Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 95 Posts
Asymptomatic?

This throws a whole new curve ball in "prevention"....

The litmus test for being let into some businesses, the hospital, etc. SEEMS to be the 'fever' test. They take your temperature as you go in and if you don't have one, you are clear....
My wife has a back injury that we have been back and forth to the hospital and clinics for the past several months about. Every single one of them is doing this. Not ONE, not ONE SINGLE ONE has tested my wife for Coronavirus as an active, or antibody test. We have asked (our) GP in direct relation to thinking we had it back in Nov/Dec and he simply doesn't have the tests to administer....but...

A friend of mine went to a wedding and within days of going every person at the wedding got sick, except his daughter. 30 something people knew, right off. The daughter never showed a sign, had a cough, fever, anything. She has been in quarantine nearly a month, along with her family, and is STILL positive without a single symptom.
One of our sons friends work at a hotel down in Florida where an outbreak just occurred, so everyone in the hotel had to be tested. The 'quick test' up the nose version showed negative, but the send it in portion shows he, indeed, has corona. He shows zero symptoms. His girlfriend and uncle are also "sick" without being sick.

These are just two people that I personally know. They would have no real way of knowing they were positive for this and are almost certainly spreading it around in some form or another. By the "litmus test" in place, each of them are safe.

Just food for thought.
Old 07-07-20, 09:26 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 648 Posts
Presumably the super-spreader at the wedding was either asymptomatic or a sociopath.

At the least, it shows why we should avoid gatherings like weddings, and staying in hotels.
Old 07-07-20, 09:29 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 70 Posts
Friends organizing an event, restricted attendance to those who had been tested within 72 hours. Not foolproof, obviously, but lessens the risk.

Last edited by skookum; 07-07-20 at 09:29 AM. Reason: spolling
Old 07-07-20, 10:21 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 648 Posts
Could also have been one or more of the people catering the wedding. Not wanting to lose a job, they go through with it and dismiss their own, or their wage-slave's, symptoms.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 07-07-20, 11:03 AM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 479 Posts
A question, Juan. Were the spreaders at that wedding and hotel wearing masks? Was everyone else wearing masks? (If they were, it would be interesting to know how good the masks were but that's a tough one as it comes down to 1) the quality of the mask, 2) the fit of the mask and 3) the conscientiousness of the wearer. (Wedding = (almost always) food = masks being pulled down.)
Old 07-07-20, 12:02 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 11492 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 725 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Presumably the super-spreader at the wedding was either asymptomatic or a sociopath.

At the least, it shows why we should avoid gatherings like weddings, and staying in hotels.
Likely someone "just had a cold", and the wedding was too important to put off for a cold. So they just went.

Fortunately, nobody just gets a cold in the summer, so it should weed out some illnesses, but, they could get hay fever.

At this point, I'm not sure I'd want a large wedding, but there would be a good reason to say do a small justice of the peace wedding, then plan to "Renew the Vows" sometime in the future.