Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Substance vs Style

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Substance vs Style

Old 06-27-20, 09:37 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked 1,098 Times in 709 Posts
Substance vs Style

I think I made wise decisions financially over the years. With not knowing how long this Covid virus will have everything slowing to a crawl. Iím thinking on ways to be smart not to get into a crack by doing unwise things. Things of substance is far more important right now. The style stuff can take a backseat as far as I am concerned. Iíve seen too many relatives get in horrible financial situations because they need the best and the greatest and people were very willing to sell it to them. Didnít work out to well for them in the long run. Luckily I didnít catch that disease and always had the older truck the less fancy material goods and so on. This crisis is really making me think hard about what is important and what is not.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 06-28-20, 02:29 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 177 Posts
I want to see what changes society makes as the virus becomes less of a problem. Hopefully the changes for the better will be more common, but I don't have enough faith in humanity to be live that will be the case.
Likes For no motor?:
Old 06-28-20, 04:14 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 129 Posts
SEPARATE & APART from earning a living & having children getting an education all of which will be ??? ones social life will be forever impacted > before this is over you will be wary of strangers & FRIENDS ... learn how to live with fewer face to face needs ... the more remote you can be the better off you will be ... try and understand that all prior social conventions will not return ... crowds may be gone & along with them a part of the "entertainment/sports industry > movies games music & their venues ........... places like Hondo Tx will be more attractive than the Houstons or Austins
Old 06-28-20, 04:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11385 Post(s)
Liked 3,024 Times in 1,682 Posts
Judging from the number of people who lined up out PA malls hours before they reopened on Friday, and the way people instantly flooded bars in other states when they were allowed to serve indoors, I donít believe a lot of people are planning to change their behaviors. Local news interviewed a high school senior who was hanging out at the Jersey shore, not practicing safe behaviors. In a nutshell she said sheíd be sad if she sickens people in her family but that sheíd already missed so much of what senior year was supposed to be about. This came on the heels of one person infecting a dozen others after spending a week at a shore house. She brought it home with her.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-28-20, 04:58 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 192 Posts
Lots of folks in my country like to thrash the hell out of their credit cards... I think we might have the highest private debt ratio in the world. Bunch of shallow wankers, sucked into grasping consumerism, gotta have a repulsive black AMG SUV and a mcmansion, full of crap bought on the card. Watching reality shows on commercial telly, listening to commercial radio, driving like ****en pigs on their way to hoard toilet paper, and once in a while voting for a pack of transparent charlatans who illegally sprinkle baubles of middle class welfare and bleed the whole place dry with their insane vampiric crony capitalism.

Don't get me started
Old 06-28-20, 06:16 AM
ahsposo 
Turgid Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4374 Post(s)
Liked 1,091 Times in 675 Posts
I'm just thankful I have a pot to pee in. Don't hate me just because it's solid gold and encrusted with precious jewels.
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 06-28-20, 06:32 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 210 Posts
Being impressed by gold and wealth has taken a back seat to survival, and health. Unfortunately it took a pandemic for most Americans to see things of real importance...about 4 years too late.
​​​​​​
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 06-28-20, 07:14 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
Lots of folks in my country like to thrash the hell out of their credit cards... I think we might have the highest private debt ratio in the world. Bunch of shallow wankers, sucked into grasping consumerism, gotta have a repulsive black AMG SUV and a mcmansion, full of crap bought on the card. Watching reality shows on commercial telly, listening to commercial radio, driving like ****en pigs on their way to hoard toilet paper, and once in a while voting for a pack of transparent charlatans who illegally sprinkle baubles of middle class welfare and bleed the whole place dry with their insane vampiric crony capitalism.

Don't get me started
If your info had not shown you are in Australia I would have thought you were describing people in Southern California. Not much difference, is there? (except the funny accent! ).
Old 06-28-20, 07:58 AM
ahsposo 
Turgid Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

I say, if you have to die you might as well die deep in debt. You can't take it with you...
Old 06-28-20, 08:17 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
I think I made wise decisions financially over the years. With not knowing how long this Covid virus will have everything slowing to a crawl. I’m thinking on ways to be smart not to get into a crack by doing unwise things. Things of substance is far more important right now. The style stuff can take a backseat as far as I am concerned. I’ve seen too many relatives get in horrible financial situations because they need the best and the greatest and people were very willing to sell it to them. Didn’t work out to well for them in the long run. Luckily I didn’t catch that disease and always had the older truck the less fancy material goods and so on. This crisis is really making me think hard about what is important and what is not.
Virus or not, the important thing is to.... always, spend less than you make. When younger people ask me for investing advice I always tell them "No matter what, save money. You need to treat saving money like air, you can't do without it", "People who understand interest... earn it. Those who don't... pay it".
Old 06-28-20, 10:39 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 587 Posts
Thankfully, bicycling can be a very affordable pastime/sport.

Likes For FiftySix:
Old 06-28-20, 10:54 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Volae Team, '74ish Windsor Carrera Sport, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 159 Posts
The sad thing about high school seniors who think those will be the best days of their lives is, for too many itf them it's actually true.

My mom grew up in the great depression, and those experiences deeply affected her entire life. I wonder if there's a generation who will be similarly affected by the virus and associated impacts.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 06-28-20, 11:19 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
I'm just thankful I have a pot to pee in. Don't hate me just because it's solid gold and encrusted with precious jewels.
me too as long as i got pot and can pee im good
Old 06-28-20, 12:39 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 96 Posts
Style over substance was why I never liked Kiss
Likes For StupidlyBrave:
Old 06-28-20, 02:16 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked 1,098 Times in 709 Posts
KISS fan mostly for the stage show and imagery. Not the best musically but some songs are catchy. Nostalgia for me and makes me feel young Today I feel old until I get on my bike and get the blood flowing and the endorphins going.
Old 06-28-20, 04:38 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
We've seen the one you poop in, you should even them out.
Old 06-28-20, 04:53 PM
ahsposo 
Turgid Member

Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
We've seen the one you poop in, you should even them out.
I'll have to ask my Chief of Staff, see if I have somebody on that. I'll have somebody get back to you with a progress update.
Old 06-28-20, 06:00 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "Frankentrek"/"Camel-Trek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 175 Posts
In my past, I went in and out of credit card debt (where I was doing good to pay the interest) twice. Didn't learn my lesson the first time. Also got into student loans....

Been a decade since I've had any outstanding debt and IT FEELS GREAT! If I can't pay for it up front, don't need it. Took a lot of discipline to get there, and I'm richer for it
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 06-29-20, 04:10 AM
indyfabz

Never had any credit card debt. Paid off the mortgage early. Just paid off the car last month. Took nearly the entire 4 years because it was a no interest loan.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-29-20, 08:26 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Never had any credit card debt. Paid off the mortgage early. Just paid off the car last month. Took nearly the entire 4 years because it was a no interest loan.
>>> you are a lucky FEL{l}A . im mostly upside down & JONES acting thru life
Old 06-29-20, 08:32 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
>>> you are a lucky FEL{l}A . im mostly upside down & JONES acting thru life
Luck has little (if anything) to do with it. Hard work, creating a niche for myself career-wise and living below my means. And I took two year off from the working world starting at age 34 with no government benefits like unemployment.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-29-20, 08:38 AM
TakingMyTime

Luck has little (if anything) to do with it. Hard work, creating a niche for myself career-wise and living below my means.
Yep, it's really not as hard as everyone seems to imagine it to be. Make a few good decisions and you can live a good life. Maybe even retire early. I always like the saying "Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid".
Old 06-29-20, 08:48 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
Yep, it's really not as hard as everyone seems to imagine it to be. Make a few good decisions and you can live a good life. Maybe even retire early. I always like the saying "Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid".
The mistake i regret the most is being way too conservative with my retirement savings investment early on. Had I taken average risk, I might have been able to retire by now (age 55). The real issue is benefits. I have a darn good package through work, including medical with a $1,500 deductible and a $5,000 yearly out of pocket maximum. That's a tough nut to give up. Hoping this country gets universal care in the next five year because I highly doubt I will work beyond 60.
Old 06-29-20, 08:55 AM
TakingMyTime

The mistake i regret the most is being way too conservative with my retirement savings investment early on. Had I taken average risk, I might have been able to retire by now (age 55).
I would have to agree with you on that. I did have a couple of hiccups in the past (35 years ago) where a business partner left me hanging for $13k in taxes and once when I was given a small chunk of a grandparents estate ($10k) which I blew through without thinking. But like you said, I wish I would have been a little more aggressive with certain investments, but I'm where I think I should be,
Old 07-02-20, 01:03 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 587 Posts
The mistake i regret the most is being way too conservative with my retirement savings investment early on. Had I taken average risk, I might have been able to retire by now (age 55). The real issue is benefits. I have a darn good package through work, including medical with a $1,500 deductible and a $5,000 yearly out of pocket maximum. That's a tough nut to give up. Hoping this country gets universal care in the next five year because I highly doubt I will work beyond 60.
Yep. Don't give up that insurance prematurely. Up to the summer of 2016, we (my family) had reasonable health insurance premiums and coverage.

Once we lost that when my wife got laid off, my company's premium for three people (me, wife, college kid) has been offered at over $2K per month for the last several years. The last quote given in November 2019 was a premium of $2590.00 per month for some Blue Cross/Blue Shield Plan. Which means I haven't had insurance through my company in that time.

Here's two smart phone screen shots I took last November when shopping for health insurance at the healthcare.gov marketplace yet again. When the premiums get affordable, the deductibles are through the roof.

Last edited by FiftySix; 07-02-20 at 01:07 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.