Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Substance vs Style

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Substance vs Style

Old 07-05-20, 10:32 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked 1,110 Times in 714 Posts
I’ve been lucky on my 2016 RAM pickup no problems. I worry about the notorious Hemi tick that has plagued previous Hemi engines. 4 years only 38,000 miles and for out here that is low mileage. The Hemi tick is crummy lifters at start up bad lubrication. Change the oil every 10k with a good synthetic oil and a heavy duty oil filter and hopefully 250K before death. At this stage I just want to get to point A to B and have 4x4 and some towing capabilities.
Old 07-05-20, 12:46 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 177 Posts
Did you see the episode of Uncle Tony's Garage where he compared a 70's 318 with the modern hemi? He hated the oiling for the cam and lifters in the newer engines.
Old 07-05-20, 02:05 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked 1,110 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
Did you see the episode of Uncle Tony's Garage where he compared a 70's 318 with the modern hemi? He hated the oiling for the cam and lifters in the newer engines.
Didnít see that show. But Iím worried about oiling issue. Supposedly there is a fix that and should be a recall. Not sure.. Some say they fixed the problem but is that true? When my cam flattens out and the engines chirps ... I have my bikes
Old 07-05-20, 02:41 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 177 Posts
It's on YouTube.
Old 07-05-20, 05:58 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam View Post
Healthcare in America is just illusion after illusion. We pay more for our care (because someone will pay cash rates, set high so negotiated rates can cover more than a decade learning medicine), but our outcomes are worse than other countries (because the profit motive is so strong that sufficiently stubborn individuals can tough it out to get on that gravy train). "Insurance for all" and "Medicare for all" will result in substandard, overly expensive care (despite the fact that no single insurance provider has enough market share to negotiate favorably with larger medical networks). While it's true that killing the profit motive aspect might decrease the number of medical providers, it's unlikely to reduce the overall quality if the conscientious providers are the ones staying.
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
The dominant system in the US is profit based sickness care. We lead the world in costs, rank 37th on the WHO in results and things are getting worse.
As I was deleting old files this evening, I came across this screenshot I took of the healthinsurance.org home page during the open enrollment of 2017. To this day, a fitting image for many Americans.

Last edited by FiftySix; 07-05-20 at 07:22 PM.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 07-13-20, 06:34 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
Being impressed by gold and wealth has taken a back seat to survival, and health. Unfortunately it took a pandemic for most Americans to see things of real importance...about 4 years too late.
​​​​​​
Most Americans are seeing the things of real importance? They couldn't go to malls and private owned stores so they all packed together in Walmart and Lowes to drain their bank accounts. It has only changed where they were allowed to spend ridiculous amounts of money.