Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Dealing with the Covid 15. Vinnie Tortorich was right!

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Dealing with the Covid 15. Vinnie Tortorich was right!

Old 05-17-20, 10:39 AM
  #1  
DMC707
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 3,748

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 116 Posts
Dealing with the Covid 15. Vinnie Tortorich was right!

Vinnie Tortorich, A Fitness guru type who I follow through Podcasts recently stated that all the shut ins across America would be going through the COVID-15 before long. That is a 15 pound weight gain attributed to modified eating habits

I felt a pinch in my jeans yesterday and have not been monitoring my weight on the scale lately because my fiancť purloined my scale for her own weight loss goals. Bless her heart

I finally said- "let's get to the bottom of this " -- and bought another scale at one of the box stores. Lo and behold I am a victim of the Covid 15 myself

just got in from a road trip due to double deaths in the family. (Not Corona related) 10 days in the car eating croissanwiches and beef jerky with unimpeded beer flow in the evenings, will also not do a body good

Time to reset and re-focus. Goal is to get back into dietary ketosis and reverse the Covid 15 very quickly

Since the funerals i attended were out of state , my work has given me a mandatory two week self quarantine.-So while losing 15 pounds in two weeks is asking a bit much - I can certainly reignite some better habits in the off time

wish me luck folks!!
DMC707 is offline  
Likes For DMC707:
Old 05-17-20, 10:50 AM
  #2  
DMC707
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 3,748

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 116 Posts
Btw - I cannot blame this event on being shut in or staying at home and eating weird food. I'm considered an essential worker

I had gotten accustomed to weighing myself every day and this was a tool that told me when I needed to back off a bit

the absence of that simple scale for a couple months plus my generally poor discipline with beer lately did me in
DMC707 is offline  
Likes For DMC707:
Old 05-17-20, 11:06 AM
  #3  
Oneder
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 822

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Start fasting. I lost 80 pounds fasting. I iused to go on longer fasts but now I just eat every other day and I think this has the best results. I have managed to lose over 80 pounds while gaining back lost strength at the same time. It's also great for boosting your immune system and for anti-aging!

Some of the myriad benefits of fasting on the immune system, blood pressure, blood sugar and anti-aging, all evidence based:
Blood pressure is quickly and dramatically lowered, which is very important for a good outcome with the current pandemic.
Blood clotting is reduced and blood clots and arterial plague are absorbed into the body.
Vitamin D plasma levels are increased.
Blood sugar and insulin are lowered, allowing white blood cells to move more freely throughout the body and do their job. Ideal blood sugar is around 80. Some viruses activate glycolosis (the release of sugar in the body) and clinically it has been shown that decreasing glucose metabolism in the body weakens the influenza virus.

The hormone Leptin is an immunomodulator that keeps the body from attacking itself and obesity causes lepti resistance. Fasting very quickly reduces leptin resistance and leptin levels and one day of fasting can cut your leptin levels in half and gets your immune system working properly again!

When you move out of MTOR your body shuts down the building blocks of the cell which are used to produce organelles and proteins. This means the mechanisms needed by viruses to replicate are by and large unavailable when you are in a deeply fasted state.

It stimulates the AMPK complex and activates autophagy. Autophagy (literally self eating) will cause cells to recycle foreign matter such as viruses and kill cancerous and senescent cells. AMPK does many helpful things in the body including activating the body's antioxidant defenses.

Deep ketosis virtually eliminates inflammation in the body. This can offset the life threatening symptoms of viral pneumonia which effectively kills you through inflammation. This also creates BHB ketones in your body, which also help your immune system and anti-oxidative system, especially in the brain. Ketones also provide an additional energy source during infection, which is critical when trying to fight off a bug. In fact you can have as much as three times the total energy available in your blood when you are in deep ketosis, or even more.

It increases mitochondrial function and repairs mitichondrial DNA, leading to improved ATP production and oxygen efficiency and thereby making cells better able to fight off infection. Increased mitochondrial function also has the added benefit of increasing your metabolism and cancer prevention!

Your body releases interferon which is also triggered by the body during viral attacks to shut down the replication ability of the surrounding cells and stop infections.

After 72 hours or more fasted, your body actually recycles large numbers of immune bodies and creates new ones, rejuvenating your entire system.

When you fast, this stimulates apoptosis in senescent or genetically damaged cells. This kills these cells off completely. Senescent cells are responsible for the effects of aging and are the root cause of the development of cancer. If it were possible to destroy them all it would completely stop aging and cancer. That is not possible but fasting can help limit these effects by killing off many of the affected cells and limiting the future effects of aging.

Fasting also releases BDNF and NGF in the blood which stimulates new nerve and brain cell growth, helping a great deal with diseases like MS, peripheral neuropathy and Alzheimers.

Eating one meal a day can bring most of these benefits to a lesser degree, and adding a few entire days off from eating per week will have even more effect especially when starting to feel poorly.

Children, pregnant or nursing women should not fast for periods longer than 16 hours. People with pancreatic tumors or hypoglycemia generally cannot fast at all. Type 1 diabetics can also fast but it is more complicated and should be approached with caution. People with Addison's disease may also be unable to fast depending on severity. If you experience extreme symptoms of some kind, especially dizziness then simply break the fast and seek advice.

Resources:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23876457
https://repository.upenn.edu/cgi/vie...edissertations
https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S...674(19)30849-9
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25686106
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24905167
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10859646
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science...05272806000223
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1413655/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2815756/
https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/...131(15)00224-7
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/25712
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1779438/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10232622
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/81/1/69/4607679
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3017674/

https://europepmc.org/article/MED/22...ipt_support=no
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...5.2005.02288.x
https://www.collective-evolution.com...immune-system/

Wear a mask:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2.pdf
Oneder is offline  
Likes For Oneder:
Old 05-18-20, 10:36 AM
  #4  
DMC707
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 3,748

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder View Post
Start fasting. I lost 80 pounds fasting. I iused to go on longer fasts but now I just eat every other day and I think this has the best results. I have managed to lose over 80 pounds while gaining back lost strength at the same time. It's also great for boosting your immune system and for anti-aging!

Some of the myriad benefits of fasting on the immune system, blood pressure, blood sugar and anti-aging, all evidence based:
Blood pressure is quickly and dramatically lowered, which is very important for a good outcome with the current pandemic.
Blood clotting is reduced and blood clots and arterial plague are absorbed into the body.
Vitamin D plasma levels are increased.
Blood sugar and insulin are lowered, allowing white blood cells to move more freely throughout the body and do their job. Ideal blood sugar is around 80. Some viruses activate glycolosis (the release of sugar in the body) and clinically it has been shown that decreasing glucose metabolism in the body weakens the influenza virus.

The hormone Leptin is an immunomodulator that keeps the body from attacking itself and obesity causes lepti resistance. Fasting very quickly reduces leptin resistance and leptin levels and one day of fasting can cut your leptin levels in half and gets your immune system working properly again!

When you move out of MTOR your body shuts down the building blocks of the cell which are used to produce organelles and proteins. This means the mechanisms needed by viruses to replicate are by and large unavailable when you are in a deeply fasted state.

It stimulates the AMPK complex and activates autophagy. Autophagy (literally self eating) will cause cells to recycle foreign matter such as viruses and kill cancerous and senescent cells. AMPK does many helpful things in the body including activating the body's antioxidant defenses.

Deep ketosis virtually eliminates inflammation in the body. This can offset the life threatening symptoms of viral pneumonia which effectively kills you through inflammation. This also creates BHB ketones in your body, which also help your immune system and anti-oxidative system, especially in the brain. Ketones also provide an additional energy source during infection, which is critical when trying to fight off a bug. In fact you can have as much as three times the total energy available in your blood when you are in deep ketosis, or even more.

It increases mitochondrial function and repairs mitichondrial DNA, leading to improved ATP production and oxygen efficiency and thereby making cells better able to fight off infection. Increased mitochondrial function also has the added benefit of increasing your metabolism and cancer prevention!

Your body releases interferon which is also triggered by the body during viral attacks to shut down the replication ability of the surrounding cells and stop infections.

After 72 hours or more fasted, your body actually recycles large numbers of immune bodies and creates new ones, rejuvenating your entire system.

When you fast, this stimulates apoptosis in senescent or genetically damaged cells. This kills these cells off completely. Senescent cells are responsible for the effects of aging and are the root cause of the development of cancer. If it were possible to destroy them all it would completely stop aging and cancer. That is not possible but fasting can help limit these effects by killing off many of the affected cells and limiting the future effects of aging.

Fasting also releases BDNF and NGF in the blood which stimulates new nerve and brain cell growth, helping a great deal with diseases like MS, peripheral neuropathy and Alzheimers.

Eating one meal a day can bring most of these benefits to a lesser degree, and adding a few entire days off from eating per week will have even more effect especially when starting to feel poorly.

Children, pregnant or nursing women should not fast for periods longer than 16 hours. People with pancreatic tumors or hypoglycemia generally cannot fast at all. Type 1 diabetics can also fast but it is more complicated and should be approached with caution. People with Addison's disease may also be unable to fast depending on severity. If you experience extreme symptoms of some kind, especially dizziness then simply break the fast and seek advice.

Resources:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23876457
https://repository.upenn.edu/cgi/vie...edissertations
https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S...674(19)30849-9
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25686106
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24905167
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10859646
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science...05272806000223
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1413655/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2815756/
https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/...131(15)00224-7
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/25712
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1779438/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10232622
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/81/1/69/4607679
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3017674/

https://europepmc.org/article/MED/22...ipt_support=no
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...5.2005.02288.x
https://www.collective-evolution.com...immune-system/

Wear a mask:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2.pdf


Great information -- thanks !
DMC707 is offline  
Likes For DMC707:
Old 05-19-20, 08:50 AM
  #5  
ArchEtech
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If you're shut in, and or working from home, go for a 30-40 minute walk a couple times a day to break it up. Go for a quick bike ride. I've lost 5 lbs and haven't given up ice cream. Technically I'm barely in the 200lb range, but its taken a long time to get there from sitting at 220-230 as an athlete for 25 years. If you have time and energy to go to the grocery store to get bad food, you have time to burn it off!
ArchEtech is offline  
Old 05-27-20, 09:45 AM
  #6  
oldlady62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I got the Covid 15+5. I think working from home is a lot harder than working from the office. I tried to get out and take walks, but it's not that easy. Add to that I have some cardiac problems. Good think I am retiring on Friday. I can get out of this chair! I'll have to bike at dusk due to the heat and my heart, but need to get rid of that 15+5 soon.

PS, I started 2 hours earlier today to get something done. Now I need to take a shower and a break.
oldlady62 is offline  
Old 05-27-20, 10:13 AM
  #7  
chadtrent
Senior Member
 
chadtrent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 144

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
I will just add this - before you try any major dietary change, please see your doctor first.
chadtrent is offline  
Likes For chadtrent:
Old 05-27-20, 02:10 PM
  #8  
taco2ewsday
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Memphis 10
Posts: 129

Bikes: 2002 Giant Yukon, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 29 Posts
I started great eating healthy lunches going for family walks 2-3x week and now we are in a rut and the pounds are starting to creep back on. going to start taking a 30-45 minute ride in the mornings to keep the body moving.
taco2ewsday is offline  
Old 05-28-20, 11:31 AM
  #9  
DMC707
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 3,748

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by oldlady62 View Post
I got the Covid 15+5. I think working from home is a lot harder than working from the office. I tried to get out and take walks, but it's not that easy. Add to that I have some cardiac problems. Good think I am retiring on Friday. I can get out of this chair! I'll have to bike at dusk due to the heat and my heart, but need to get rid of that 15+5 soon.

PS, I started 2 hours earlier today to get something done. Now I need to take a shower and a break.

im pulling for you!!
DMC707 is offline  
Old 05-29-20, 10:13 AM
  #10  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 26,901
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11361 Post(s)
Liked 2,987 Times in 1,665 Posts
Iím working from home. Been to one of my offices maybe 3 times since 3/17. Eating pretty much the same diet, which includes cooking dinners with fresh ingredients.

What has tailed off is my exercise. Normally, I would be walking or riding 2 miles to my regular office each day. I try to take walks, even if only to shop, but itís not the same. Crappy weather has also played a role. But I think the most important factor is a lack of motivation. I was scheduled to head to MT on June 13th for a two-week tour that would have included a couple of days in ID. Thatís been canceled, and itís not yet possible to tour locally because state park campgrounds in the area are still closed. Little motivation to train for trips like that.

I did get out of town a couple of Saturdays for day rides on a trail in the mountains. This weekend looks promising, so Iíve promised myself rides on both days. One will even have a few hills.😀
indyfabz is online now  
Old 05-31-20, 10:07 AM
  #11  
DMC707
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 3,748

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Iím working from home. Been to one of my offices maybe 3 times since 3/17. Eating pretty much the same diet, which includes cooking dinners with fresh ingredients.

What has tailed off is my exercise. Normally, I would be walking or riding 2 miles to my regular office each day. I try to take walks, even if only to shop, but itís not the same. Crappy weather has also played a role. But I think the most important factor is a lack of motivation. I was scheduled to head to MT on June 13th for a two-week tour that would have included a couple of days in ID. Thatís been canceled, and itís not yet possible to tour locally because state park campgrounds in the area are still closed. Little motivation to train for trips like that.

I did get out of town a couple of Saturdays for day rides on a trail in the mountains. This weekend looks promising, so Iíve promised myself rides on both days. One will even have a few hills.😀


motivation --- the big M. Been elusive for me lately

i hope your rides go well !
DMC707 is offline  
Old 06-01-20, 10:01 AM
  #12  
SethAZ 
Senior Member
 
SethAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,394

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707 View Post
Btw - I cannot blame this event on being shut in or staying at home and eating weird food. I'm considered an essential worker

I had gotten accustomed to weighing myself every day and this was a tool that told me when I needed to back off a bit

the absence of that simple scale for a couple months plus my generally poor discipline with beer lately did me in
I can relate. I'm about to go weigh myself for the first time in a couple of months. I think my subconscious used avoiding the scale as a way to shirk self-accountability for some of the poor choices I made at times during the quarantine. When I weigh myself and see the progress I'm making I feel really encouraged not to waste it, or I see the weight getting higher and have to face the music and realize that I'm screwing up. In the early weeks of the quarantine I made horrible choices mostly related to buying and eating bread, but also some beer and snacks. These were things that I'd been avoiding for a long time, then all of a sudden during the quarantine we stocked up on items I hadn't bought in months, then promptly went home and started eating it. The discipline was right out the window. I could see myself doing it, too, and just simply ignored the internal pleas for self-restraint.

Anyhow yeah, I'm going to go weigh myself and face up to what damage I did over the last couple of months. I already rebounded nicely in May in terms of my exercise, and though I had my lapses in eating during May my restraint was far better than it was in April, so I've got quite a bit of recent success to build on. Getting back to the regular private weigh-ins will just help strengthen and organize the efforts.
SethAZ is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 11:49 AM
  #13  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 10,399

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4054 Post(s)
Liked 1,029 Times in 658 Posts
Since working from home, I have lost 13# and a bunch of co-workers have also lost.
It certainly hasnt all been a gain for everyone who works from home, though i know some who have and understand why.

Its interesting how a change in venue affects people in different ways. I dont eat as much(any, really) fast food now and am more active thru the day with dog walks during lunch for example.
And while I ride as frequently as I did in prior years during these last few months, the distance is down.
mstateglfr is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.