Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 07-09-20, 08:39 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Veg garden is going ham -

Old 07-09-20, 08:40 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
We also get many Red Hats that think it's a liberal hoax.

I really enjoy refusing to help the Red Hats, especially when they get irate and start swearing at me..
I know they exist, but it seems so strange to think of that sort as cyclists.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-09-20, 08:45 AM
WhyFi

Grrrrr. LPLO even though I already posted?!
Old 07-09-20, 08:49 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
The median age of Sun City AZ is 75, so we get a ton of them in the shop,
Old 07-09-20, 08:52 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Just walked into a dicks in buffalo, the hand sanitizer they made me use smelled like straight whiskey. I don’t drink anymore, the smell made me gag. The lady just stared at me.
“That off-putting smell—sometimes described as rotten garbage or tequila-like—is the natural byproduct of ethanol being made from corn, sugar cane, beets, and other organic sources,” explained Zlotnik. “[Ethyl alcohol] production is highly regulated. It stinks because these new brands—many made by distillers who’ve pivoted from producing drinking alcohol to meet public demand for hand sanitizer—are making and using denatured ethanol. This ethanol costs significantly less than ethanol filtered using activated carbon filtration, which would typically remove almost all contaminants and the malodor with it.”

Those organic contaminants aren’t the only reason unfiltered and denatured ethanol smells downright foul. According to Zlotnik, denatured ethanol is also intentionally tainted with an unpalatable cocktail of chemicals (denaturants) such as methanol, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, and denatonium to make it undrinkable. In other words: The base material is intentionally stinky.------Wirecutter

Old 07-09-20, 08:53 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts
My bike club has unveiled a new "policy" for restarting group rides:

1. Only members allowed. No guests.
2. Max 10 riders.
3. Every rider must sign a usual ride waiver and a covid-waiver (that says they don't have any symptoms, will contact ride leader if symptoms develop, yadda yadda)
4. Must sign up on signup genius so we have a paper trail for contact tracing
5. Must maintain 20+ foot distance from other riders

I think all of those are reasonable, but the 20 foot distance is going to kinda ruin the group ride dynamic and benefit, so although I respect club leadership in coming up with a policy, I am going to do non-club private rides with 1-3 other friends as I have been doing, for now. They say the 20 foot distance came from USA Cycling.

I told them that determining "safe following distance" is a fool's errand, and there is no good answer.
Old 07-09-20, 08:55 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,634 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
The median age of Sun City AZ is 75, so we get a ton of them in the shop,
"We stopped the world for you and your at-risk group, so the least you can do is respect those actions, and put a mask on. Now get the **** away from me before I punch you in the throat."

I figure a kind and gentle approach works the best.
Old 07-09-20, 08:57 AM
noodle soup

Back to work tomorrow(from self-quarantine), and I have 1 bike that needs a tuneup, no new bikes to build, and only 6 bikes to sell(2 year old E-bikes).

It's gonna be a long 6 hour day.
Old 07-09-20, 09:00 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by LAJ
"We stopped the world for you and your at-risk group, so the least you can do is respect those actions, and put a mask on. Now get the **** away from me before I punch you in the throat."

I need to memorize that phrase.
Old 07-09-20, 09:06 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked 3,558 Times in 1,227 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Veg garden is going ham -

​​​​​
Nice!

We currently have a cherry tomato plant attempting to take over the balcony.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 07-09-20, 09:08 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by datlas

2. Max 10 riders.
3. Every rider must sign a usual ride waiver and a covid-waiver (that says they don't have any symptoms, will contact ride leader if symptoms develop, yadda yadda)

I think all of those are reasonable, but the 20 foot distance is going to kinda ruin the group ride dynamic and benefit, so although I respect club leadership in coming up with a policy, I am going to do non-club private rides with 1-3 other friends as I have been doing, for now. They say the 20 foot distance came from USA Cycling.

I told them that determining "safe following distance" is a fool's errand, and there is no good answer.
What's the draft like at 20'?

Seriously, though, the thing that stands out to me in this is that maintaining a 20' gap is going to make passing really difficult for drivers. Like, obnoxiously and dangerously so.
Old 07-09-20, 09:09 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts
OMG my club president is devout. I know we're not supposed to get political here but that dude is extreme, as in nothing could change his mind, ever.
Old 07-09-20, 09:09 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by LAJ

I figure a kind and gentle approach works the best.
I do have to admit, I’d find it a lot harder to do the right thing if I had lost my job to save people who mostly vilified me anyway.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-09-20, 09:11 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

I will probably venture back to COTA when it starts up again in September, so I can get some time on the P2 again before winter. I will be closer than 20’ to people, but briefly. Hopefully I manage to not catch it.
Old 07-09-20, 09:11 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by abshipp
Nice!

We currently have a cherry tomato plant attempting to take over the balcony.
When we went to the arboretum the other day, we saw some grapes growing up a trellis. It made us briefly consider uprooting our pergola wisteria to plant grapes, instead. I think that they were wine grapes, though - I don't know if we could grow any eatin' varieties here. I'd certainly be interested, if we could.
Old 07-09-20, 09:12 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts
My club just posted a full schedule for this coming weekend with 4 rides to choose from on Saturday. No rules except to carry a mask , as far as I can see.
Old 07-09-20, 09:23 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
I will probably venture back to COTA when it starts up again in September, so I can get some time on the P2 again before winter. I will be closer than 20’ to people, but briefly. Hopefully I manage to not catch it.
They let you ride on COTA? That's pretty cool.
Old 07-09-20, 09:29 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts

Seriously, though, the thing that stands out to me in this is that maintaining a 20' gap is going to make passing really difficult for drivers. Like, obnoxiously and dangerously so.
Yeah. Agree. It's like a group solo ride at that point and may be more dangerous with drivers. Apparently USA Cycling has made that recommendation and that's why the club picked it.

Some of my friends went on a small group ride and agreed to try to keep 20 feet apart. They found it more difficult than staying on someone's wheel.
Old 07-09-20, 09:34 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Proud moment this week.

Back in December my CEO, our Chief Innovation Officer, one of my staff and I went to Baltimore to meet with some folks at the Medicare Innovation Center regarding how they are payment bundles for lower joint replacement. Without getting into the sausage making, my team had put together an analysis that demonstrated how a payment policy change at the start of 2019 made the initial assumptions and methodology understate the actual cost of the bundles. During the meeting, they pretty much pushed us off, but stated they would look into it and send our analysis to their analytics vendor. Their own internal analytics people later said what we were demonstrating didn't have any impact nationally, but our analysis was still with the vendor.

This week their analytics vendor came out with an analysis that essentially mirrored ours and drew the same conclusions. They admitted that the methodology was incomplete and they will likely be taking action to make changes. They may be retroactive and if so, it will net us a lot of additional revenue (10M+). If it goes through - they should buy me a boat. I celebrated last night with palomas and paid the price on my ride this AM. Totally worth it.
Old 07-09-20, 09:36 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Yeah. Agree. It's like a group solo ride at that point and may be more dangerous with drivers. Apparently USA Cycling has made that recommendation and that's why the club picked it.

Some of my friends went on a small group ride and agreed to try to keep 20 feet apart. They found it more difficult than staying on someone's wheel.
Yeah at that point I’d rather just agree that everyone is riding in the same vicinity and so you have some closer support in an emergency.
Old 07-09-20, 09:43 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 3,112 Posts

2. Max 10 riders.

Our policy seems to be no officially announced group rides, just informal ones. I have seen no rides larger than 6. No rules for them. At least the exposure risk is low because the club draws from a wealthy population who are working from home and observing the protocols. There is certainly no good answer.
Old 07-09-20, 09:43 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,634 Times in 2,700 Posts
When we went to the arboretum the other day, we saw some grapes growing up a trellis. It made us briefly consider uprooting our pergola wisteria to plant grapes, instead. I think that they were wine grapes, though - I don't know if we could grow any eatin' varieties here. I'd certainly be interested, if we could.
We have a grape vine, or vines, or something along a fence, which seems to work well. (I don't know exactly, but Mrs. LAJ would) We also have a golden raspberry thing going on. (Defer to Mrs. LAJ again) The grapes are absolutely delicious, as are the raspberries. The problem would be racing the raccoons to the ripe grapes, though I think we have figured it out. Having motion sensor activated lights seems to have done the trick. A few years ago, we were waiting for just the right time to pick them, and literally a day or two before that weekend, the wildlife came in and stripped them bare. We stood there and just shook our head, and vowed to defeat those rascals.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 07-09-20, 09:49 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 3,112 Posts

These day's I'm motivated to do my share at the front to limit my exposure and make sure I get my chance to dose anyone behind me if I have it.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-09-20, 09:50 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by phrantic09
They let you ride on COTA? That's pretty cool.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3693529268

It so is. That Turn 1 hill is legit. The surface is rougher than you think though.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-09-20, 09:52 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LAJ
We have a grape vine, or vines, or something along a fence, which seems to work well. (I don't know exactly, but Mrs. LAJ would) We also have a golden raspberry thing going on. (Defer to Mrs. LAJ again) The grapes are absolutely delicious, as are the raspberries. The problem would be racing the raccoons to the ripe grapes, though I think we have figured it out. Having motion sensor activated lights seems to have done the trick. A few years ago, we were waiting for just the right time to pick them, and literally a day or two before that weekend, the wildlife came in and stripped them bare. We stood there and just shook our head, and vowed to defeat those rascals.
Clever little bastards. We had a similar problem with our (meager) blueberry crop and birds each of the last two years.

I'll have to look in to the grapes sometime. Plenty of the honey-do list at the moment, though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.