Contact tracing from Google and Apple

Old 04-14-20, 07:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12020 Post(s)
Liked 3,363 Times in 1,876 Posts
Contact tracing from Google and Apple

The two companies will update their customers' phones in May to be capable of a form of opt-in contact tracing. Phones will broadcast semi-random identifiers over Bluetooth, and remember which IDs they've been within range of - up to 30 feet. When somebody tests positive and shares the result with an app, people will be notified that they've been in proximity with an infected person.

Steps have been taken to thwart the obvious privacy issues, data stays on the device, you aren't told which infected person, and the way the identifiers work. It isn't prefect though.

In normal times, this kind of system would be a little disturbing. For now I hope everybody will put that aside.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/...ng-technology/
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-15-20, 06:51 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
I can surrender some privacy considerations for a while but I'm not a fan as of now based on how it appears to work. From what I've heard so far it's not workable:
  • Only 70-75% of Americans have smart phones so many people are automatically excluded. If everyone else must opt-in, the limited pool of participants who do so could make it worthless,
  • My understanding is that public health agencies would be notified and testing would commence, which makes sense to me. But, my concern is that contact tracing will require 300,000 workers and unless those workers are hired the rest will fall apart.
  • Unless anyone can get tested based on the data, knowing we may be positive will create issues because steps may need to be taken but we won't know for certain what to do without a test.
  • With high participation, the potential volume of notifications could be overwhelming. Imagine if someone at a train station tests positive or someone in Times Square after current restrictions are eased. Beyond that, it's possible the volume of people coming within 20-30 feet of anyone who tests positive over a period of a week or more could be huge. If all those people must be tested, the volume of tests could be overwhelming particularly given our inability to test up to now.
Having said all that, I'd opt-in (and hope everyone does, as well) although I'm skeptical of its value.

Last edited by Tony P.; 04-15-20 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-15-20, 07:03 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 4520 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 575 Posts
I like this idea and I like what I've read so far as to how it will be implemented. The best way to get the economy moving is to ignore the politics and think hard about the underlying medical issues. Widespread testing, masks, and contact tracing will do the job until a vaccine is developed.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-15-20, 04:34 PM
crank_addict

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 241 Posts
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 04-15-20, 04:59 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
Likes For wgscott:
Old 04-15-20, 05:44 PM
alo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 70 Posts
If the government passed a law saying everyone would be tracked, there would be a public outcry. But put out some propaganda about a Coronavirus, and most people are happy to let the government track their every move. People believe everything on the media is true. They can't see the agenda behind it.
Old 04-15-20, 06:02 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by alo View Post
If the government passed a law saying everyone would be tracked, there would be a public outcry. But put out some propaganda about a Coronavirus, and most people are happy to let the government track their every move. People believe everything on the media is true. They can't see the agenda behind it.
It's shocking that people can't grasp that the Global Elites have used 5G to spread Coronavirus to consolidate their worldwide dominance.
Ooops, I though this was the tinfoil had forum...
Likes For gregf83:
Old 04-15-20, 06:12 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

The governments already track you.

So do Google, Apple, Fakebook, etc....
Old 04-15-20, 06:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

When did Google and Apple become the government? And for the record, they've been tracking you all along.
Old 04-15-20, 07:30 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Trek 770, Trek 760, Schwinn Peloton, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 222 Posts
I've been tracked since 1970 when I resisted the draft for Viet Nam. I'm pretty sure there is a big file with my name on it somewhere in DC., but it is not keeping me awake at night. You get used to it after a while.... Smiles, MH
Old 04-15-20, 07:46 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Probably the most comical thing about the pandemic lockdown is all the people who have been cheerleading the complete dismantling of constitutional democracy since (at least) 2001 are suddenly mortally offended when they are being told to stay home temporarily and stop spreading a disease in probably the most polite, non-militaristic manner conceivable.
Old 04-15-20, 10:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

People who die of caronavirus usually go to the hospital for help when it gets bad. The hospital has to isolate them from the public, the family isn't allowed in to say goodbye.

Normally I'd be wary of this kind of thing for privacy reasons. But I'll make an exception here, my data isn't worth anybody's life.
Old 04-16-20, 05:55 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
No one said the government would be tracking people and only those who voluntarily agree to participate would be included. You may not realize it but 90% of us are out of work and most businesses are closed. You may think that's a hoax but anyone who spends time in reality can tell it's not.
Likes For Tony P.:
Old 04-16-20, 08:22 AM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Can I get a tracker detailing my proximity to released criminals, due to the fright they may become sick while incarcerated? That could be handy.
Old 04-16-20, 09:45 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

A petition you can sign in favor of contact-tracing (which, as pointed out above, is clearly an economic system in which workers own the means of production).

https://www.renehersecycles.com/covi...u/#more-119061
Old 04-16-20, 09:54 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,097 Times in 708 Posts
I’ve heard of the marijuana contact buzz where you are only inhaling fumes from other people smoking hippie lettuce. Another communist lie!
Old 04-16-20, 10:24 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 162 Posts
I'm fairly confident Trump and his minions aren't clever enough to have an agenda, well except one that goes "break society and make the rich richer"