Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Multi-day touring and navigation (Sigma ROX 12)

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 06:07 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts

I plan my routes in Komoot and upload them to my Sigma ROX 12. All's well.

I'm about to take a multi-day tour and the whole route is loaded. At the end of each day I'll be staying in a hotel away from my route. I also don't know where I'll end each day. (I will begin the next day where I left off).

I can end navigation at the end of each day and save my info, but the next day, will it keep bugging me to go back to the start of the ride or will it figure it out that I'm starting at the 1/3 mark, for example?

The question might be too specific to the ROX but I'm wondering what you've done in this situation regardless of which GPS unit you're using. I'm trying to avoid editing and updating my tour each night to chop off the portions I've completed (but at least Komoot doesn't make that overly difficult).

Paul
Old 07-01-20, 08:29 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I wouldn't pin my hopes on one continuous route for multiple days. I'd break it up into smaller segments.

Actually I wouldn't put a route on my device at all. I'd just study the map before hand and learn the turns. Really isn't too hard. Then I'd just save the ride log for each ride and if I wanted to, I'd join them together with the website tools to join activities together.
Old 07-02-20, 07:58 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I often break up routes into logical segments based on major landmarks, like a major bridge or ferry or large grocery store (I camp when touring). I often name the routes starting with 1, or 2, or 3, etc.

I often deviate from my planned routes when paper maps suggest that there is a better option. Sometimes the electronic routing shows a preference for state roads over local roads, but a local road may be more direct. And when I am standing on the ground and see a really good smooth road going where I want to go, I will take it instead of the pot holed route that my GPS says to take.

If your trip is an out and back, meaning if some of your route is on the same road but traveling in both directions at different times, that is when I have found GPS units to get most confused. I never have a planned route going in both directions on one segment of road, in that case I always break up the routes.
Old 07-02-20, 03:03 PM
northerntier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I often brake routes up into per-day routes, but that is not always practical. W/ RideWithGPS, at least, if I'm on the route, it's happy to accept me however I got there. Not sure about your software.

Where to, in this day and age?

pete (just over the border in MD)
Old 07-02-20, 04:58 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3235 Post(s)
Liked 2,080 Times in 1,178 Posts
So each day is unplanned as to where you will end up ?. I assume you would be able to research at some point during each day what the potential stopping locations are going to be ?. Maybe do different segments that are just whatever navigation you need town to town, outskirts only. Then don't bother having a navigable route to/from the hotel. Just use the GPS map to see where you are and use it to get to the hotel from wherever that segment ended. Next day just do the same to get to the start of the next segment. I don't know the device you are using so don't know what it's capable of.

Begs the question as to what the pre-planned navigation is giving you ?. You could hit a thunderstorm and have to stop very early, too hot and the same, feeling great and want to extend. Thus the pre-planned Kamoot (or anybody's) route is mostly useless to you. I would think decent maps would be easier and just use the GPS to determine location on the map, then look at the map to find a route to a particular ending point.

If it was a spanking new Garmin 830/1030 unit, they've added a number of features to do pretty much what you are asking, interrupt a navigation, detour, and return easiest way to that route you were navigating. Expensive solution though.
Old 07-04-20, 09:34 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
I just finished riding the GAP trail from Pittsburgh to Cumberland. There really isn't much chance of getting lost so I got to experiment a little with the Rox and my Komoot route.

Like I said, on day 1 I stopped when I felt I covered enough ground--Ohiopyle--stopped recording, and the Rox saved that segment.

On day 2 when I started in Ohiopyle, I just selected the same route (starting in Pittsburgh) and the Rox asked me if I wanted to navigate to the start or start from where I was and navigate to the closest point on the route. When I chose the latter, it's like I continued where I left off.

When I got to Cumberland at the end of the day and stopped recording, it saved that segment.

So I guess it's doing pretty much what I wanted it to do which was a nice surprise.

Paul
Old 07-06-20, 06:25 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 1,352 Times in 938 Posts
There isn’t much of a reason to have one multi day route.

If you are in the middle of the trip and you need to reload the route, having to load the first part is pointless. It also may make the route slower to process (that is certainly the case for the Garmins).
Old 07-06-20, 10:11 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
There isn’t much of a reason to have one multi day route.
How do you suggest dealing with multi-day rides when you don't know your stopping points in advance?
Old 07-06-20, 11:06 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by adamrice
How do you suggest dealing with multi-day rides when you don't know your stopping points in advance?
It certainly is easy if you know the stopping points in advance.

One approach would be to extend the route, a bit longer than you expect to ride.

One could start the subsequent days at earlier points.

Or you could break the route into shorter-than-a-day segments.

=====================

The Garmin 800 sometimes had issues calculating "really long" routes. It also pooped-out recording at around 180 miles.

The route calculation was slow enough that, especially if you were near the end, it would not have been good to calculate a route most of which was behind you.

=====================

With the Garmins, you can have it both ways (sort of!). The Garmins let you display a route that isn't being used for active navigation.

So, you could display the entire route but use shorter segments for active navigation.
Old 07-06-20, 06:04 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

It certainly is easy if you know the stopping points in advance.

First post in this thread stated " I also don't know where I'll end each day.". That kind of made the Garmin users go "Hmmm.... how doo you do that ?".

Seems the Sigma unit did what the OP required, maybe as well or better than a Garmin. There are new features on the 1030 Plus that allows better options for re-starting a navigable route mid-way. In theory these features will be coming to the 1030 and 830 late in the year.

Not sure any unit would like a cross country tour configured as one complete course, that might cause a unit to crash and segmented courses would have to be used.
Old 07-06-20, 08:52 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Steve B.
First post in this thread stated " I also don't know where I'll end each day.". That kind of made the Garmin users go "Hmmm.... how doo you do that ?".

Seems the Sigma unit did what the OP required, maybe as well or better than a Garmin. There are new features on the 1030 Plus that allows better options for re-starting a navigable route mid-way. In theory these features will be coming to the 1030 and 830 late in the year.

If you read that first post carefully, the OP said that he has no idea whether the Sigma will work.

Here's the part you missed:

Originally Posted by pennpaul
I can end navigation at the end of each day and save my info, but the next day, will it keep bugging me to go back to the start of the ride or will it figure it out that I'm starting at the 1/3 mark, for example?

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-06-20 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-07-20, 08:39 AM
Steve B.

If you read that first post carefully, the OP said that he has no idea whether the Sigma will work.

Here's the part you missed:
No, I didn’t miss anything as I stated in my last post “Seems the Sigma did what he wanted to do”.

This has now become pointless.
Old 07-07-20, 08:58 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Steve B.
No, I didn’t miss anything as I stated in my last post “Seems the Sigma did what he wanted to do”.

This has now become pointless.
What I did was point out some alternatives to his approach.

Why that upset you is a mystery.