Mask for cyclists

Old 04-30-20, 02:39 PM
Texboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mask for cyclists

I have seen plenty of sport masks on Amazon. Do you wear a mask while cycling? Are these breathable and cool during the summer?
Old 04-30-20, 02:53 PM
brewerkz 

Bikes: 2010 Schwinn Madison, 1988 Colnago Super, 1946 Higgins Ultralite.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
not needed
Old 04-30-20, 03:50 PM
Texboy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brewerkz View Post
not needed
Really, in Covid-19?
Old 04-30-20, 03:53 PM
bran1986

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Allez

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Texboy View Post
Really, in Covid-19?
Correct. Not needed if you are biking/running/walking outside, so long as you do not come within 6 feet of other people. At least those are the rules in PA.
Likes For bran1986:
Old 04-30-20, 03:55 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
You could get it from just one drop. The 6 foot rule is not a guarantee of anything just a starting point. I wear n95 for shopping but surgical mask if I go biking and it will likely be busy out.
Likes For Oneder:
Old 04-30-20, 03:58 PM
bran1986

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Allez

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder View Post
You could get it from just one drop. The 6 foot rule is not a guarantee of anything just a starting point. I wear n95 for shopping but surgical mask if I go biking and it will likely be busy out.
I don't disagree with you; I was just reciting the rules for PA. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I make sure to not come within 10-15 feet of pedestrians while biking. I also bike in the evening/night so that makes this even easier.
Likes For bran1986:
Old 04-30-20, 04:10 PM
GeneO

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by bran1986 View Post
Correct. Not needed if you are biking/running/walking outside, so long as you do not come within 6 feet of other people. At least those are the rules in PA.
The 6 feet is for a static distance. When you are following or passing someone, you need to keep out of their slipstream. which can be up to 60 feet long for a cyclist from one study.

Now the mask will help protect other people from you unless it is n95, which protects you to, but try to get one of those.

Last edited by GeneO; 04-30-20 at 04:14 PM.
Likes For GeneO:
Old 04-30-20, 04:22 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Now the mask will help protect other people from you unless it is n95, which protects you to, but try to get one of those.
I've seen some wearing N95's with valves. Great for drywall sanding, not good for those around you on the street, in stores, etc.
Old 04-30-20, 04:38 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 91 Posts
My wife made us masks. I can walk with the mask on, but I'd get short of breath quickly on a bike. I'll carry a mask with me in case I seek or offer help.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 04-30-20, 05:10 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400t, 1977 Trek TX900, 1981 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1991 PDG Paramount OS, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 93 Posts
No, and never will, when cycling anyway.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 04-30-20, 05:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 3626 Post(s)
Liked 1,159 Times in 768 Posts
Nope. Sometimes I'll wear a surgical mask on cold dry winter rides to minimize sinus headaches. But I can't breathe well enough in warm weather for more than a walking type exertion on a bike ride. I've tried wearing them before to reduce pollen but it makes things worse by substituting one problem for another. Switching to a more effective antihistamine and inhaler worked better than wearing a mask for allergies/asthma.

Since the earliest reports of the coronavirus I ride solo and rarely come within 50 yards of anyone else. Pretty much the same practice I do every winter. I usually skip most group rides until spring or the cold/flu season is mostly over. I'm immune compromised so I have to be careful anyway.

I do wear a mask in shops, to check the mail in my building, pretty much anywhere I'm around people. I'm just walking so it's not bad.

To be effective for bike rides or any aerobic exercise I'd need a positive pressure cooled air respirator. It's possible to do, but not worth the hassle and expense since I can easily avoid people on my usual bike routes. But such a device could be useful for folks in urban areas where they can't avoid people outdoors.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-30-20, 06:04 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S, Nashbar 3sp commuter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Texboy View Post
I have seen plenty of sport masks on Amazon. Do you wear a mask while cycling? Are these breathable and cool during the summer?
the great outdoors will dilute any exhaled aerosol to nothing in seconds, add the killing effect of sunshine UV, and IMO unless someone coughs directly into your face, nothing is going to happen. I avoid group rides, because Id rather not be directly behind someone gasping and wheezing for any period of time. The few social distancing rides we did were weird - not one thing or another, so we tacitly decided to discontinue these

Last edited by Litespud; 04-30-20 at 06:12 PM.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 04-30-20, 06:52 PM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts

Yesterday while I did a 40 miler.
Likes For ririder:
Old 04-30-20, 06:56 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 818 Posts
I see an occasional rider in a mask-- more power to 'em. I won't do it. Too hot, too restrictive of breathing. Then the whole thing about the negative effects of re-breathing your own breath.

I keep one in a jersey pocket should I need to stop somewhere. Worn while riding? Nope.
Old 04-30-20, 07:06 PM
GlennR
Passing on your left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 356 Posts
I don't wear one. I also don't ride MUPs. I stick to back roads and not concerned about the few cars that pass.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 04-30-20, 07:16 PM
pbass

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 55 Posts
I wear a bandana and only pull it up if I get close to anyone, or anyone w/o a mask passes me and I'm in their slipstream. I'm seeing about 30/70 percent riders with/without face coverings where I live in SoCal. We're required by law right now to wear one when we go out. It's really not THAT hard. I had this tool yesterday pass by me on a slow hard climb, huffing and puffing, about a foot away from me, maskless, and starts talking to me, and he's freaking spitting when he talks. Jeezus. I've already had covid-19, but still, no one knows how this thing behaves, even the experts are winging it.
Likes For pbass:
Old 04-30-20, 08:02 PM
GlennR
Passing on your left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 356 Posts
Two days ago I saw some recreational riders ride past my house wearing masks and no helmets.

So they made a decision that the odds of crashing and hitting their head was less than catching Covid-19.
Old 04-30-20, 08:20 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Cicc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 25 Posts
Where I live masks are required in any closed public space and recommended outdoors. I usually ride solo out in the country without a mask. I also rarely come within twenty feet of other cyclists or pedestrians.
Riding in town, however, I do wear a homemade cotton mask (Mom has found new meaning for her life making masks). It's hot and unpleasant and I can only put up with it for about half an hour.
Likes For Oldguyonoldbike:
Old 04-30-20, 08:30 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Felt Speedway2. Norco Indie3. VROD:)

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 86 Posts
With the amount of air pollution rising in the Big City and the fact that I have seasonal allergies, I considered wearing an air filtration mask. The RZ mask is a reuseable mask made of nylon mesh that has a disposable charcoal filter good for 60 hours of continuous use and can filter .1 microns.

Unfortunately, all sold out now but when they're back in stock I test one out for cycling....
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 04-30-20, 08:33 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 153 Posts
First time I went out with a mask it was one the wife stitched up for use in the nursing home, triple layer; that was awful to experience. The purpose of the mask is to inhibit your breath and keep it closer to you and it doesn't take much. For the second ride the mask was a strip of soft, spandex type fabric with a slip at each end that fits over the ear. It does allow for much easier breathing and worked well. No problem 90 min on the mtb.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 04-30-20, 08:34 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud View Post
the great outdoors will dilute any exhaled aerosol to nothing in seconds, add the killing effect of sunshine UV, and IMO unless someone coughs directly into your face, nothing is going to happen. I avoid group rides, because Id rather not be directly behind someone gasping and wheezing for any period of time. The few social distancing rides we did were weird - not one thing or another, so we tacitly decided to discontinue these
What about overcast weather? And UV levels are low, whichvis how we survive on this planet thanks to the ozone layer.

UV used for disinfection, like in air handlers is very strong and will damage your eyes. Normal sunlight is much less potent.

And to who ever said to keep 15ft from runners. Do you have 20' wide bike paths? Not even accounting for the groups of people who still take the entire width of the path. Add up and downstream of the wind and you see how a droplet is just milliseconds in the air before it hits you.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 04-30-20, 10:51 PM
RandomlyWest

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
On Facebook, a "friend" told me that cyclists who rode without masks in the San Fernando Valley were "silent killers in Lycra."

I told him to read this. (Which is definitely worth the click.)
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...nfectious-dose
Old 04-30-20, 11:27 PM
GeneO

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
What about overcast weather? And UV levels are low, whichvis how we survive on this planet thanks to the ozone layer.

UV used for disinfection, like in air handlers is very strong and will damage your eyes. Normal sunlight is much less potent.

And to who ever said to keep 15ft from runners. Do you have 20' wide bike paths? Not even accounting for the groups of people who still take the entire width of the path. Add up and downstream of the wind and you see how a droplet is just milliseconds in the air before it hits you.
The contrail behind a runner or cyclist is narrow ( assuming little wind). Trouble is someone riding or running on both sides of a path or two side-by-side.

This is why I am riding on roads now instead of paths, I am at high risk. I am planning on trying paths at night.
Old 04-30-20, 11:59 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth View Post
First time I went out with a mask it was one the wife stitched up for use in the nursing home, triple layer; that was awful to experience. The purpose of the mask is to inhibit your breath and keep it closer to you and it doesn't take much. For the second ride the mask was a strip of soft, spandex type fabric with a slip at each end that fits over the ear. It does allow for much easier breathing and worked well. No problem 90 min on the mtb.
Pointless. You're not protected from anything wearing that. Not even household dust.

Also, I don't understand the need to wear a mask to mountain bike. Unless you're gonna be riding around a lot of people, why bother?
Old 05-01-20, 01:19 AM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2 View Post
With the amount of air pollution rising in the Big City and the fact that I have seasonal allergies, I considered wearing an air filtration mask. The RZ mask is a reuseable mask made of nylon mesh that has a disposable charcoal filter good for 60 hours of continuous use and can filter .1 microns.

Unfortunately, all sold out now but when they're back in stock I test one out for cycling....
Charcoal filters are only good for a certain time frame. After they, they do nothing. That is essentially the mechanism for organic volatile filters for respirators. Once that package is open, it is only good for 3 days, no matter how much you actually breath through it.

Fun fact, RZ mask blocked me from commenting on their FB advertisements for asking about NIOSH ratings.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.