Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Camouflage?

Old 07-04-20, 09:20 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Camouflage?

I am stuck i Guatemala and buying a decent Giant Urban Bike. New bikes are targets here, worse than Chicago. How do you disguise a shiny new frame. I was thinking duct tape might make it look older?
GM
​​​
Old 07-04-20, 09:48 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 153 Posts
Electrical tape always cleans up easier later and can look just as ghetto, bigger locks can also be a big difference in keeping your bike.
Old 07-05-20, 12:38 PM
krecik

Bikes: coastie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 54 Posts
Think of the crappiest brand bike and see if you can get their stickers. Also spray paint might be your friend.
Old 07-05-20, 01:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11404 Post(s)
Liked 3,045 Times in 1,693 Posts
Adequate lock.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-05-20, 01:38 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 96 Posts
I always recommend to people looking for an urban bike that will be out of sight to go to the co-op and find something that works and is already spray painted and ugly. IF you cannot keep this bike in a secure location or under your watchful eye it will likely get gone if it's anything that can be perceived as decent. Even if the whole bike cannot be stolen due to a "lock" (which we know is bull****), people will still gladly take seats, handlebars, wheels, anything they can turn loose quick and walk with.
Old 07-05-20, 03:02 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
I always recommend to people looking for an urban bike that will be out of sight to go to the co-op and find something that works and is already spray painted and ugly. IF you cannot keep this bike in a secure location or under your watchful eye it will likely get gone if it's anything that can be perceived as decent. Even if the whole bike cannot be stolen due to a "lock" (which we know is bull****), people will still gladly take seats, handlebars, wheels, anything they can turn loose quick and walk with.
Iíve been locking up bikes on the streets of Philadelphia for decades. Nice bikes. The replacement value of my racks on my touring//commuter is around $450. This weekend I did a three day tour in NJ. Never once used my lock. What am I doing right? Or wrong?

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-05-20 at 03:10 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-05-20, 03:17 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Iíve been locking up bikes on the streets of Philadelphia for decades. Nice bikes. The replacement value of my racks on my touring//commuter is around $450. This weekend I did a three day tour in NJ. Never once used my lock. What am I doing right? Or wrong?
Not sure. Have a rabbits foot?

Seriously, I cannot count the number of solitary rusty bike frames you see around Atlanta with a nice lock holding it to the rack or whatever...no other parts present.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 07-05-20, 04:10 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 127 Posts
I've met a couple fairly serious cyclists in Guatemala.

I think what they did was just never leave it anywhere. Ride from home, finish at home. If chilling at the beach, it's literally right next to you.

I wouldn't lock a bike there.
Old 07-06-20, 06:00 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
Not sure. Have a rabbits foot?

Seriously, I cannot count the number of solitary rusty bike frames you see around Atlanta with a nice lock holding it to the rack or whatever...no other parts present.
I am not stupid enough to leave them out over night. And I buy my rabbits without feet.
Old 07-06-20, 08:08 AM
BNSF

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado View Post
I am stuck i Guatemala and buying a decent Giant Urban Bike. New bikes are targets here, worse than Chicago.
​​​
Move to Chicago.
Old 07-06-20, 09:43 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
I am not stupid enough to leave them out over night. And I buy my rabbits without feet.
In Dublin that happens to bikes in broad daylight.

And the rabbits donít get very far without their feet.
Old 07-06-20, 05:30 PM
cubewheels

Bikes: A really old BMX bike and a 2020 Phantom 20" hybrid

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by krecik View Post
Think of the crappiest brand bike and see if you can get their stickers. Also spray paint might be your friend.
I bought the crappiest brand bike and the crap brand stickers came with it! What a bargain!
Old 07-06-20, 11:32 PM
krecik

Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
I bought the crappiest brand bike and the crap brand stickers came with it! What a bargain!
Yeah, it's a good trick, I heard it from other members here on BF. Here in the UK, Apollo or Muddy Fox stickers would do very nicely. Of course though, the bike does have to look a bit rough anyway, even an apollo sticker won't stop a thief from taking a nice looking bike, that's where the electric tape and spray paint come in.

I'm not that desperate because I already ride a rusty beater I found in the skip but for someone that rides an XK pricetag bike, these tactics may be useful. A lot of these thieves will look up the bike they are planning to steal to see if the juice is worth the squeeze. ****ty stickers might be a butt saver.
Old 07-07-20, 12:02 AM
cubewheels

Bikes: A really old BMX bike and a 2020 Phantom 20" hybrid

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 42 Posts
Yeah, it's a good trick, I heard it from other members here on BF. Here in the UK, Apollo or Muddy Fox stickers would do very nicely. Of course though, the bike does have to look a bit rough anyway, even an apollo sticker won't stop a thief from taking a nice looking bike, that's where the electric tape and spray paint come in.

I'm not that desperate because I already ride a rusty beater I found in the skip but for someone that rides an XK pricetag bike, these tactics may be useful. A lot of these thieves will look up the bike they are planning to steal to see if the juice is worth the squeeze. ****ty stickers might be a butt saver.
It might be possible to print crappy bike brand on paper and stick it on the frame with a clear, transparent vinyl sticker. While at it, you may even include "Made in China" on the stickers!

I painted directly on the bike instead using highly diluted white paint (using kerosene) as I don't intend on restoring the looks. Made my cheap new China bike look more than 5 years old. The diluted paint made everything look dusty and faded (drab) which is really nice. It also removed the gloss.
Old 07-07-20, 07:54 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 134 Posts
flat black krylon & put some duct tape on your tire(s) for the dead beater look & add rusty chain & cheap lock in hi crime areas
Old 07-07-20, 08:32 AM
krecik

Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
It might be possible to print crappy bike brand on paper and stick it on the frame with a clear, transparent vinyl sticker. While at it, you may even include "Made in China" on the stickers!

I painted directly on the bike instead using highly diluted white paint (using kerosene) as I don't intend on restoring the looks. Made my cheap new China bike look more than 5 years old. The diluted paint made everything look dusty and faded (drab) which is really nice. It also removed the gloss.
Yeah, that's a good suggestion, I don't suppose they sell apollo or mf stickers as they aren't exactly the kind of bikes anyone bothers to restore. Cool idea with the diluted white paint, you could do that on any colour bike to make it look sun bleached.

One time I saw an ebay ad where a guy was selling a bike that had a rust mimicking paint job, literally the whole frame looked like it was covered with rust but it was painted with different shades of brownish-red. The shades were kind of misted on and so blended. You could tell close up but it'd fool anyone from away.

Kret
Likes For krecik:
Old 07-07-20, 08:39 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 593 Posts

One time I saw an ebay ad where a guy was selling a bike that had a rust mimicking paint job, literally the whole frame looked like it was covered with rust but it was painted with different shades of brownish-red. The shades were kind of misted on and so blended. You could tell close up but it'd fool anyone from away.

Kret
$43 kit. Includes iron paint and rust activator.
Old 07-07-20, 09:23 AM
krecik

Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
$43 kit. Includes iron paint and rust activator.
Could have been this, good idea too but if I were doing it, I'd paint patches of rust here and there, not the whole frame. Too suspicious, no one's ever seen a completly rusted (working) bike, at least not comonly, some folks would like to have a closer look...
Old 07-07-20, 10:09 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 48 Posts
I wouldn't paint it, but the tape thing you could do, just don't cover the whole bike with the stuff or it will look too obvious, and if you cover decals the tape could peel off the decals should you ever remove the tape. Another stunt you could do, after you put some tape on, is to splatter mud all over the bike, if you do that you should wax it really well, buff that wax, then splatter the mud. Just keep the rims or the rotors (depending on what type of brakes you have) covered, and the chain and derailleurs covered and go to town with a mud slinging contest. When you get done with the mud your bike will look like a piece of schit that should be ignored.

As far as locks go, I would get either a Hiplok DX D lock, it costs around $90 and only weighs 2.4 pounds; or get a Abus Bordo Granit X Plus 6500, this is a folding lock so it's not so bulky to carry around like the first lock I mentioned, it cost more though at around $105 on Amazon, and it weighs a bit more at 3.8 pounds, but being that it has folding arms it can lock the bike up in more versatile positions vs a D lock. There are better locks than those that I mentioned but the weight goes up a lot to 5 pounds to as much as 13 pounds! and of course the price goes up as well, but a good medium duty lock like the ones I mentioned will be adequate without feeling like you're carrying an extra bike around town.
Old 07-07-20, 11:49 AM
blacknbluebikes

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
use old tubes for wrap, comes off better later.