How's your grocery?

Old 06-23-20, 08:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11369 Post(s)
Liked 2,994 Times in 1,669 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
That is the theory. It might be contaminated and be a danger to the staff if they have to handle it. I think its fairly bogus, but using only their bags does seem to make the process go more quickly and smoothly.
Nobody touches by bag accept me. Real cyclists bag their own groceries

Seriously....Now that you mention it, I have seen people bring re-suable bags to places like Whole Foods and stand there while the cashier bags their purchases. And I am not talking about frail people. Even in normal times I am thinking about the people behind me waiting in line. I bag my own stuff as it's coming down the belt.
Old 06-23-20, 09:29 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8643 Post(s)
Liked 994 Times in 685 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Nobody touches by bag accept me. Real cyclists bag their own groceries

Seriously....Now that you mention it, I have seen people bring re-suable bags to places like Whole Foods and stand there while the cashier bags their purchases. And I am not talking about frail people. Even in normal times I am thinking about the people behind me waiting in line. I bag my own stuff as it's coming down the belt.
If you bag your own stuff that is one thing... but either way... when was the last time you cleaned your bag? That has long been an issue, before the virus.

People bringing in reusable bags that might have had leaking products in them, or been stored in a questionable location... bringing those in and setting them down on the checkstand. Even a purse or backpack could be a germ carrier... and now with COVID... what germs did you bring in?
Old 06-23-20, 10:00 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by genec View Post
and now with COVID... what germs did you bring in?
Pretty sure the bottom, outside of my bag isn't infected with COVID. No cough or other symptoms, and it's elderly.
Old 06-23-20, 10:08 AM
genec
genec

Pretty sure the bottom, outside of my bag isn't infected with COVID. No cough or other symptoms, and it's elderly.
It all depends on what surfaces you set it upon, and who was there before you.

Now, if you have cleaned your bag... then keep it in your control, don't set it down until you are sure you are placing it on a clean surface... likely you are correct.

However, if you set it on any non porous surface, in any public area, just minutes after "someone else" came by and sneezed... All bets are off.

BTW the bottom of women's purses are notoriously "dirty."

The worst offender is the bottom of a bag because women often place their purses on the floor in bathrooms when doors don’t offer hooks. (Yep, we’re talking fecal bacteria here. Yummy.) Next in line are a bag’s handles since your hands are some of the most frequent germ spreaders out there. Finally, we take a peek inside the bag, which is full of dead skill cells, mucus-borne bacteria and more.
https://swirled.com/how-dirty-is-my-purse/
Old 06-23-20, 10:27 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by genec View Post
It all depends on what surfaces you set it upon, and who was there before you.

Now, if you have cleaned your bag... then keep it in your control, don't set it down until you are sure you are placing it on a clean surface... likely you are correct.

However, if you set it on any non porous surface, in any public area, just minutes after "someone else" came by and sneezed... All bets are off.

BTW the bottom of women's purses are notoriously "dirty."

https://swirled.com/how-dirty-is-my-purse/
I suppose anything is possible if you imagine hard enough.

And I don't carry a woman's purse.
Old 06-23-20, 01:24 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 70 Posts
A lot depends on how your grocery store is set up. The place I go is set up for the cashiers to bag the groceries and it would be a bit awkward with all the plexiglass screens and such to bag your own. Other stores are different and set up explicitly for shoppers to bag their own.

Transmission from surfaces is certainly possible, but appears to be extremely rare for this particular virus, so this form of transmission isn't a big risk, but its one that is easy to mitigate - just leave your refillable bags at home.
Old 06-23-20, 01:29 PM
genec
genec

I suppose anything is possible if you imagine hard enough.

And I don't carry a woman's purse.
I don't have to imagine a thing... someone did some studies... Just sayin' don't go and assume "your stuff don't stink" unless you honestly have taken steps to ensure that.

Sure, not a purse... but do you treat your bag like a purse... where do you put it down? Was that spot clean?
Old 06-23-20, 01:47 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 11490 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 725 Posts
I don't get a lot of bags, but I haven't noticed any signs around here about reusable bags. For some reason I really only use the reusables up in Portland, generally because I'm walking more.

Winco (groceries) was "sanitizing" every cart before use (although rapid). At least one Goodwill store sanitizes the checkout counter after every customer. Goodwill requires masks for all customers and staff. Winco (groceries) does not.

Bulk foods have come back at Winco, including the scoop yourself bins. My belief is the risk is low if one doesn't immediately eat everything raw.
Old 06-23-20, 02:08 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,097 Times in 708 Posts
HEB here is doing a good job disinfecting shopping carts and having a shield between you and the cashier. The last town to get supplies before you get to the river parks in the hill country. So many people passing through not wearing masks or keeping a distance.

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 06-23-20 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-24-20, 07:45 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 97 Posts
Mask usage at the grocery stores here has steadily increased in is now at about 80%.

I haven't seen anyone bagging their own since this began and I don't think the checkers would like it. They want the customer to stand behind the plexiglass screen in front of the cashier until the transaction is complete.

One way aisles are working better as people get used to them. But there are still the anti-mask folks who walk the wrong way down the aisles with impudent scowls on their faces. They're gonna show us we're all fools for exercising caution.

edit: went back today and noted that people were using their own bags, but the baggers were packing them. county ordinance mandating mask use in public goes into effect tomorrow.

Last edited by jon c.; 06-24-20 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-24-20, 10:27 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 127 Posts
I suppose anything is possible if you imagine hard enough. ...
>>> and that is why there is an underlying sense of anxiety that pervades all aspects of daily life >>> the extent to which one can cope with the "possibilities " of having contacted COVID pretty much defines the present quality of one's daily life