Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pain

Old 06-25-20, 01:11 PM
Roadlizzard

Bikes: TREK 8000,Trek Domane 4.5,Felt FR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pain

Just recently I have started having a pain on the out side of my left foot just behind the little toe, it usually take 3 hours of riding to get really bad. The bike has over 8200 miles on it the pedals SPD-SL have always been on the bike. My shoes are SIDI Genius 7 Mega and are about a year old with over 4000 miles on them. Never had an issue until a couple week ago.Thanks for any info on how to adjust the cleats and stop the pain.
Old 06-25-20, 05:30 PM
Orion12521

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not a doctor, but I had this exact thing happen to me about 18 months ago. What cured it for me was cleat wedges. The ones I got were Bike Fit Systems Cleat Wedges, but I'm sure any would work. For me I put the wedge so that it built up a little more space on the inside of my foot. It was counter-intuitive for me, but this allows more force to be produced from the ball of the foot than the outside. Less force driving the outside of my foot into the outside of my shoe was a good thing. I was to the point I was in so much pain, I couldn't ride and had visited a podiatrist to discuss surgery options. Within weeks of putting the wedges in, my pain alleviated and I haven't had a problem since. Likely the best $25 I've ever spent, because the surgery option was horrific.
Likes For Orion12521:
Old 06-25-20, 06:13 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Cervélo C2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 248 Posts
I have experienced this as well, and have not been able to figure out why. Most rides it doesn’t happen at all, and it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the length of time in the saddle either. When it does happen the pain build until it’s unbearable.
Old 06-27-20, 05:00 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 183 Posts
"Pain is just donuts leaving the body" Homer J. Simpson
Likes For ls01:
Old 06-27-20, 09:01 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Trek Boone 9, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 78 Posts
Out of curiosity, how old are you? I have an interest in foot issues and I'm theorizing that most foot issues start to materialize for men after their 30's. I say "materialize" because it's likely that the cause of the issue is likely starting way before then, but the pain doesn't happen until we start getting old and falling apart

If you can get 3 hours out of a ride w/o foot pain issues, I think you're still doing pretty good! How is the toe box of your shoes in relation to the width of your foot? Are your toes "scrunched" or do you have wiggle room in the toe box?

The base of my big toes started aching in my 40s and after doing some experimenting, I'm convinced the issue was caused by the standard shoe having a pointy toe box that caused my big toes to point inward (towards the other toes) rather than allowing the toe to splay like it's naturally supposed to. I've noticed that I almost never have this pain wearing my normal street shoes that all have a very wide toe box, but I still get the pain occasionally when biking because I have yet to find a bicycle shoe that has a natural foot shape.

Pretty much all cycling shoes I've ever seen are shaped like the shoes on the left. As you can see, one's toes are often "squished" for hours on end in an unnatural position and over time, joint issues like bunions can occur.

Old 06-27-20, 12:39 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 53 Posts
SIDIs have tragic sole inserts compared to the other cycling shoes I have. Switched the cardboard-esque cutout Italian ones for ones from Specialized and that fixed a lot of feet issues like hurting toes and hot spots.

However, still like to take my shoes off every 5-6 hours to give the feet a bit of a break on long rides.
Old 06-28-20, 02:55 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 109 Posts
Do you have Boas on your shoes?
Old 06-28-20, 04:26 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 42 Posts
Ever thought about carbon sole inserts specific to your foot?
Old 06-30-20, 03:05 PM
markynels

Bikes: Crit: CAAD13 / Track: TipoPista / Trials: Evolve

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Common causes/remedies;
  1. Shoes laced too tight
  2. Uncompensated forefoot varus positioning. Fixes include;​​​​​​​
    1. Cleat position (slam them all the way back, and centre them on the foot bed as a baseline)
    2. Appropriate arch support
    3. Pedal washers may help flatten the load as well; sometimes only takes just one small washer to correct..
    4. Wedges (last resort)
  3. Reassess saddle height
    1. Are you listing to one side? The outer edge pain is usually a result of over extending and compensating for this additional reach. Would be interesting to compare knee angles from both sides - check out the application 'BFF Elite' which may provide a good reference point