Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Old Shuttle verses Crew Dragon

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old Shuttle verses Crew Dragon

Old 06-08-20, 03:39 PM
  #1  
genec
genec
Thread Starter
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,591

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8684 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 703 Posts
Old Shuttle verses Crew Dragon


https://www.inverse.com/innovation/s...gon-comparison

The issue I have with this is that the Shuttle had mechanical switches, Crew Dragon has touch screens... mechanical switches never failed due to a software error.

Anyone having seen Apollo 13 will recall how the system had to be brought up out of sequence and with limited resources... Crew Dragon... I hope to heck you never have to "reboot." "I'm sorry, Dave's not here..."
genec is online now  
Likes For genec:
Old 06-08-20, 06:02 PM
  #2  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 4,414

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/s...gon-comparison

The issue I have with this is that the Shuttle had mechanical switches, Crew Dragon has touch screens... mechanical switches never failed due to a software error.

Anyone having seen Apollo 13 will recall how the system had to be brought up out of sequence and with limited resources... Crew Dragon... I hope to heck you never have to "reboot." "I'm sorry, Dave's not here..."
These guys flew the space shuttle and now this. These old dogs learned some neat new tricks. One comment they made was it flew exactly like the simulator. That’s pretty good software design from Space X. Boeing now, that’s another story, software is not their strong point.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 06-08-20, 08:31 PM
  #3  
genec
genec
Thread Starter
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,591

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8684 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 703 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
These guys flew the space shuttle and now this. These old dogs learned some neat new tricks. One comment they made was it flew exactly like the simulator. That’s pretty good software design from Space X. Boeing now, that’s another story, software is not their strong point.
Problem is, sure it works, but those are software switches... what happens when a micrometeor tears through a memory chip somewhere or a a fan blows during a cryo stir or something, and a circuit can't be activated or bypassed?

No doubt there is triple redundancy in the system... and I am just whining... but in all my years in electronics, I have never trusted "soft" controls... Especially on/off functions that require you to hold the button for 3 seconds. I want a "hard" off somewhere... even if it is just pulling a fuse.

Again... no doubt there are great redundancies.
genec is online now  
Old 06-08-20, 09:19 PM
  #4  
clemsongirl 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: california
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
and I am just whining..
^^^truth

Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley have both worked with SpaceX for 5+ years developing it and both think it’s very good especially for the task of docking with the space station. Both have also commented that it makes controls easier to use once you train yourself to do it and also that it’s reliable.….i’ll take their word for it….
__________________
"The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron
clemsongirl is offline  
Old 06-08-20, 11:03 PM
  #5  
genec
genec
Thread Starter
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,591

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8684 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 703 Posts
Adding a pilot's perspective to what others have said:

Look at the switches and knobs in an airplane up close some time. You'll notice that nearly all of them have different textures,heights,sizes or shapes. That's intentional. Pilots train and train and train and train on checklists, especially the emergency ones. Muscle memory is a big part of quickly and correctly executing an emergency checklist.

As an example, flap levers/switches normally have a cap or top that is flat and parallel to the wings. It's easy to identify solely by touch.

Checklist item: "flaps up" Action: Hand to flap lever (automatic after doing it a hundred times in training), verify feel of lever, move, look to verify

Without the tactile element, every motion would have to be verified by looking before it's made. With the tactile element, the movement can be made and then verified visually while the hand is moving to the next item. In an emergency, every second counts and the savings from tactile + verify matters.

Beyond emergency procedures, they're simply safer. The plane I fly the most has a touch screen display and several non touch devices. In turbulence, the touch screen is basically useless. But, the important devices all have buttons and knobs. I can be banging my head on the ceiling (literally) and still adjust the auto-pilot or radio. In that kind of turbulence, the touch screen device is completely useless.
https://aviation.stackexchange.com/q...ns-in-cockpits

The NTSB report calls out the configuration of the bridge’s systems, pointing out that the decision to transfer controls while in the strait helped lead to the accident, and that the procedures for transferring the controls from one station to another were complicated, further contributing to the confusion. Specifically, the board points to the touchscreens on the bridge, noting that mechanical throttles are generally preferred because “they provide both immediate and tactile feedback to the operator.”
https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/11/2...nical-controls

I am sure Bob and Doug are very well trained... they know all the right answers.
genec is online now  
Old 06-08-20, 11:37 PM
  #6  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 10,904

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Diamondback Expert TG, Burley Samba

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 364 Posts
It’s almost like the indexed shifting thing, yeah? Wasn’t it better to grind the gears?... no, it wasn’t.

Congrats to SpaceX for recreating Gemini.
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is online now  
Old 06-09-20, 12:51 AM
  #7  
clemsongirl 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: california
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
I am sure Bob and Doug are very well trained... they know all the right answers.
i am sure they know more about the SpaceX Crew Dragon than you!!....they also went into it from the beginning with a very open mind to new possibilities, unlike some who don't seem to be able to.
__________________
"The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron
clemsongirl is offline  
Old 06-09-20, 04:25 AM
  #8  
genec
genec
Thread Starter
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,591

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8684 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 703 Posts
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
i am sure they know more about the SpaceX Crew Dragon than you!!....they also went into it from the beginning with a very open mind to new possibilities, unlike some who don't seem to be able to.
New, isn't always better.
genec is online now  
Likes For genec:
Old 06-09-20, 05:13 AM
  #9  
ahsposo 
Turgid Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hypertonic State
Posts: 7,126

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 1,112 Times in 689 Posts
Yeah, I had a 1978 Toyota Corolla that had a distributor rotor tip break early one morning on a exit off of I-75 near Naples, FL one night, Used a paper clip to get me to a parts store. Sorry no picture, I left my cell phone in the future.

My current ride has never challenged my inner McGuyver, not even the tires. Remember changing flats?
__________________
Originally Posted by CarlJohnson View Post
i dont care who he is cos im carl and im awesome
ahsposo is offline  
Old 06-09-20, 05:14 AM
  #10  
ahsposo 
Turgid Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hypertonic State
Posts: 7,126

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 1,112 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
New, isn't always better.
But many times it is.

EDIT: Take Windows 7 vs. Vista for example.

And, I really hate to admit, Windows 10 versus 7. Now, W8 versus W7?
__________________
Originally Posted by CarlJohnson View Post
i dont care who he is cos im carl and im awesome
ahsposo is offline  
Old 06-09-20, 05:37 AM
  #11  
genec
genec
Thread Starter
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,591

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8684 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 703 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Yeah, I had a 1978 Toyota Corolla that had a distributor rotor tip break early one morning on a exit off of I-75 near Naples, FL one night, Used a paper clip to get me to a parts store. Sorry no picture, I left my cell phone in the future.

My current ride has never challenged my inner McGuyver, not even the tires. Remember changing flats?
Had to change the flat on a rental car, about 5 years ago. We were in a remote location, on an island in the PNW.

About 8 in the evening, had just left a small cafe... on our way back to the little motel... and I noticed the steering acting funny. Pulled over and saw the right front tire was flat. Changed it after finding all the stuff... jack and tools.

Took the flat to a Le Schawb tire dealer the next day, they fixed it no charge.
genec is online now  
Old 06-09-20, 05:43 AM
  #12  
ahsposo 
Turgid Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hypertonic State
Posts: 7,126

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 1,112 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Had to change the flat on a rental car, about 5 years ago. We were in a remote location, on an island in the PNW.

About 8 in the evening, had just left a small cafe... on our way back to the little motel... and I noticed the steering acting funny. Pulled over and saw the right front tire was flat. Changed it after finding all the stuff... jack and tools.

Took the flat to a Le Schawb tire dealer the next day, they fixed it no charge.
In 1978 I changed flats on my cars on a regular basis. Tires are definitely more reliable today. I'll even go so far to say clinchers are superior to tubular. I am not going into CF vs. steel.
__________________
Originally Posted by CarlJohnson View Post
i dont care who he is cos im carl and im awesome
ahsposo is offline  
Old 06-09-20, 06:31 AM
  #13  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
 
FiftySix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,615

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 601 Posts
The way I figure it, the Dragon can fly and maneuver without the astronauts. Which has already been proven and makes the touchscreens not entirely necessary, so if one fails . . .

AI is going to explore deep space anyway, just like previously unmanned missions.

FiftySix is online now  
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 06-09-20, 08:35 AM
  #14  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 4,414

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Problem is, sure it works, but those are software switches... what happens when a micrometeor tears through a memory chip somewhere or a a fan blows during a cryo stir or something, and a circuit can't be activated or bypassed?

No doubt there is triple redundancy in the system... and I am just whining... but in all my years in electronics, I have never trusted "soft" controls... Especially on/off functions that require you to hold the button for 3 seconds. I want a "hard" off somewhere... even if it is just pulling a fuse.

Again... no doubt there are great redundancies.
Soft controls are used exclusively in the entertainment industry, lighting and audio control systems. These are systems that HAVE to work else the promoter has hundreds of thousands of dollars needing to be refunded. Granted it's not life or death, but the systems can and are well engineered to be redundant and reliable. It's no longer rocket science. And gains the benefit of when you add or change features, it's a reasonable change on the touch screens that results in greater functionality and usefulness.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 06-09-20, 08:44 AM
  #15  
genec
genec
Thread Starter
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,591

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8684 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 703 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
Soft controls are used exclusively in the entertainment industry, lighting and audio control systems. These are systems that HAVE to work else the promoter has hundreds of thousands of dollars needing to be refunded. Granted it's not life or death, but the systems can and are well engineered to be redundant and reliable. It's no longer rocket science. And gains the benefit of when you add or change features, it's a reasonable change on the touch screens that results in greater functionality and usefulness.
Not much "turbulence" in the entertainment industry, eh?

In turbulence, the touch screen is basically useless. But, the important devices all have buttons and knobs. I can be banging my head on the ceiling (literally) and still adjust the auto-pilot or radio. In that kind of turbulence, the touch screen device is completely useless.
OK, the basic argument here is that AI is good enough... so the "pilots" need not have robust back up systems, IE mechanical switches or tactile controls. And that may well be true. But recent findings have leaned back to tactile controls for certain "mission critical" situations. What we may not be seeing in those photos are ALL the controls, but only just the displays and certain controls. I will grant you the displays are probably vastly better than a bunch of gauges, and they do have a nice big window.
genec is online now  
Old 06-09-20, 08:51 AM
  #16  
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Looney Tunes, IL
Posts: 6,978

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 293 Posts
My wife and I were considering a new Cadillac ATS coupe over 4 years ago, even took one home for a day. Almost all came with the highly pushed (by the manufacture) touch screen that controlled almost everything. There were a lot of poor reviews of the system regarding basic functionality, and even outright failures. We ended up buying a Mercedes C-350 coupe with manual controls and have been very happy with it. Haven't tried it in space though.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 06-09-20 at 08:55 AM.
AlmostTrick is offline  
Old 06-09-20, 09:47 AM
  #17  
genec
genec
Thread Starter
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,591

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8684 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 703 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
My wife and I were considering a new Cadillac ATS coupe over 4 years ago, even took one home for a day. Almost all came with the highly pushed (by the manufacture) touch screen that controlled almost everything. There were a lot of poor reviews of the system regarding basic functionality, and even outright failures. We ended up buying a Mercedes C-350 coupe with manual controls and have been very happy with it. Haven't tried it in space though.
Will you be able to get a launch window?
genec is online now  
Old 06-09-20, 01:21 PM
  #18  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 4,414

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Not much "turbulence" in the entertainment industry, eh?

Nope, thank God.

Thing is, these can be very good and reliable. All the stuff that requires tactile feedback is still analog components, as they should be.

There’s something to be said for looking at the screen to determine information and instead of then reaching for the appropriate button (out of hundreds), the button is part of the information on the display. That’s actually faster and more intuitive. Some companies are really good at developing this stuff, some are not, Boeing might be an example. Garmin another.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 06-09-20, 01:32 PM
  #19  
genec
genec
Thread Starter
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,591

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8684 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 703 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
Nope, thank God.

Thing is, these can be very good and reliable. All the stuff that requires tactile feedback is still analog components, as they should be.

There’s something to be said for looking at the screen to determine information and instead of then reaching for the appropriate button (out of hundreds), the button is part of the information on the display. That’s actually faster and more intuitive. Some companies are really good at developing this stuff, some are not, Boeing might be an example. Garmin another.
With that in mind... It would sure be nice if there was some UI commonality in the typical family car. Oh sure, steering wheel, gas and brake are located in standard locations... but go rent a car at a few airports and try turning on things like the radio or AC... Hang on... RTFM!

As I mentioned earlier, the display looked quite good... I wonder what other control devices they had... for that "analog aspect."
I also still wonder about system isolation in case of module failure... opps sorry BSOD simply due to cryofan failure...

clemsongirl "It worked just like the simulator..." Yeah, until it doesn't. Heck, even Windows laptops look good in the store.
genec is online now  
Old 06-09-20, 06:34 PM
  #20  
skidder
Bipsycorider
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,085

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/s...gon-comparison

The issue I have with this is that the Shuttle had mechanical switches, Crew Dragon has touch screens... mechanical switches never failed due to a software error.

Anyone having seen Apollo 13 will recall how the system had to be brought up out of sequence and with limited resources... Crew Dragon... I hope to heck you never have to "reboot." "I'm sorry, Dave's not here..."
YouTube and the Space-X site have plenty of videos and descriptions of the Dragon capsule's controls. Apparently that strip you see below the display screens consists of switches and keyboard-style controls (yeah . . software), and that is what can be used for manual control, so its not all a touch screen system. Pretty cool any way you look at it, even compared to the older manned spacecraft, although not a lot of user wear and tear trips on the Dragon design yet.

If you want 'old-school' you can also find videos showing the inside of the Soyuz capsule. Pretty old design, and just about all manual controls, but reliable as h3ll; They even had to abort just after a lift-off last year and the escape system worked as planned.
skidder is offline  
Old 06-09-20, 10:27 PM
  #21  
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member
 
Jseis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SW Washington state on the ocean!
Posts: 1,539

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 31 Posts
Speaking of switches, this last weekend I came across a points file in one of my tool boxes. I’ve one vehicle that needs it (‘41 Ford 9N). The Hall Effect plus other tech advances do wonders for IC motors. Otherwise I’d still be using that file. Lots of memories keeping my ‘62 Bug rolling.

That being said... the ‘41 is simple but it’s not orbital material. And none of Elon’s rockets will get thousands of hours of run time nor last 80 years.
__________________
Make Amerika Grate Cheese Again
Jseis is offline  
Old 06-10-20, 07:37 AM
  #22  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
 
FiftySix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,615

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
Speaking of switches, this last weekend I came across a points file in one of my tool boxes. I’ve one vehicle that needs it (‘41 Ford 9N). The Hall Effect plus other tech advances do wonders for IC motors. Otherwise I’d still be using that file. Lots of memories keeping my ‘62 Bug rolling.

That being said... the ‘41 is simple but it’s not orbital material. And none of Elon’s rockets will get thousands of hours of run time nor last 80 years.
My last vehicle with points (dual points, in fact) was my '78 Honda CB750F2 motorsickle that I owned from 1996 to 2003 (if I remember correctly). About once per year, I'd do a points adjust, valve adjust, timing chain adjust, and sync the four non-CV carbs on that bike. I kinda miss that retro ride. I always started it with the kickstarter while in front of others, just for the full retro effect.

I still use points files for my job. Some of the machines I work on still have relays that I can get working with a points file, while waiting for a replacement relay to come in.
FiftySix is online now  
Old 06-10-20, 07:44 AM
  #23  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
 
FiftySix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,615

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
https://aviation.stackexchange.com/q...ns-in-cockpits


https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/11/2...nical-controls

I am sure Bob and Doug are very well trained... they know all the right answers.
One thing's for sure, the Space Shuttle is a space plane while the Dragon is not. I'd think if a new human flown Space Shuttle came out, it would still have a lot of physical controls compared to a "capsule" like the Dragon.
FiftySix is online now  
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 06-10-20, 07:58 AM
  #24  
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 8,349

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 818 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
One thing's for sure, the Space Shuttle is a space plane while the Dragon is not. I'd think if a new human flown Space Shuttle came out, it would still have a lot of physical controls compared to a "capsule" like the Dragon.
This. Much of what's in the picture of the shuttle are flight controls, and the Dragon never needs to fly. After all, the point at which humans interact with technology tend to be the weakest link in any system. Just because the graphics on the screens are all Hollywood-movie fancy doesn't mean the software is especially sophisticated. They can be completely separate packages.

Lastly, does anyone think Elon would sign off on a crowded little capsule full of switches?
__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Old 06-10-20, 08:17 AM
  #25  
genec
genec
Thread Starter
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,591

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8684 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 703 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
One thing's for sure, the Space Shuttle is a space plane while the Dragon is not. I'd think if a new human flown Space Shuttle came out, it would still have a lot of physical controls compared to a "capsule" like the Dragon.
Very valid point... indeed the Shuttle was "flown" to the landing destination... and thus required certain "hands on" controls. Crew Dragon is more like Gemini, or a "SpaceUber," used to get Astronauts to orbit for some other connection.

"Welcome aboard Crew Dragon."
"Today your pilot is AI and we will reach an orbital height of 254 miles at 17,150 miles per hour."
"Please ensure your tray table is stowed and your seatbelt is fastened, thank you for launching with SpaceX."

Last edited by genec; 06-10-20 at 08:20 AM.
genec is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.