Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

Rate the last movie you watched

Notices
Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Rate the last movie you watched

Old 06-25-20, 09:37 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 166 Posts
It (2017). 7.5/10 Entertaining. Not really scary at all. Probably in part because I'd read the book and seen the 1990 miniseries.
Old 06-25-20, 12:17 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: B-Twin Triban100 (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Defy, Verenti Technique, Cougar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts

'The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre' (1948) starring Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston and Tim Holt.

An afternoon treat on TCM today. Set in 1920's Mexico Bogey and Holt play two penniless Americans who are cheated out of their hard-earned pay by a con-man and turn to gold prospecting after meeting an old-timer (Huston) at the doss house who claims to know where gold awaits them. All three venture into the Sierra Madre mountains to work together but the accumulation of gold opens up some rifts and suspicions and makes them potentially easy prey for bandits and desperadoes. 8/10.
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 06-25-20, 04:44 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
Knives Out - 7/10. It was a decent, twisty mystery, but I don't see what all the fuss was.

I actually thought the movie would have benefitted greatly from Daniel Craig not really poorly attempting and executing the Col. Sanders type accent. It was forced and felt utterly distracting the entire movie as a result of it. Just the same, the movie was quite entertaining aside from it.
Old 06-27-20, 08:01 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2069 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
I actually thought the movie would have benefitted greatly from Daniel Craig not really poorly attempting and executing the Col. Sanders type accent. It was forced and felt utterly distracting the entire movie as a result of it. Just the same, the movie was quite entertaining aside from it.
Oh there's nothing wrong with being quite entertaining (and I agree that it was), it was just described to me by my students as this amazing thing. I just saw it as a cross between a ;ess slapsticky Clue and some of the crime thrillers from the 90's with a little M. Night Shyamalan-ish twist, decent, but not groundbreaking. Of course, all of those references predate my students, so that might be why. I'd probably bump it up to an 8/10. Entertaining, and it definitely kept my interest.

Eurovision (the whatever subtitle Will Ferrell came up with). Not quite as laugh a minute as his early 00's stuff, but funny. Rather predictable, but there were some definite good points their. Much better than, say, Blades of Glory or whatever that thing he did with the Napoleon Dynamite kid was called.
Old 06-29-20, 03:02 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 3624 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 766 Posts
The Alchemist Cookbook (2016) -- 6/10
Grungy twist on the familiar themes of Faustian bargains and making something from nothing.
Not bad, really, but felt unfinished, like a demo reel or promo for a fully funded feature film. For fans of indie films only.
Old 06-29-20, 03:19 AM
rotorm

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out of 10 stars, I give it 11 stars! The best movie I have ever seen in my life! No exaggeration!! I will visit Pandora again soon.
Old 06-30-20, 03:05 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 3624 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 766 Posts
Tommyknockers -- 7/10
First time I've watched it since the miniseries was on TV in the 1990s. Not a great movie but it's held up pretty well. The theme of mind control groupthink resonates more now than it did in the 1990s, although Stephen King's novel was in the context of the mid 1980s issues.

It skips some of the weirdness of the book, but is otherwise pretty faithful to the book. King has said he dislikes this the most of all his books, but that seems to be because of the protagonist's struggle with alcoholism serving as a proxy for King's own issues. My only critique would be that the alcoholism wasn't really a factor in the story and was more of a distraction or "flavor" than essential to the plot or resolution. In other King stories the character flaws of both the protagonists and antagonists usually turn out to be crucial factors in story development.

The movie also glossed over the novel's description of how the alien vessel's mind control was limited by distance, and the idiot-savant characteristics developed by the townsfolk vanished as they got farther from the epicenter. To me, that was always the most intriguing bit of the story -- how technology builds upon itself by people who don't always fully understand the work of their predecessors and don't consider the consequences. And how groupthink and mass hysteria seem governed by proximity, and as people leave a cult-like group they begin to wonder how they were ever hooked in the first place.
Old 07-01-20, 09:13 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 137 Posts
bike movie+
Old 07-01-20, 09:28 AM
Mir3886

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Train to Busan 8.5/10

I really thought I was over the Zombie genre but this movie was so entertaining.
Old 07-01-20, 07:46 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked 825 Times in 596 Posts
This past weekend, I watched a Netflix movie called The Siege of Jadotville.

I went in expecting it to be like any "Last Stand" type of military movie. What it really did was tell me a story about some real Fightin' Irish that weren't honored for what they had to do in Africa some 59 years ago.

For fact based war movie watchers, I'll give it an 8 out of 10.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 07-02-20, 12:27 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by rotorm View Post
Out of 10 stars, I give it 11 stars! The best movie I have ever seen in my life! No exaggeration!! I will visit Pandora again soon.
I have to say that I also enjoy that movie quite a bit. It's visually entertaining, got a great story line, imaginative, great bad guys. One of the parts that really resonate with me is the avatar concept, in that I am missing a foot. The part where our main character wiggles his toes...OH that would be heaven!
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 07-06-20, 01:52 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Last night was Time Travel night. Specifically, I traveled back to 1946 and watched Deadline at Dawn.

An above average and entertaining film noir movie, IMO. 7.5 out of 10 stars. Maybe I was just influenced by Susan Hayward.

Some of the dialog made me glad I got my home AC fixed a couple weeks ago.
Old 07-07-20, 05:35 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Watched Knives Out. Sounds like a few people here had already seen it. Interesting casting. Moved a bit slow at the beginning, but overall I liked it. 7.5/10.

Also watched Hail Caesar! I'm not quite sure what kind of movie it was supposed to be. Maybe a low key comedy that was a love letter to the golden age of Hollywood movie making. It wasn't bad, just not all that great. 6.5/10.
Old 07-07-20, 07:36 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by bikecrate View Post
Also watched Hail Caesar! I'm not quite sure what kind of movie it was supposed to be. Maybe a low key comedy that was a love letter to the golden age of Hollywood movie making. It wasn't bad, just not all that great. 6.5/10.
I remember that movie. I kept waiting for me to like it, but I never did. Seemed like a waste of talent.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 07-07-20, 07:42 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by bikecrate View Post
We got a few minutes into that dumpster fire and gave up. We have a method where if the movie sucks that bad we take a draw on the vape a few times and see if it gets better. I don't think I could have obtained enough juice to get the good (that seems not to exist) out of that one. 1/10
Old 07-08-20, 02:19 PM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 166 Posts
We watched Da 5 Bloods last night. 8/10 Entertaining. I liked that Spike Lee kept the 4 main characters their current age during the flashbacks rather than de-aging them or casting younger actors.
Old 07-08-20, 05:39 PM
robertmoses

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Do the Right Thing (1989)

Do the Right Thing (1989) by Spike Lee

7/10

I have long meant to view this film and was surprised by it. A quality film that feels like a stage production with a narrative that is difficult to watch considering it's continued familiarity 30 years later.
Old 07-08-20, 07:19 PM
gios

Bikes: Gios Compact Pro

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 41 Posts
Rewatched John Ford's The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962). Still 9/10.

Likes For gios:
Old 07-09-20, 01:26 PM
heatnikki

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I watched Gemini Man. Could see where it was going a mile off, but generally I like Will Smith. Some of the CGI was outright "huh?" and some of the fight scenes were just ridiculous. It was easy watching, but thats where it ends. Very forgettable overall.
Old 07-09-20, 08:03 PM
robertmoses

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The Fourth Dimension (2001) by Trinh T. Minh-ha.

Hard to accurately review as I was suffering from a migraine during the viewing. 6.5/10. A beautiful film no doubt.
Old 07-10-20, 06:53 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Patriots Day with Marky Mark.

Movie is about the Boston Marathon bombing in '13. Marky Mark is (what I believe to be) a fictional officer that represents the actions of a group of officers at the finish line during the bombing and for the subsequent manhunt afterward. The beginning of the movie is graphic enough to induce PTSD. I would NOT recommend watching this one with your children in the room unless you have seen it first. They didn't pull any punches as to the carnage on scene. Tears rolling down cheeks at 20 mins in.
I found the whole movie to be very educational in so much as to a person who was only casually familiar with what had happened. It seemed like a pretty fair representation of the happenings that day and briefly touched on a lot of subject matter that certainly invoked what you felt then and right afterward. Marky Mark does a great job in most of his work and am once again impressed by his 'hometown Boston' persona. It plays well for him and he is good at it.

Personally found the movie riveting and very emotional. I would rate a 9/10 on a first sitting. I am not sure how well it would stand up to re-watching or actually digging into how accurate it was.
Old 07-10-20, 07:26 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

I went Time Traveling again last night. This time the year was 1932 with the movie's premise starting over a decade prior to that.

The movie is I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang, in which a WWI veteran is imprisoned in the USA and escapes with much more story to follow. There are plenty of outdoor scenes mixed with the indoor scenes, which keeps things more interesting from a Time Traveler's perspective.

What I like about some of these old movies filmed in, or near, the era the story is about is that you really get a feel for the times. The technology, the living conditions, the clothing, the language, and mannerisms of those days. Films made many decades later that are set in old times sometimes come across as merely high budget costume melodramas that could be set in any decade. Whereas when a movie is made in the time it is set in, that movie can be a snapshot of that time.

This movie from 1932 was pre-code and therefore a bit more closer to real life than movies that followed it through the later '30s, '40s, and '50s. Of course, films aren't really close to real life, but you'll have to watch it to see what I mean.

Since I've never seen this movie before, my appreciation for it is perhaps higher than if I had seen it years before.
I'll give it 8.5 out of 10 stars.

Last edited by FiftySix; 07-10-20 at 09:11 AM. Reason: schtuff
Old 07-10-20, 04:23 PM
heatnikki

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Queen & Slim - 10/10
I can't believe this got passed over at awards season. Second viewing, absolutely loved it.
Old 07-13-20, 02:28 AM
ammocave

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Informant.

It was ok, and a Matt Damon fan, but it wasn't a favorite for me.
Rate it a 5
Old 07-13-20, 02:36 AM
heatnikki

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Gladiator in 4K, still holds up really well for a 20 year old film. 9/10.
Likes For heatnikki:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.