Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 1,104 Times in 713 Posts
S Texas taking a hard hit

Watching the news it looks bad. Went on beer run it was like a ghost town. Everyone was wearing masks doing the right things except meth guy who they through out. Every town has those. I saw it FRIKIN coming congratulations Bubba and Bubbette for you’re wisdom. I wish I could vent on here but it’s a civil forum and that’s good. I got SiriusXM to play some tunes have some brews and see how to handle this in a good way. No ride tonight today my legs are fried but tomorrow I will we back night riding to beat the heat.

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 07-06-20 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Auto correct hammers my grammar lol
Old 07-06-20, 07:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 11502 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 726 Posts
It will be a rough few weeks, but if there is an effort to lock down Houston, Dallas, and other areas for a few weeks, then you'll get past it. There may be some momentum in the system to overcome.

Figure out how to stock up the pantries, then shut everything including grocery stores down for a couple of weeks?
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-06-20, 10:22 PM
canopus 

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR300, 1985 Cannondale ST400, 1984 Trek 760, 1984 Trek 610, 1984 Trek 720, 1981 Trek 710, 1979 Trek 710, Gary Littlejohn Cruiser, BMX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 32 Posts
Don't watch the news. They are full of **** anyways. Its ok to protest but not ok to shop... Masks will protect you... Social distancing will protect you... 6ft will protect you... China only had 84K infected... States opened to early... Blah... blah... blah....

I would gladly give you two cents for a reliable news program but Walter Kronkite retired. Nothing now a days is worth the electricity to keep it in the cloud.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Likes For canopus:
Old 07-06-20, 10:41 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Kingwood is an upper middle class municipality. It is easy to have the basics and not to worry. I’m also well off so to speak probably by default but that is another story. I’m helping everybody and you should do the same thing instead of whining about dead Walter Kronkite. I’m using what I can to help and it is frustrating at times but you should do the same. Be calm, help out you’re brothers and sisters because one day you will need them.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-07-20, 05:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11386 Post(s)
Liked 3,025 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Everyone was wearing masks doing the right things except meth guy who they through out. Every town has those.
We have a lot of unmasked convenience store door openers. Like I am more likely to give you change because I had to walk passed your unmasked face to get inside? Don't think so.
Old 07-07-20, 10:38 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
SOUTH TEXAS. the Encino check point is a cluster muck. falfurrias is OK for now because masks in public ($1K fine) have been mandated & enforced for a good while. going to corpus for supplies was bad because the unmasked were everywhere until yesterday. KINGWOOD is in a different country than Fal
Old 07-07-20, 01:42 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 590 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
SOUTH TEXAS. the Encino check point is a cluster muck. falfurrias is OK for now because masks in public ($1K fine) have been mandated & enforced for a good while. going to corpus for supplies was bad because the unmasked were everywhere until yesterday. KINGWOOD is in a different country than Fal
Of course. Kingwood, which is part of Houston, is virtually an extension of Louisiana. I know Texans in other parts of the state that don't consider the Houston area as part of Texas. Maybe because we get regular rainfall and we have gators and crawdads naturally. Or because we had the Houston Oilers back in the day, which was as anti-Dallas Cowboys as it ever got here, I reckon.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 07-07-20, 04:31 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Trek 770, Trek 760, Schwinn Peloton, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 224 Posts
Well Hondo,
News tonight is TX had 10,000 cases in just one day. I will have to fact check NBC, but that is not good news. Here in IN we have stepped back from a re-opening, for two more weeks after a small surge over the last week. I'm in the 14th week of house arrest without the bracelet, and it has become a new normal for me to not go out or be away from the house. I have been able to do a lot of work on my personal bikes, with the help of (the new normal) mail order shops, and delivery services. I feel for those who are about to go through some version of Hades because of the virus. Stay well and safe Smiles, MH
Old 07-07-20, 04:35 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Yup maybe Texas will get out of 3rd place we slacked off and let California take 2nd position but after today we should be #2 again. I think Florida has this thing won but we are still going to try.
Old 07-07-20, 06:27 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 432 Posts
Yup maybe Texas will get out of 3rd place we slacked off and let California take 2nd position but after today we should be #2 again. I think Florida has this thing won but we are still going to try.
Hey now them's fightin words!

State vs State numbers should always be per capita, CA has the most people, so our case/death totals count for less.

TX doesn't even have the most land (#1 thing AK could do to piss off TX is cut itself in half and make TX the third biggest state!)
Old 07-07-20, 07:08 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Too technical those numbers are fake news Texas will be #2 by the end of the day. But Florida is sneaky they come up with great new strategies to stay #1 ...
Old 07-07-20, 08:01 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
Of course. Kingwood, which is part of Houston, is virtually an extension of Louisiana. I know Texans in other parts of the state that don't consider the Houston area as part of Texas. Maybe because we get regular rainfall and we have gators and crawdads naturally. Or because we had the Houston Oilers back in the day, which was as anti-Dallas Cowboys as it ever got here, I reckon.
that's a good take . the east texas indians were nothing like the Comanches
out hondo's way. the houston area is just the westenr louisiana swamps. east texas is louisiana minus all the good cajun stuff & gambling. Kingwood does have some good floods. beaumont was voted one of the worst cities in the US. orange & port arthur died about 25 years ago. To the point, the I 10 corridor from houston to the La border is rife with COVID as the petro chem plants forge on and the state & federal penal complexes try to cope. the governor was in beaumont last night & blamed the surge on local officials not enforcing local laws
Old 07-07-20, 08:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 11502 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 726 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk View Post
Well Hondo,
News tonight is TX had 10,000 cases in just one day. I will have to fact check NBC, but that is not good news. Here in IN we have stepped back from a re-opening, for two more weeks after a small surge over the last week. I'm in the 14th week of house arrest without the bracelet, and it has become a new normal for me to not go out or be away from the house. I have been able to do a lot of work on my personal bikes, with the help of (the new normal) mail order shops, and delivery services. I feel for those who are about to go through some version of Hades because of the virus. Stay well and safe Smiles, MH

I'm seeing several online sources with the 10K figure.

Not too suprising.
July 1: 9,300
July 2-4, avg just over 7K
July 5, 3,500 (often see low values around Sunday/Monday), but this is a bit below expected.
July 6, 8,200
July 7, 10K, probably slightly early for 4th of July, but it is coming. May be slightly high because July 5 was somewhat low.

Nonetheless, the growth curve would indicate around 9K, so 10K isn't too unexpected. The holiday bump may still be a few days away.

As far as the bike, are there any places you can ride without a lot of people in the late nights or early mornings? Get lights for the bike? Build a generator wheel set in your spare time?
Old 07-07-20, 10:34 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Every time I went to Houston to see the Oilers play they lost! They always found a way to lose. The Oilers favorite lake in Texas to fish was Choke Canyon.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-07-20, 10:46 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by Mad Honk View Post
Well Hondo,
We have a mask mandate and restaurants are take out only. Most places are open. Well at least for now. Iím not sure what the next steps will be because there is no structure or definitive strategy. I feel the governor knows what needs to be done but hesitates because of political pressure. Iím willing to shelter in place or whatever it takes to get this stuff under control. I stocked up on groceries earlier today so I will be good for awhile.
Old 07-08-20, 09:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11386 Post(s)
Liked 3,025 Times in 1,683 Posts
I stocked up on groceries earlier today so I will be good for awhile.
What about beer? And as for a mandatory mask order, we have one in PA. I was out this morning. So many people ignoring it in Philadelphia, or their masks are not covering their noses. Makes me want to smack them and ask them where they stick the swab during testing. Woman in front of me in the alcohol checkout line pulled down her mask, wiped her nose with her fingers then immediately put those fingers on the counter.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-08-20, 10:03 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Beer runs are fast run in Walmart grab the beer go to the self checkout and run mask and all. Then take a disinfectant bath back at the car. Always a risk but trying to minimize it as possible.
Old 07-08-20, 12:28 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 86 Posts
Too technical those numbers are fake news Texas will be #2 by the end of the day. But Florida is sneaky they come up with great new strategies to stay #1 ...
You'll never win against FL. Bwahahahahahaha! Look out AZ.
Old 07-08-20, 12:41 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

I forgot about Arizona being a contender. There in the running and coming on strong we better get it together or Arizona will come out of nowhere and take victory.

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 07-08-20 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Autocorrect causes bad grammar
Old 07-08-20, 01:45 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 4226 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 470 Posts
OK your on. But what is the metric?
Old 07-08-20, 01:52 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 4226 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 470 Posts

Arizona is now No. 1 in the world for coronavirus

According to an analysis by the Times, Arizona has reported 3,300 confirmed cases per million residents over the last week. Right behind us are Florida (2,700 per million) South Carolina (2,300) and Bahrain (2,200).
Old 07-08-20, 02:07 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Ha Ha Florida you have been dethroned now Arizona is #1 . Thought you had the victory now look what you get for slacking. Texas needs to get it to together we can be #1 with some effort. All Bubbas and Bubbettes spread you’re wisdom to all Texans we can take the number one spot.
Old 07-08-20, 02:11 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

DOWN TO 8TH PLACE! We are tied Ahsposo! No way we are losing to the state Ahsposo is from!

Old 07-08-20, 02:27 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 432 Posts
Here's an interesting graph from the LA Times

One feature that is missing from this graph is scaling by state population, but that's not really the point of what it's trying to show.

The slope of the recent curve is the 'Current doubling time' (see index lines for comparative slopes). Curves that have leveled off are more green, curves that are shooting up are more blue.

Horizontal axis of 'days since 100th case' removes the effect of different states getting their waves starting at different dates.
Old 07-08-20, 02:30 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 230 Posts
I've been getting my news from the NY Times and occasionally from the Providence Journal. Unlike adjoining neighbors, Sweden opted for no lock down or face masks. The neighbors have gotten infection rates way down but Sweden's has been climbing to the point that the Baltic countries are denying entry to Swedes.. In other news, Mexico is restricting entry to some Americans. Next thing you know they will be building a wall.

Locally in Rhode Island, lock down is gradually easing but many still wear face masks. I ride my bike and take a book to the town beach to enjoy the beautiful weather we've been having. While there I also enjoy the sweet young thangs in bikinis that have less fabric than my face mask.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.