Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

About 30 seconds out of a house fire last night

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 07-04-20, 07:02 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 96 Posts

Had some family over, having a grill out. We had been out in the garage and drive popping some fire crackers. A couple of smokers present. We had all come in for a moment to wait for it to get darker and watching the Bourne movies in a marathon on one of the channels. Thank GOD that the kids have good hearing....during a quiet part of the movie one of them asks what was beeping. Turns out that an ashtray caught fire and spread into some cloth and paint supplies/trash. The whole garage was FULL of smoke. Active fire in the corner that was mere seconds away from being fully involved with the wall and ceiling. Got hot enough to melt several of the paint and such containers on the shelf next to it. Melted the lower edge of a TV we have there.

A couple of tips.
Make sure your ashtrays are fully OUT.

Second, have a maintained fire extinguisher in your home, if not a couple of them. Had I NOT had a fire extinguisher on hand I would have been standing in the front yard watching my house burn down.

As a side, I HATE the nasty habit and have been after the wife to quit for decades now....I doubt even this will be enough. Cigarettes are worse than crack to you nicotine junkies.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 07-04-20, 07:40 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 135 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 07-04-20, 07:42 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Message is a bit unclear, but I am going to go with your saying (we) were lucky...and you are darned right about that. WAY too close!
Old 07-04-20, 08:09 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8663 Post(s)
Liked 1,005 Times in 694 Posts
There are smokers in my extended family. My rule is, you smoke outside... not in the garage, not in the barn, outside.

"But it's raining..."
"Too bad."
Old 07-04-20, 08:27 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by genec View Post
There are smokers in my extended family. My rule is, you smoke outside... not in the garage, not in the barn, outside.

"But it's raining..."
"Too bad."
Oh, I agree whole heartedly. Unfortunately the wife is half the equation and her vote apparently counts more than mine.

This is the second such serious occurrence over the years and she is just as Cavalier as ever about it. Just pretend it didn't happen level of 'it wasn't serious'.
Old 07-04-20, 08:58 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked 825 Times in 596 Posts
Glad to hear your house didn't burn down, Juan Foote.

I have two fire extinguishers in the garage and one in the kitchen pantry. My most recent use of a fire extinguisher was for a grease fire in our gas oven.

But, tonight will be another night of fireworks and the potential for fires from that. Fireworks are legal here in the unincorporated part of the county, so we'll see how it goes.
Old 07-04-20, 11:23 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8663 Post(s)
Liked 1,005 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
Oh, I agree whole heartedly. Unfortunately the wife is half the equation and her vote apparently counts more than mine.

This is the second such serious occurrence over the years and she is just as Cavalier as ever about it. Just pretend it didn't happen level of 'it wasn't serious'.
May I suggest a wet ashtray? A bucket of water that the butts get flung into. Yeah it is a gross habit... makes things smell bad, and kissing less pleasant. But FIRES... YIKES!
Likes For genec:
Old 07-04-20, 11:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11413 Post(s)
Liked 3,053 Times in 1,697 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
But, tonight will be another night of fireworks and the potential for fires from that. Fireworks are legal here in the unincorporated part of the county, so we'll see how it goes.
Someone set some off around the corner last night. Houses in my ‘hood are packed close together (all row homes). I was worried about them setting roofs on fire. They are legal in Philly, but it’s illegal to set them off near structures. Too many idiots in the world.
Old 07-11-20, 06:03 PM
KenCT 

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 33 Posts
Glad you caught it in time. I was a firefighter for 33 years and have been to many fires that ended up being minor due to working smoke detectors and the occupants having and using a fire extinguisher.
Old 07-11-20, 06:09 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 70 Posts
I noticed that some of the restaurants around here have an ashtray container that have water inside of it, so the ash that drops through the grill of the tray will fall into the water.
Old 07-11-20, 06:19 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked 702 Times in 489 Posts
I rode past a chilling scene years ago on my early morning commute. 5am. Fire crew cleaning up after a house fire. House was saved. Upstairs gutted, later rebuilt and home sold. But that crew was way too quiet. I am virtually certain that was someone who fell asleep smoking in bed.
Old 07-11-20, 06:48 PM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post

........Second, have a maintained fire extinguisher in your home, if not a couple of them. Had I NOT had a fire extinguisher on hand I would have been standing in the front yard watching my house burn down.
Glad to hear that everything turned out for the better.
I have plenty of fire extinguishers in the house, garage, and sheds, and a couple of them are from my sister as a birthday cake prank, couldn't let them go to waste.
Likes For roundypndr:
Old 07-11-20, 07:48 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Yes, in retrospect on this one we got extremely lucky. It turned out that the damage is all superficial. Left the garage door open most of the week and some cleaning around and the smell is either no longer evident, or we have gone nose blind to it.