Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike saddle questions for the ladies

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-06-20, 01:50 PM
TikaLayne

Bikes: Trek Verve 2 Specialized Awol Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Alright ladies..tell me what saddles you would recommend please..
Old 05-06-20, 03:34 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Many females of my acquaintance, including my wife, like the Sella Italia Diva.
Old 05-07-20, 04:47 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Take a look at the Bontrager Ajna. I'm not a woman but I bought one from the LBS bargain box just to try it out -- the profile was similar to my preferred Selle Italia saddles. It was an unused take-off from a new Trek. I think I paid $50, less than half the MSRP. It's quite comfy. The nose is very slightly shorter than I'd prefer but it hasn't been a problem when I'm in and out of the saddle for climbs and sprints. It's also very slightly wider than I prefer -- I think it's 145mm and I prefer 130 -- but it hasn't really been noticeable.

It's a nice combination of resilient padding without feeling like a sofa cushion, with a shell that flexes just enough to absorb road vibration. Wouldn't be my first choice for pavement, but has been comfy on rougher pavement and gravel.

The Cobb and ISM saddles are also popular with folks who are uncomfortable with conventional saddles for longer rides. I borrowed a Cobb saddle from a friend -- I think he and his wife both like the Cobb on their tandem.
Old 05-07-20, 07:15 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 429 Posts
Not a woman, but one of the women I know recently bought this and is very happy with it: Terry Women's Butterfly Galactic+ Bicycle Saddle | Terry
Old 05-07-20, 10:45 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Also not a lady, but I bought myself a Brooks Flyer before my first tour. My daughter, who rode with me, was having trouble with her saddle, so I put it on her bike.

I never got it back.
Old 05-07-20, 11:23 AM
washed up

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
My daughter loves this saddle.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/wo...SABEgL4b_D_BwE
Old 05-07-20, 11:32 AM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I would buy a Brooks Women's saddle. Buy once cry once. The B17 works well for this male. I'm sure there is a Women's model available as well. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 05-07-20, 03:10 PM
TikaLayne

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
thank you all for your input...I rode a Brooks on a friend of mines bike and had not problems with it ..
Old 05-07-20, 03:44 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Also not a woman..but I played one on TV..no wait..that's not right..

I've purchased a number, like 5-6, saddles for by GF's bikes. While I don't ride them, I get her reviews and if not great, I continue the research into different options. I want her to be comfortable and not just put up with a an uncomfortable or marginally comfortable saddle.

Based on that..the key thing we've discovered is to avoid the typical approach to women's saddles..which is to favor saddles that are a bit wider..in the 140s to 150mm range. It isn't the 140s-150mm that's the issue, rather it's the transition from the wider rear portion of the saddle to the narrow horn. If the mid-horn area (mid-saddle, halfway between the rear edge & front edge of the saddle) is too wide then her thighs hit this region and push her butt forward on the saddle. This sets up a battle between sliding back to sit on the saddle and her legs pushing her forward. This is then followed by multiple adjustments sliding the saddle forward on the seatpost to get her butt to settle in farther back..this doesn't work and shouldn't be done in general as this messes up fitting her saddle properly in relation to the crank.

Once we figured out the mid-horn area is the real problem we abandoned 3-4 saddles we'd tried as they could never possibly work, be adjusted in, no matter how comfortable they were to sit on. Saddles in this group were a couple unknowns(generic Bianchi I had laying around and one other), a Terry Butterfly, and a Specialized Milano.

Her sit-bone width is 108mm. So next we tried a different approach and picked up a Terry Falcon..nope, still too wide in the mid-horn area. Then a Terry Dragonfly (men's saddle, basically the same as a Terry Damselfly, 267mm long by 130mm wide) and this works quite well. Then I ran across the Cobb saddle deal on the Goodwill site(deal is still going at a slightly higher price and as an auction..I picked them up for $25 each) and had to go for a couple of them(she has multiple bikes) as they were such a great deal and spec'd out well. I picked up two Cobb V-Flow saddles. 130mm wide with a narrow mid-horn area. She rode this last weekend for the first time..30 miles..after a couple adjustments she's thinking we have a winner. The Terry Dragonfly is still a very possible option, but between the two (Dragonfly/Damselfly and the V-Flow) I think we've found her saddle(s).

RE: the original poster (OP)...

1) measure your sit bone width. (Google "diy measuring sit bone width" and you'll fine some instructions that probably include tin foil and some carpeted stairs)
2) add 20mm to your measured sit bone width..this will be your ballpark saddle width you should start evaluating. Saddles are generally spec'd by length, width, and weight.
3) Try some saddles and see where you net out.

Also..if you google "women's triathlon saddle forum" you should find a good, long discussion on women's saddles by women triathletes..

oh..and stay away from excessive gel saddles or the gel saddle covers..bad news..waste of money. Minor padding is fine, no padding can be great too. Shape and width are the key factors to comfort.

Last edited by fishboat; 05-07-20 at 03:51 PM. Reason: edit..forgot something
Old 05-07-20, 08:54 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Also not a woman..but I played one on TV..no wait..that's not right..

I've purchased a number, like 5-6, saddles for by GF's bikes. While I don't ride them, I get her reviews and if not great, I continue the research into different options. I want her to be comfortable and not just put up with a an uncomfortable or marginally comfortable saddle.

Based on that..the key thing we've discovered is to avoid the typical approach to women's saddles..which is to favor saddles that are a bit wider..in the 140s to 150mm range. It isn't the 140s-150mm that's the issue, rather it's the transition from the wider rear portion of the saddle to the narrow horn. If the mid-horn area (mid-saddle, halfway between the rear edge & front edge of the saddle) is too wide then her thighs hit this region and push her butt forward on the saddle. This sets up a battle between sliding back to sit on the saddle and her legs pushing her forward. This is then followed by multiple adjustments sliding the saddle forward on the seatpost to get her butt to settle in farther back..this doesn't work and shouldn't be done in general as this messes up fitting her saddle properly in relation to the crank.

Once we figured out the mid-horn area is the real problem we abandoned 3-4 saddles we'd tried as they could never possibly work, be adjusted in, no matter how comfortable they were to sit on. Saddles in this group were a couple unknowns(generic Bianchi I had laying around and one other), a Terry Butterfly, and a Specialized Milano.

Her sit-bone width is 108mm. So next we tried a different approach and picked up a Terry Falcon..nope, still too wide in the mid-horn area. Then a Terry Dragonfly (men's saddle, basically the same as a Terry Damselfly, 267mm long by 130mm wide) and this works quite well. Then I ran across the Cobb saddle deal on the Goodwill site(deal is still going at a slightly higher price and as an auction..I picked them up for $25 each) and had to go for a couple of them(she has multiple bikes) as they were such a great deal and spec'd out well. I picked up two Cobb V-Flow saddles. 130mm wide with a narrow mid-horn area. She rode this last weekend for the first time..30 miles..after a couple adjustments she's thinking we have a winner. The Terry Dragonfly is still a very possible option, but between the two (Dragonfly/Damselfly and the V-Flow) I think we've found her saddle(s).

RE: the original poster (OP)...

1) measure your sit bone width. (Google "diy measuring sit bone width" and you'll fine some instructions that probably include tin foil and some carpeted stairs)
2) add 20mm to your measured sit bone width..this will be your ballpark saddle width you should start evaluating. Saddles are generally spec'd by length, width, and weight.
3) Try some saddles and see where you net out.

Also..if you google "women's triathlon saddle forum" you should find a good, long discussion on women's saddles by women triathletes..

oh..and stay away from excessive gel saddles or the gel saddle covers..bad news..waste of money. Minor padding is fine, no padding can be great too. Shape and width are the key factors to comfort.
Exactly right, IME. And not just for females. I need the same thing. My process is to find plan view photos on the web and by trial and error, print them out so they're the same length or width, then hold them up to the light and see the shape. It's fiddly but free. That's how we bought that Selle I recced upthread. I'm riding L2 Selle Italia Flite TM Flow saddles which fit those criteria. Officially, there are "T" and "Pear" shaped saddles. We prefer the "T" type. I like to check out candidate saddles at bike shops by sitting on them in nylon running shorts. Padded shorts do a lot to minimize the effects and feel of ill-fitting saddles.
Old 05-08-20, 08:05 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
ISM
https://ismseat.com/

Why ride old tech when there is better, you just have to NOT follow the herd..
It's In the science,, do read it.
They let you test ride for the cost of return shipping...

Tika, trust me on this, You WILL thank me, This I know.
Old 05-08-20, 08:09 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The wife has been on a Selle Anatomica NSX1 for I think three years now, which says something-- she probably went through 5 saddles in the three years prior.
Old 05-08-20, 12:41 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I know quite a few ladies that ride competitively on ISM saddles and won't give them up for anything. But if you don't like that style of saddle, Terry makes a complete line of women's saddles that you may want to check out.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-08-20, 03:09 PM
TikaLayne

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I tried posting a pc but not allowed just yet.. the saddle that came on my bike is a Specialized Phenom Alloy, I've only put about 50 miles on it so may not be giving it a fair chance.
Old 05-08-20, 03:38 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TikaLayne
I tried posting a pc but not allowed just yet.. the saddle that came on my bike is a Specialized Phenom Alloy, I've only put about 50 miles on it so may not be giving it a fair chance.
Google, 'Sit Bones'
I will say a normal saddle gives me great pain in the first few miles even after several tries.
My First ISM saddle gave me no pain on the very first 15 mile ride, and the second and third,,
I had them on my Mountain bikes, gravel bikes and my road bike,,
I never rode an old school pain saddle again.

The biggest mistake people make is not following the very specific forward/aft mounting position and ride sit location when trying an ISM..

Last edited by osco53; 05-08-20 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-09-20, 05:30 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
If you're just starting to ride for the season then it takes a few 25-30+mile rides to toughen up your...contact points. Once that happens and your saddle isn't comfortable..then it's time to go shopping.

(Though I have to say..since I switched over to Brooks saddles I'm good from the first ride on. You'll need to figure out your sit-bone width to determine where to start. Brooks has a narrow model that may be of help)
Old 05-09-20, 07:26 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
If Brooks feels too wide, the Selle AnAtomica NSX is slightly more svelt, especially thru the mid section - while still being comfortable right out of the box.
Old 05-10-20, 07:37 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
Google, 'Sit Bones'
I will say a normal saddle gives me great pain in the first few miles even after several tries.
My First ISM saddle gave me no pain on the very first 15 mile ride, and the second and third,,
I had them on my Mountain bikes, gravel bikes and my road bike,,
I never rode an old school pain saddle again.

The biggest mistake people make is not following the very specific forward/aft mounting position and ride sit location when trying an ISM..
I put an ISM Prologue saddle on my 2012 Colnago ACE after the Selle OEM saddle gave me so much pain that it was unbearable to ride more than a few miles. My bike fitter suggested the ISM but I was hesitant to try one because of the shape. He took the Prologue saddle off of one of his bikes and told me to go try it. It was love at first sit. The first ride on it was a 40 mile, blissful ride with no pain or irritation whatsoever. Been riding on an ISM ever since and won't look back. I have one on both road bikes.

You're also very correct in your statement about improper mounting and sitting position when trying ISM saddles. If they are mounted properly, they're awesome.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-11-20, 04:57 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Serfas RX. After many years riding with her, I found really good reviews and picked one up for my wife. Happy wife...

John
Old 05-16-20, 02:57 PM
TikaLayne

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you all for the information..I've put several miles on the last couple days..I'm trying to stick with my saddle but IDK..
Old 05-16-20, 03:24 PM
TikaLayne

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

This is my current saddle
Old 05-17-20, 10:56 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Also not a lady, but I bought myself a Brooks Flyer before my first tour. My daughter, who rode with me, was having trouble with her saddle, so I put it on her bike.

I never got it back.
Same experience I had - I bought myself a pricey NOS Brooks B17 Select, and she piped up "I hate my saddle!" So I "loaned" it to her, and after two years it is broken in and causes never a complaint. I got a new gas grill and another Select out of it, so ... I guess it's all good!

Also, a shop in a nearby town said they were good at fitting and she said "Great, let's do it!" I think it was just an excuse to sell us an expensive saddle, and it was a Selle Italia Diva. She hated it after two days.
Old 05-17-20, 11:24 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluesfrog
I would buy a Brooks Women's saddle. Buy once cry once. The B17 works well for this male. I'm sure there is a Women's model available as well. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Mrs. Road Fan LOVES her B17, but it is the standard version, not an Imperial model, no lacing. She tried a Professional "S" a number of years ago, and did not like it. There is a long-time member here, from Australia, who is also a woman who likes the standard B17. I think women should feel free to consider the saddles that are out there (or whatever catches her eye as with my 17 Select), not just the ones designed specifically for women. I wish Mrs. Road Fan had said "Can you get me one of those?" but after about 2 years, it's just important that she has a saddle she can ride for 50+ miles.
Old 05-18-20, 11:05 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Thank you all for the information..I've put several miles on the last couple days..I'm trying to stick with my saddle but IDK..
I wish you were close - I'd let you borrow mine for a few days.
Old 05-31-20, 04:58 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
My ex swears that the only thing I got right in our relationship was my gift of a Terry Liberator X Elite for her

Terry Women's Liberator X Elite Bike Saddle | Terry

She never liked the Brooks B17s I originally put on her bike.

She traded me in, but hasn't parted with the Liberator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.