Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Ain't No Sunshine; Goodbye Bill

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 04-04-20, 06:13 AM
ahsposo 
Turgid Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 1,078 Times in 666 Posts

This guy wasn't the most prolific songwriter, his career was relatively short because he was just a "regular guy" and wanted to stay that way. I will admit that I never bought one of his albums, played one of his songs on a jukebox or bought it off of iTunes but his work is part of the soundtrack of my life. It took his obituary for me to appreciate what a remarkable, likable guy he was. I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention to him earlier.

When he officially entered the record business at age 31, he was wise enough to be properly repulsed by it, and he resolved to approach his songwriting in a broad-minded way. “You can make songs about trucks, ducks,” Withers told a Dutch television crew in 2011. “Everything you could possibly think or feel or imagine, whether you’re happy or homicidal or whatever — there’s probably a song for it.” (Chris Richards, Washington Post)

Withers’s discography flourished long after he retired from performing, but he opted out of the spotlight in favor of spending more time with his family. “I can make a record if I want to, but I’d rather spend the time home with my kids and snuggled up under my wife. It’s warm in there,” Withers told The Post in 1991 ahead of a stint at Blues Alley.

“One of my favorite quotes is from Louis Armstrong,” Withers added. “ ‘Better a has-been than a never-was.’ ”
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 04-04-20, 09:33 AM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 332 Posts
his inspirational ‘lean on me’ always has it’s place in times like what we are going through today!

Likes For clemsongirl:
Old 04-04-20, 10:13 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '75 Schwinn Continental, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Trek 500/400, '89 Schwinn Le Tour, '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 358 Posts
There's a Bill Withers thread in the C&V section that got an earlier start yesterday. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l-withers.html
USAZorro posted this really good song by Bill Withers I didn't know, and I didn't know about his military service until his death. The introduction reminds me a lot of the Bruce Springsteen into to his cover of War.

Old 04-04-20, 10:49 AM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 112 Posts
Been listening to his music for years. Sad to hear of his passing.

The Essential Bill Withers, a 2013 compilation album of many of his greatest works --

Old 04-04-20, 12:57 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 174 Posts
He did have an amazing story, and didn't get suckered into the music business like too many do.
Old 04-04-20, 06:28 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 460 Posts
Old 07-05-20, 02:48 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 174 Posts
Sound Opions featured him this week, I thought it was pretty interesting.