Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Top mount brake lever recommendation?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-20, 04:44 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts

Hi guys, looking to buy some top mount brake levers for a drop bar. Any recommendation on brand and model I can purchase?
Old 06-24-20, 08:33 PM
Skimax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I have the tektro RL721 levers on the top of my drops. I have only ridden this bike about 50 miles so far but they have been good so far!
Old 06-24-20, 08:35 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by Skimax
I have the tektro RL721 levers on the top of my drops. I have only ridden this bike about 50 miles so far but they have been good so far!
thanks bro
Old 06-24-20, 09:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
If I want super high quality and MUSA: Paul Cross Levers
If I want lower cost but good quality: Cane Creek CrossTop Levers
If I want carbon: TRP RL 951 / 956
If I want drillium: All City Cross Levers
Old 06-24-20, 10:31 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by veganbikes
is there a big difference between a Tektro and Cane Creek?
Old 06-24-20, 10:38 PM
Skimax

If I were to venture a guess, I would say that the cane creek, TRP and the All City levers are all the exact same base lever as the tektros...

cane creeks are probably the exact same thing just with a different name pasted on, the TRPs use the same mechanism but just swap on a carbon pull and the all city’s just drill out some of the material for speed holes...
Old 06-24-20, 10:40 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

If I were to venture a guess, I would say that the cane creek, TRP and the All City levers are all the exact same base lever as the tektros...

cane creeks are probably the exact same thing just with a different name pasted on, the TRPs use the same mechanism but just swap on a carbon pull and the all city’s just drill out some of the material for speed holes...

very informative, thank you
Old 06-24-20, 10:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by jay4usc
is there a big difference between a Tektro and Cane Creek?
Cane Creek is an American company, Tektro is a Taiwanese company. Cane Creek makes some of the finest and lightest rim brakes on the market as well as excellent headsets, suspension products and other neat stuff. Tektro is brake focused and hits a massive chunk of the OEM market and churns out some decent stuff at lower prices.

I think you might have meant Tektro and TRP (Tektro Racing Products). If so not a huge difference but the TRP stuff is generally of higher quality and more likely produced in their Taiwan factories rather than Chinese ones. TRP for them is kind of like S-Works for Specialized in a way. It is the higher end more polished product.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-24-20, 10:45 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Cane Creek is an American company, Tektro is a Taiwanese company. Cane Creek makes some of the finest and lightest rim brakes on the market as well as excellent headsets, suspension products and other neat stuff. Tektro is brake focused and hits a massive chunk of the OEM market and churns out some decent stuff at lower prices.

I think you might have meant Tektro and TRP (Tektro Racing Products). If so not a huge difference but the TRP stuff is generally of higher quality and more likely produced in their Taiwan factories rather than Chinese ones. TRP for them is kind of like S-Works for Specialized in a way. It is the higher end more polished product.
Tektro levers are about $10 cheaper compared to Cane Creek. They do look identical and just wondering if it’s worth paying extra $10.

thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

Last edited by jay4usc; 06-24-20 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-24-20, 11:01 PM
Skimax

Tektro levers are about $10 cheaper compared to Cane Creek. They do look identical and just wondering if it’s worth paying extra $10.

thanks for the info, really appreciate it?
pretty certain cane creek sources their levers from Tektro and they are the exact same thing just with different branding. Google it and you will find others saying a lot of cane creek brake stuff is just rebranded tektro. I was researching this recently and with this info I chose to just go with the tektros since they were cheaper.
Old 06-24-20, 11:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

thanks for the info, really appreciate it?
They certainly look close but honestly I have never done a side by side. to 100% confirm. Currently owning the Cane Creek ones I would say yes. I bought them many years ago and they are still working fine.
Old 06-24-20, 11:12 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

pretty certain cane creek sources their levers from Tektro and they are the exact same thing just with different branding. Google it and you will find others saying a lot of cane creek brake stuff is just rebranded tektro. I was researching this recently and with this info I chose to just go with the tektros since they were cheaper.
Just read a few reviews and you’re correct they are pretty much the same thing.
Old 06-25-20, 09:10 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Spend an extra $10 for piece of mind.....or spend the difference on brake cables.....what to do.
Old 06-25-20, 09:31 AM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Never had an issue with Tektro. Have owned both them and Cane Creek. Not much, if any difference.
Old 06-25-20, 10:47 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Thanks for all the great info guys. I’m probably going to go with the Tektro