The tread was much softer and more grippy on slick stuff than my other walking/hiking shoes, so I expected them to wear out quicker. Got my $20 worth.

The last good trail shoes I bought were Montrail with GoreTex upper liner in the early 2000s and those lasted much longer than I'd expected, almost 10 years. The tread was durable but not quite as grippy as I'd like on wet-slick stuff. I don't know whether they still make good shoes.

And I still have the same pair of Herman Survivor winter boots I bought at age 15 with money I earned washing dishes for a couple of local restaurants in Long Island. Those boots are nearly 50 years old now and still in good shape. Original Vibram sole, or what's left of it. No visible tread pattern but they're still comfortable, just really heavy. Herman's isn't the same company anymore -- they've sorta gone the way of Motobecane, just a brand name now.
Old 05-16-20, 02:12 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I got Hoka One One Challengers.

I got their Cliftons for running on the road and the Challengers are a reasonable equivalent to them for trail running.

They were great!! Very comfortable and just the right grippiness.
Likes For Machka:
Old 05-16-20, 02:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Saturday --

After spending several hours listening to recorded lectures, I needed to get out!

So we went to the local flat area and cycled.

Distance: 16.19km
Elevation: 104m
Moving Time: 1:00:27
Elapsed Time: 1:01:15

Speed: Avg: 16.1km/h | Max: 39.2km/h
Calories 284

Now I've got one more lecture to listen to ... and then I need to write a paper.
Likes For Machka:
Old 05-16-20, 02:57 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 943 Posts
42 miles including a stop at the Cliffs of the Neuse State Park

Old 05-16-20, 10:14 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
56 miles and 3000+ ft of climbing. Beautiful day weather wise.

Old 05-17-20, 10:57 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Did my Sunday ride today . Typical out to the harbor from my house . It was a bit cool but no wind and life seems to be getting more normal around here in SoCal . I see more cars(bummer) and certainly more cyclists. Distancing still easy on the open road. No MUP's for me at this time. It seems recently that walkers and joggers are moving away from sidewalks and into bike lanes forcing the cyclists out into traffic , so be careful out there. I don't understand this trend as the sidewalks are empty. Today there were 3 people walking abreast chatting away and they would not move over to give me room, they were walking against traffic, over top of the "bike" logo painted on the asphalt, and clearly saw me coming. The sidewalk was empty! Just another day in the world of cycling.
Old 05-17-20, 04:17 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Saturday morning was pretty sweet around here.
Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 05-17-20, 09:02 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Lots of rain this weekend, so I stayed indoors on Zwift instead. Did the Volcano Circuit thing, 25 laps to get the volcano badge/achievement.
Distance: 103.7km
Elevation gain: 431m
Moving/Elapsed time: 3:16:27
Old 05-18-20, 12:22 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
26 miles Friday, 42 miles Sunday. Beautiful spring weather, good for working on my cyclist/farmer tan. We'll see whether it helps my low vitamin D level, next lab session.

Sunday was almost too pleasant. I nearly dozed off while riding in the sun. Stopped for a few minutes to nom a Clif bar and gel with caffeine and put in a little more effort after resting to keep myself awake.
Old 05-18-20, 12:45 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
Saturday morning was pretty sweet around here.
Looks lovely, where is that?
Old 05-18-20, 01:18 AM
ZHVelo

Went a different route for my Sunday ride, which is usually the same because it's the only flat, long route available. Ended up doing the same distance but with 1200m of elevation gain. Didn't hurt at all, I came to my local sprint hill at the end and still managed a good time even. Plus the change of scenery was nice, though I always forgot to take photos when I was stopping and when I remember I didn't want to stop.
Old 05-18-20, 03:51 AM
maglia_grigia

Bikes: Bianchi C2C Via Nirone 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Made it out yesterday afternoon despite some drizzle.
Got a nice hill near me with a gentle gradient for 6km or so, great road surface and designated cycle lane - which takes a bit of stress out.
Not very adventurous but good for blasting a few hundred calories as well as recording progress on the same section of road.

Only issue for me is I'd prefer something a bit more up and down so it's not just relentless climbing, followed by a 6km descent.
Plan was to ride up and down various sections of this and maybe find a bit of flat roads at the bottom if I was feeling good.
Got the top and then turned back, decided to loop again and do the final km once more and perhaps just keep doing similar loops, working my way down so I didn't cool down on a 6km descent in a the rain.
As I got the top the 2nd time, chain snapped. No tools or anything with me.
Fortunately, not far from home.
Old 05-18-20, 11:57 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Did my Sunday ride today . Typical out to the harbor from my house . It was a bit cool but no wind and life seems to be getting more normal around here in SoCal . I see more cars(bummer) and certainly more cyclists. Distancing still easy on the open road. No MUP's for me at this time. It seems recently that walkers and joggers are moving away from sidewalks and into bike lanes forcing the cyclists out into traffic , so be careful out there. I don't understand this trend as the sidewalks are empty. Today there were 3 people walking abreast chatting away and they would not move over to give me room, they were walking against traffic, over top of the "bike" logo painted on the asphalt, and clearly saw me coming. The sidewalk was empty! Just another day in the world of cycling.
I believe many runners and walkers like the softer asphalt roads vs. the concrete of the sidewalks. Doesn't make it right that they block the lane. Around here most will move out of the way.
Old 05-18-20, 12:01 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
On Saturday I went out to Thonotossasa for 41 miles. Had one odd thing happen. A car was so intent on passing me he didn't notice the stop sign ahead. He blew through it at high speed. Thankfully no one was crossing the road or it would have been pretty bad. Sunday I rode to Flatwood park, which I was 99% sure was going to be closed. To my surprise it was open. 42 miles.
Old 05-18-20, 12:04 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
516...16.5 mil with one big climb at 13.5 mph....pretty windy.
5/17...26.5 mi. with a 4 mile climb at 13.5 mph...moderate wind

As usual my GF leaves me on the climbs and finishes about .2 mph ahead.

Still looking for fitness but, nonetheless, having a good time.
Old 05-18-20, 01:13 PM
slowgo

Bikes: Cervélo R3, Specialized Tarmac, Raleigh Redux

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
On Saturday I went out to Thonotossasa for 41 miles. Had one odd thing happen. A car was so intent on passing me he didn't notice the stop sign ahead. He blew through it at high speed. Thankfully no one was crossing the road or it would have been pretty bad. Sunday I rode to Flatwood park, which I was 99% sure was going to be closed. To my surprise it was open. 42 miles.
I miss Flatwoods. Used to live 3 miles from there. Also miss the Suncoast Trail.

As for this weekend. 46 miles on Saturday, 33 on Sunday. Average 18 mph or so. All southwest Florida flat.
Old 05-19-20, 04:22 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I shout at people if this happens (only really in one place where the sidewalk is separate then the bike lane is separate too from the road, and there are a ton of people about). Works so far.

But what you are describing sounds disgusting. I would be so tempted to just ride into them, little selfish, rude acts like that really piss me off.