Old 07-07-20, 05:16 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,244 Times in 655 Posts
Did you get SARS-CoV-2 before Feb 2020?

The first confirmed case of SARS-CoV-2 infection in the United States was in February, 2020.

Anecdotally, a lot of folks suggest they may have had it earlier. This was in another thread I don't want to post to because the OP asked those who have not had the disease not to post to it:

Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
We are 98% certain that we had it, as a household, in Nov/Dec...
My next-door neighbor (in rural Santa Cruz) suggests the same. It seems to be a fairly common assertion.

Anyone else here think they might have gotten it earlier than Feb? If so, any idea how?
Old 07-07-20, 07:49 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
The first confirmed case of SARS-CoV-2 infection in the United States was in February, 2020.

Anecdotally, a lot of folks suggest they may have had it earlier. This was in another thread I don't want to post to because the OP asked those who have not had the disease not to post to it:

My next-door neighbor (in rural Santa Cruz) suggests the same. It seems to be a fairly common assertion.

Anyone else here think they might have gotten it earlier than Feb? If so, any idea how?
Makes perfect sense considering they weren't officially testing for it before then, so far as I am aware. I can't even recall when the official first tests started? Jan?
We have a local flight school that was working a contract for licensing Chinese students as pilots. They started new classes right around Oct. here in Peachtree City, right as the pandemic started. Almost immediately the hotel associated with the school was shut, the students were put in quarantine, and the flight school and associated field were closed. There are quite a few articles about the happening but not much detail on the why other than loads of local speculation. Our son worked right up the road at a new restaurant that was absolutely flooded with people for about a month as the new new in town.
The school was called Falcon Aviation if you would like to look it up. It's been a minute so I am unsure as to where they fell on the "official" story.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 07-07-20, 08:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 11534 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 732 Posts
Before claiming they had the virus last fall, they need to go in and get the antibody test.

If 3 or 4 people were sick in December, and never got sick again, and have postive antibodies, that could help pin down the infections. Especially if it was documented such as doctor visits or time off work.

Any chance RNA could be recovered? Lab tests while they were sick? Not completely washed thermometer? Longterm residual cough?
Old 07-07-20, 08:26 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 294 Posts
Yes, plenty of folks suspect they had it. Suspecting one had SARS-CoV-2 does not equal positive test, so it means little.
Old 07-07-20, 08:42 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 104 Posts
Given the symptoms can be identical to Flu or nothing it's not surprising many people think they may have had it.
Old 07-07-20, 08:53 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

The loss of smell and taste symptom, experienced by a major subset, is more revealing.

I think in the case of the woman in San Jose, they went back and checked blood and tissue samples.

Dowd, 57, had no heart issues and strong lungs. She ate well, exercised and recently had seen her doctor. So when the San Jose woman died Feb. 6 of an apparent heart attack, her husband asked for an autopsy to determine what killed her.

The flu-like symptoms Dowd experienced in her final days, it turned out, were COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. Dowd now is the first known person in the United States to die from the virus.
Old 07-07-20, 09:34 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
Yes, plenty of folks suspect they had it. Suspecting one had SARS-CoV-2 does not equal positive test, so it means little.
Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
Given the symptoms can be identical to Flu or nothing it's not surprising many people think they may have had it.
I agree with both of you to the degree that IF I could have had, or my wife, a test before now we WOULD know. The symptom list for covid is pretty much everything, and all the way down to asymptomatic. You could have allergies and check all the right boxes. Remains to be seen.
Old 07-07-20, 09:49 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 12062 Post(s)
Liked 3,428 Times in 1,911 Posts
The loss of smell and taste symptom, experienced by a major subset, is more revealing.
That and covid toes.
Old 07-07-20, 10:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 12062 Post(s)
Liked 3,428 Times in 1,911 Posts

It had to be circulating in the community before the first confirmed case was discovered. It's an insidious disease, a long incubation period, a lot of asymptomatic carriers, and symptoms that look familiar enough not to raise eyebrows. Combine that with international flights every day. I wouldn't be surprised if it was here a month before we knew it.

I might be wrong because of the way it seemed to radiate out from Seattle. Or that might just be where we were testing for it in those days.
Old 07-07-20, 10:14 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Some of the models suggest it was introduced many times, but took awhile for some of the sparks to ignite.

I have no idea what to think about this.

I do worry there are a substantial number of people who say "oh, I already had it, so no need for me to worry." I think the hopsitalizations and death toll are the only really clear metrics.
Old 07-07-20, 10:26 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 70 Posts
I thought the nextstrain genomic epidemiology data put a fairly definite limit on when the first case in the US could have arrived?

Its pretty fashionable to claim you were sick late last fall or early in the new year and it MUST have been covid. Half my friends make that statement.

I was pretty sick with a cough, runny nose, aches and pains, last December after returning from southeast asia. It was just a nasty cold.
Likes For skookum:
Old 07-07-20, 10:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 11534 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 732 Posts
I do worry there are a substantial number of people who say "oh, I already had it, so no need for me to worry." I think the hopsitalizations and death toll are the only really clear metrics.
I have a housemate that got sick in March, right as COVID was sweeping into the region. I didn't get hit hard, but felt a little "off". Anyway, because I have also had a longterm cough, and will need to be around Mom shortly, I decided to get checked out a couple of weeks ago. Nope, no COVID, & No Antibodies... I still need to take care with my interactions.

Anyway, for public health, one could do the antibody test, and it would let people if they can let their guard down.

Most estimates indicate that the the documented cases were 1/5 to 1/10 the actual cases in March/April/May. So there are a lot of people who had it, and either don't know, or aren't sure.

And, likely a lot of people who had a cold or flu, and thought they had COVID.
Old 07-07-20, 11:13 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

No, no and nope.
Old 07-08-20, 04:52 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 135 Posts
2/1
I flew from JFK to Florida on 1/28 and got sick. Came back and got a flu test which was negative.

There's issues with the antibody tests though. One they don't seem to know how long the antibodies stay in the body, or who produces them. I had the Covid toe amongst my symptoms, and people seem to not test positive for antibodies who have the covid toe. Also when I had the antibody test no one can say for certain if it was any good or if I still would have antibodies, since it was more than 100 days from when I was sick. One of the speculations also is that folks who don't get very sick may not produce antibodies, or they may not stick around for long.
Old 07-08-20, 05:28 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 107 Posts
I had posted to the covid thread in P&R on March 1st about getting over a sickness, and I wondered then if I had it. We have a kiddo going to daycare so we get a lot of illness, early in the year it seems like we'll get something nasty. But, the illness usually only lasts for a few days, maybe a week. Often it seems like we'll get sick every other week. The usual malaise and stomach issue.

However from January thru February this year we had some weird lingering malaise. I was anxious and felt like I was in a fog. There were no obvious symptoms, I thought maybe I had some serious seasonal affective disorder I had been regularly jogging but then dropped off. My wife had more symptoms, like aches. During that two months our symptoms peaked one week in mid February, out of the blue I got really dizzy one morning and had bad cramps. We both stayed home for a couple days. My wife had some loss of smell and taste she would later recall, though I never noticed. We haven't been sick since!

I started regularly biking again in April, and it took a month to get my lung functions back, I had shortness of breath and my chest was super tight and cardio would make it burn!

We have Asian apartment neighbors, we have a major University here catering to people all over the US and world. We sit on a major interstate that travels from Texas to the Canadian border. Yet my wife works in a retirement community and there wasn't anything noticable going on there
Old 07-08-20, 07:56 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
My jogging buddy was in New Orleans over New Years and then had a business trip to Boston the next week. He was very sick that week with many of the COVID symptoms and, although he worked, any free time was spent in his hotel room feeling really miserable. We were unable to jog most of February because he couldn't take full breaths. I kept chiding him that he must of had the COVID. Last week he had a physical and asked for an anti-body test. It came back negative.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 07-08-20, 09:25 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 198 Posts
A friend of mine had all the symptoms back in Feb. He recently tested postive for antibodies.