Reload this Page >

How are those common colds doing?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Old 07-06-20, 07:41 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 476 Posts

I've been occasionally wondering with the world wide efforts to slow the spread of this novel corona how the common ones are doing? Will they all survive this increase in hygiene and distance? I would assume so, but it can't be easy on them. Looks like they are hanging on:
https://www.cdc.gov/surveillance/nre...tl-trends.html
Old 07-06-20, 08:34 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,244 Times in 655 Posts
It looks like they are back down to noise level by April 2020.
Old 07-06-20, 10:00 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 720 Posts
Looks like the oak pollen graph I know when the sniffles are coming. Oak pollen and the common cold ain’t putting people into the grave. The local funeral home was saying how great business has been. yup them there old people was gonna die anyways. Probably from boredom rather than some virus Yup a shot of 101 whiskey will get rid of that cold but that COVID-19 i don’t know.
Old 07-06-20, 10:33 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Most common colds are caused by rhinovirus.

Right-wing bloggers who think carbon dioxide is c0^2 and that the earth is 6000 years old haven't picked up on this.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 07-07-20, 12:09 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Looks like the oak pollen graph I know when the sniffles are coming. Oak pollen and the common cold ainít putting people into the grave. The local funeral home was saying how great business has been. yup them there old people was gonna die anyways. Probably from boredom rather than some virus Yup a shot of 101 whiskey will get rid of that cold but that COVID-19 i donít know.
I never realized how many allergens I was sensitive to until this whole pandemic started. I made me much more sensitive to the "symptom" sensations...sore throat, elevated temp, etc. Everytime I'd feel something was "off", my first thought was "I've got the COVID!" Then I'd check allergy reports and see that molds were high...or grasses...or oak...thankfully cedar season had passed!

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 07-07-20, 12:19 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong View Post
I never realized how many allergens I was sensitive to until this whole pandemic started. I made me much more sensitive to the "symptom" sensations...sore throat, elevated temp, etc. Everytime I'd feel something was "off", my first thought was "I've got the COVID!" Then I'd check allergy reports and see that molds were high...or grasses...or oak...thankfully cedar season had passed!
Yup. Runny nose, stuffed up sinuses. I feel like I need a covid test every day.
Old 07-07-20, 12:27 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 493 Posts
What we really need is for those competing coronaviruses to go out into the parking lot and have it out. Starting with fists and going to knives, then guns. The common cold has a lot to lose here. Whole strains could die.
Old 07-07-20, 06:22 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 442 Posts
I assume, like regular flu, common colds would be decreased by social distancing. See here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/coronavir...gular-flu.html
Old 07-07-20, 07:05 PM
DeadGrandpa
Philosopher of Bicycling

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
Yup. Runny nose, stuffed up sinuses. I feel like I need a covid test every day.
What's the point in that? You might find out the results in ten days, but what about the ten days since the test? Take all practical precautions and go ride your bike. That's what I do. Call me when they have the third or fifth generation of vaccine. But I probably won't answer my phone.
Old 07-08-20, 09:31 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 198 Posts
The thought occured to me last week (got the sniffles and wondered ... who could I have possibly caught a cold from), so I asked my friends. NONE of them had come down with a cold since early March.

Old 07-08-20, 09:50 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8684 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 703 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Most common colds are caused by rhinovirus.

Right-wing bloggers who think carbon dioxide is c0^2 and that the earth is 6000 years old haven't picked up on this.
I am trying to decipher your c0^2... is that "c" zero exponent 2? vice CO2?

Not a criticism, just trying to understand the text shorthand I see.

and is c the speed of light? Which of course makes the formula even more crazy=> (the speed of light) times zero to the exponent of 2.

Oh and we don't even need to discuss the crazy of the 6000 year old earth... or dinosaurs and Fred Flintstone.
Old 07-08-20, 10:16 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

The superscript/subscript BB markup is disabled.

The correct version, as you I am sure know, is CO[sub]2[/sub] . The element's first (or only) letter is always capitalized. If there are two oxygens present, it gets a subscript 2. I would have hoped no one would have escaped high school without knowing this.

I've been kind of amused by climate-change deniers who can't seem to figure this out. They often write carbon's abbreviation with a lower-case c, and/or oxygen as a zero 0 rather than a capital O. Then to top it off, they think the 2 is a superscript. There seems to be a very strong correlation between people who can't write CO[sub]2[/sub] correctly, and people who deny the reality of climate change. Since I teach chemistry for a living, I guess I focus too much on this sort of thing.

I've noticed similar sorts of trends with creationism and SARS-CoV-2 denial that sort of hint at a deeper science ignorance/illiteracy. That probably isn't particularly surprising, but it is mildly entertaining since it seems to be a good predictor.

Last edited by wgscott; 07-08-20 at 10:20 AM.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 07-08-20, 10:40 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
I've been kind of amused by climate-change deniers who can't seem to figure this out. They often write carbon's abbreviation with a lower-case c, and/or oxygen as a zero 0 rather than a capital O. Then to top it off, they think the 2 is a superscript. There seems to be a very strong correlation between people who can't write CO[sub]2[/sub] correctly, and people who deny the reality of climate change. Since I teach chemistry for a living, I guess I focus too much on this sort of thing.
Yeah, sounds like a personal problem. I would not notice super-vs-sub-script in CO2, and if challenged to guess which is right, I'm not sure I'd have gotten it. Then again I really didn't like Chem 101 in college. Physics and Math are much more my speed.

As a teacher of math, my personal cross to bear is students who say 'matrice' or 'vertice', incorrectly depluralizing matrices and vertices.