Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

6 speed to 7 speed conversion

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 06:34 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts

Hopefully I'm explaining this correctly, but recently I upgraded my 80's Peugeot with new 700c wheels and a 7 speed cassette. The bike originally has 27' wheels with a 6 speed flywheel. All works great with the new set up but the rear derailleur will only go up to the 6th gear. Is there any way I can adjust the derailleur so it will jump up to the 7th cog? or would I need to replace the gear system entirely to do that?

Old 07-08-20, 07:02 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Assuming it’s friction shift and also assuming the rear shift lever still has room to move further and pull more cable, it could be as simple as loosening the low position “L” limit screw on the rear derailleur.. if you turn that screw out, say a 1/4 turn at a time and check to see if the shifter can pull the derailleur a bit further, then there is a good chance you will be able to get it to go the extra couple of millimeters to cover the slightly wider cassette.

If the shift lever lever runs out of travel by hitting a hard stop, that may be an issue. If that happens, take it back down to the first rear cog and remove any slack in the cable, so you are using all of the lever’s travel to actually move the derailleur. Then take it back up and try to get to the 7th cog.

Hope me that helps.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 07-08-20, 07:37 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
^
What Otto said. Adjust the limit screws.

Keep in mind that though it's unlikely, the Shimano Light Action rear derailer may be fighting the final shift given that it has a spring in the pinch bolt assembly to facilitate extra-smooth shifting.

-Kurt

Old 07-08-20, 08:58 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Originally Posted by ofajen
it could be as simple as loosening the low position “L” limit screw on the rear derailleur.. if you turn that screw out, say a 1/4 turn at a time and check to see if the shifter can pull the derailleur a bit further, then there is a good chance you will be able to get it to go the extra couple of millimeters to cover the slightly wider cassette.
Otto
Would you be able to point out which screw on the derailleur this would be? sorry a bit of a newbie to bike repairs.
Old 07-08-20, 09:04 AM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts

see if this helps....
Likes For uncle uncle:
Old 07-08-20, 09:47 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Hopefully I'm explaining this correctly, but recently I upgraded my 80's Peugeot with new 700c wheels and a 7 speed cassette. The bike originally has 27' wheels with a 6 speed flywheel. All works great with the new set up but the rear derailleur will only go up to the 6th gear. Is there any way I can adjust the derailleur so it will jump up to the 7th cog? or would I need to replace the gear system entirely to do that?

Based on your picture , it appears as if your chain is not long enough. Even though the “big big” combo is not recommended (cross chaining), you should still be able to safely shift into it.
Likes For masi61:
Old 07-08-20, 10:00 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Of the two rear-facing limit screws going directly into the top knuckle of the derailer, the lower-most screw controls the travel limiter up to the largest-cog position.

The screw just above that controls the travel limit going to the smallest cog.

The third screw, up at the mounting bolt pivot, controls the mounting bolt pivot spring and so can adjust for clearance between the teeth on the pulley and the teeth on the largest cog (lways set this "B"-pivot screw with the chain on the smaller front chainring).
Old 07-08-20, 10:37 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
A couple of helpful images -- not mine, found through Google:

On this one, the "limit adjusting screws":

One this one, this is the rear view of the derailleur, and it would be the "L-screw," as dddd describes above.

Likes For noobinsf:
Old 07-08-20, 10:54 AM
gthomson

Great video and image above, I am learning something and this is all good! I have another bike that's not going up to the big cog as well so can fix both. This will also help me understand why a road bike I have on a trainer is skipping gears when I'm Zwifting.

thanks all!
Old 07-08-20, 01:03 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Yup, if that was your bike on the pics, it does look like you are maxed out with your chain legnth. Which will make it hard for the derailleur to move the chain over to your biggest cog, if it's even possible. Get a proper legnth chain first then fine tune with the limit screws. And be careful you do not get too close to the spokes with the derailleur on the lowest speed cog.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 07-08-20, 02:35 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I was looking at that. I also notice the rear axle is bolted all the way at the back of the dropout. Typically the rear axle is bolted further forward, closer to being in line with the seat stays.

Also, rear derailleurs usually have some recommended spec for how many millimeters forward of the rear derailleur pivot the rear axle should be located, though that varies.

moving the axle forward would also give some slack and possibly allow the derailleur to work on the largest cog. OTOH, this seems like the perfect time to replace the chain.

Otto
Old 07-08-20, 06:59 PM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 536 Times in 284 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I was looking at that. I also notice the rear axle is bolted all the way at the back of the dropout. Typically the rear axle is bolted further forward, closer to being in line with the seat stays.
Also, rear derailleurs usually have some recommended spec for how many millimeters forward of the rear derailleur pivot the rear axle should be located, though that varies.
moving the axle forward would also give some slack and possibly allow the derailleur to work on the largest cog. OTOH, this seems like the perfect time to replace the chain.
Otto
I must admit that I've always been dubious of those claims vis-a-vis axle position. What with all the available motion in the rear der I seriously doubt that the bike would feel the difference. AFAIC what I saw was that bikes, even really good ones, often did not have the rear of the dropouts in the same place and a bit of adjustment was necessary to get the wheel square to the BB and parallel to the front. If all the precise measurements are so important in rear der/axle placement how is it that vertical dropouts can use about any der out there?
Back in the day all the kids pushed the axle to the limit forward cos it was "racy!" - - what BS. Seems to me that Old Wives write about as much BS for bikes as they do for guitar amplifiers and shotguns

be safe
Charlie
Old 07-08-20, 10:27 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
I usually put the axle forward, not so much for being "racy" but to avoid shifting problems caused by the axle being so far back.

The chain gap gets pretty large on many vintage bikes when using the smaller cogs, and moving the axle forward seems to help a great deal vs. being all the way back.

Having the axle rearward does put more weight on the front wheel, increasing steering stability, though at some cost to responsive steering.

All of this depends to some degree on the particular bike, and on how the particular rider is fitted to same bike.