Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 07-09-20, 08:39 AM
  #12751  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 29,907

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13016 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,321 Posts
Veg garden is going ham -







WhyFi is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 08:40 AM
  #12752  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,756

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5565 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
We also get many Red Hats that think it's a liberal hoax.

I really enjoy refusing to help the Red Hats, especially when they get irate and start swearing at me..
I know they exist, but it seems so strange to think of that sort as cyclists.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-09-20, 08:45 AM
  #12753  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 29,907

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13016 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,321 Posts
Grrrrr. LPLO even though I already posted?!
WhyFi is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 08:49 AM
  #12754  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,190
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4238 Post(s)
Liked 1,239 Times in 705 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
I know they exist, but it seems so strange to think of that sort as cyclists.
The median age of Sun City AZ is 75, so we get a ton of them in the shop,
noodle soup is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 08:52 AM
  #12755  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 13,821

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
Just walked into a dicks in buffalo, the hand sanitizer they made me use smelled like straight whiskey. I don’t drink anymore, the smell made me gag. The lady just stared at me.
“That off-putting smell—sometimes described as rotten garbage or tequila-like—is the natural byproduct of ethanol being made from corn, sugar cane, beets, and other organic sources,” explained Zlotnik. “[Ethyl alcohol] production is highly regulated. It stinks because these new brands—many made by distillers who’ve pivoted from producing drinking alcohol to meet public demand for hand sanitizer—are making and using denatured ethanol. This ethanol costs significantly less than ethanol filtered using activated carbon filtration, which would typically remove almost all contaminants and the malodor with it.”

Those organic contaminants aren’t the only reason unfiltered and denatured ethanol smells downright foul. According to Zlotnik, denatured ethanol is also intentionally tainted with an unpalatable cocktail of chemicals (denaturants) such as methanol, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, and denatonium to make it undrinkable. In other words: The base material is intentionally stinky.------Wirecutter
__________________
Well look what the cat dragged in. Such a fine addition to the thread





seedsbelize is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 08:53 AM
  #12756  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,383

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12279 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 784 Posts
My bike club has unveiled a new "policy" for restarting group rides:

1. Only members allowed. No guests.
2. Max 10 riders.
3. Every rider must sign a usual ride waiver and a covid-waiver (that says they don't have any symptoms, will contact ride leader if symptoms develop, yadda yadda)
4. Must sign up on signup genius so we have a paper trail for contact tracing
5. Must maintain 20+ foot distance from other riders

I think all of those are reasonable, but the 20 foot distance is going to kinda ruin the group ride dynamic and benefit, so although I respect club leadership in coming up with a policy, I am going to do non-club private rides with 1-3 other friends as I have been doing, for now. They say the 20 foot distance came from USA Cycling.

I told them that determining "safe following distance" is a fool's errand, and there is no good answer.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 08:55 AM
  #12757  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 17,895

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6170 Post(s)
Liked 1,132 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
The median age of Sun City AZ is 75, so we get a ton of them in the shop,
"We stopped the world for you and your at-risk group, so the least you can do is respect those actions, and put a mask on. Now get the **** away from me before I punch you in the throat."

I figure a kind and gentle approach works the best.
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
In other news, to effect quick passes of other cyclists out this morning, I did dial it up to 400w to pass several times. It doesn't actually feel like much of anything for that duration. Not sure what that guy was on about.
LAJ is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 08:57 AM
  #12758  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,190
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4238 Post(s)
Liked 1,239 Times in 705 Posts
Back to work tomorrow(from self-quarantine), and I have 1 bike that needs a tuneup, no new bikes to build, and only 6 bikes to sell(2 year old E-bikes).

It's gonna be a long 6 hour day.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 09:00 AM
  #12759  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,190
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4238 Post(s)
Liked 1,239 Times in 705 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
"We stopped the world for you and your at-risk group, so the least you can do is respect those actions, and put a mask on. Now get the **** away from me before I punch you in the throat."

I need to memorize that phrase.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 09:06 AM
  #12760  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 1,889

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1408 Post(s)
Liked 808 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Veg garden is going ham -

​​​​​
Nice!

We currently have a cherry tomato plant attempting to take over the balcony.
abshipp is offline  
Likes For abshipp:
Old 07-09-20, 09:08 AM
  #12761  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 29,907

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13016 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
My bike club has unveiled a new "policy" for restarting group rides:

1. Only members allowed. No guests.
2. Max 10 riders.
3. Every rider must sign a usual ride waiver and a covid-waiver (that says they don't have any symptoms, will contact ride leader if symptoms develop, yadda yadda)
4. Must sign up on signup genius so we have a paper trail for contact tracing
5. Must maintain 20+ foot distance from other riders

I think all of those are reasonable, but the 20 foot distance is going to kinda ruin the group ride dynamic and benefit, so although I respect club leadership in coming up with a policy, I am going to do non-club private rides with 1-3 other friends as I have been doing, for now. They say the 20 foot distance came from USA Cycling.

I told them that determining "safe following distance" is a fool's errand, and there is no good answer.
What's the draft like at 20'?

Seriously, though, the thing that stands out to me in this is that maintaining a 20' gap is going to make passing really difficult for drivers. Like, obnoxiously and dangerously so.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 09:09 AM
  #12762  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 13,907
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 465 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
I know they exist, but it seems so strange to think of that sort as cyclists.
OMG my club president is devout. I know we're not supposed to get political here but that dude is extreme, as in nothing could change his mind, ever.
big john is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 09:09 AM
  #12763  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,756

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5565 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
"We stopped the world for you and your at-risk group, so the least you can do is respect those actions, and put a mask on. Now get the **** away from me before I punch you in the throat."

I figure a kind and gentle approach works the best.
I do have to admit, I’d find it a lot harder to do the right thing if I had lost my job to save people who mostly vilified me anyway.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-09-20, 09:11 AM
  #12764  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,756

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5565 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 719 Posts
I will probably venture back to COTA when it starts up again in September, so I can get some time on the P2 again before winter. I will be closer than 20’ to people, but briefly. Hopefully I manage to not catch it.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 09:11 AM
  #12765  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 29,907

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13016 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
Nice!

We currently have a cherry tomato plant attempting to take over the balcony.
When we went to the arboretum the other day, we saw some grapes growing up a trellis. It made us briefly consider uprooting our pergola wisteria to plant grapes, instead. I think that they were wine grapes, though - I don't know if we could grow any eatin' varieties here. I'd certainly be interested, if we could.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 09:12 AM
  #12766  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 13,907
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 465 Posts
My club just posted a full schedule for this coming weekend with 4 rides to choose from on Saturday. No rules except to carry a mask , as far as I can see.
big john is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 09:23 AM
  #12767  
phrantic09
Road Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 560

Bikes: Felt Z4, Felt F75, Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
I will probably venture back to COTA when it starts up again in September, so I can get some time on the P2 again before winter. I will be closer than 20’ to people, but briefly. Hopefully I manage to not catch it.
They let you ride on COTA? That's pretty cool.
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 09:29 AM
  #12768  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,383

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12279 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
What's the draft like at 20'?

Seriously, though, the thing that stands out to me in this is that maintaining a 20' gap is going to make passing really difficult for drivers. Like, obnoxiously and dangerously so.
Yeah. Agree. It's like a group solo ride at that point and may be more dangerous with drivers. Apparently USA Cycling has made that recommendation and that's why the club picked it.

Some of my friends went on a small group ride and agreed to try to keep 20 feet apart. They found it more difficult than staying on someone's wheel.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 09:34 AM
  #12769  
phrantic09
Road Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 560

Bikes: Felt Z4, Felt F75, Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 109 Posts
Proud moment this week.

Back in December my CEO, our Chief Innovation Officer, one of my staff and I went to Baltimore to meet with some folks at the Medicare Innovation Center regarding how they are payment bundles for lower joint replacement. Without getting into the sausage making, my team had put together an analysis that demonstrated how a payment policy change at the start of 2019 made the initial assumptions and methodology understate the actual cost of the bundles. During the meeting, they pretty much pushed us off, but stated they would look into it and send our analysis to their analytics vendor. Their own internal analytics people later said what we were demonstrating didn't have any impact nationally, but our analysis was still with the vendor.

This week their analytics vendor came out with an analysis that essentially mirrored ours and drew the same conclusions. They admitted that the methodology was incomplete and they will likely be taking action to make changes. They may be retroactive and if so, it will net us a lot of additional revenue (10M+). If it goes through - they should buy me a boat. I celebrated last night with palomas and paid the price on my ride this AM. Totally worth it.
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 09:36 AM
  #12770  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,756

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5565 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Yeah. Agree. It's like a group solo ride at that point and may be more dangerous with drivers. Apparently USA Cycling has made that recommendation and that's why the club picked it.

Some of my friends went on a small group ride and agreed to try to keep 20 feet apart. They found it more difficult than staying on someone's wheel.
Yeah at that point I’d rather just agree that everyone is riding in the same vicinity and so you have some closer support in an emergency.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 09:43 AM
  #12771  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,879

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3929 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 753 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
My bike club has unveiled a new "policy" for restarting group rides:

1. Only members allowed. No guests.
2. Max 10 riders.
3. Every rider must sign a usual ride waiver and a covid-waiver (that says they don't have any symptoms, will contact ride leader if symptoms develop, yadda yadda)
4. Must sign up on signup genius so we have a paper trail for contact tracing
5. Must maintain 20+ foot distance from other riders

I think all of those are reasonable, but the 20 foot distance is going to kinda ruin the group ride dynamic and benefit, so although I respect club leadership in coming up with a policy, I am going to do non-club private rides with 1-3 other friends as I have been doing, for now. They say the 20 foot distance came from USA Cycling.

I told them that determining "safe following distance" is a fool's errand, and there is no good answer.
Our policy seems to be no officially announced group rides, just informal ones. I have seen no rides larger than 6. No rules for them. At least the exposure risk is low because the club draws from a wealthy population who are working from home and observing the protocols. There is certainly no good answer.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 09:43 AM
  #12772  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 17,895

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6170 Post(s)
Liked 1,132 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
When we went to the arboretum the other day, we saw some grapes growing up a trellis. It made us briefly consider uprooting our pergola wisteria to plant grapes, instead. I think that they were wine grapes, though - I don't know if we could grow any eatin' varieties here. I'd certainly be interested, if we could.
We have a grape vine, or vines, or something along a fence, which seems to work well. (I don't know exactly, but Mrs. LAJ would) We also have a golden raspberry thing going on. (Defer to Mrs. LAJ again) The grapes are absolutely delicious, as are the raspberries. The problem would be racing the raccoons to the ripe grapes, though I think we have figured it out. Having motion sensor activated lights seems to have done the trick. A few years ago, we were waiting for just the right time to pick them, and literally a day or two before that weekend, the wildlife came in and stripped them bare. We stood there and just shook our head, and vowed to defeat those rascals.
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
In other news, to effect quick passes of other cyclists out this morning, I did dial it up to 400w to pass several times. It doesn't actually feel like much of anything for that duration. Not sure what that guy was on about.
LAJ is offline  
Likes For LAJ:
Old 07-09-20, 09:49 AM
  #12773  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,879

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3929 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 753 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
What's the draft like at 20'?

Seriously, though, the thing that stands out to me in this is that maintaining a 20' gap is going to make passing really difficult for drivers. Like, obnoxiously and dangerously so.
These day's I'm motivated to do my share at the front to limit my exposure and make sure I get my chance to dose anyone behind me if I have it.
MoAlpha is offline  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-09-20, 09:50 AM
  #12774  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,756

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5565 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
They let you ride on COTA? That's pretty cool.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3693529268

It so is. That Turn 1 hill is legit. The surface is rougher than you think though.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-09-20, 09:52 AM
  #12775  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 29,907

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13016 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
We have a grape vine, or vines, or something along a fence, which seems to work well. (I don't know exactly, but Mrs. LAJ would) We also have a golden raspberry thing going on. (Defer to Mrs. LAJ again) The grapes are absolutely delicious, as are the raspberries. The problem would be racing the raccoons to the ripe grapes, though I think we have figured it out. Having motion sensor activated lights seems to have done the trick. A few years ago, we were waiting for just the right time to pick them, and literally a day or two before that weekend, the wildlife came in and stripped them bare. We stood there and just shook our head, and vowed to defeat those rascals.
Clever little bastards. We had a similar problem with our (meager) blueberry crop and birds each of the last two years.

I'll have to look in to the grapes sometime. Plenty of the honey-do list at the moment, though.
WhyFi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.