Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can you trick the Di2 program?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-15-20, 12:01 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts

In order to take advantage of the wider clearance available on the new Domane frame, I added a new set of wheels and 40mm gravel tires that I'm running tubeless. I'm very much enjoying the expanded terrain options.

The cassette on the new wheels matches exactly the cassette on the road wheels, including the 30t cog that is rated as the max for the electronic DA derailleur. Although it might be nice to have an even easier gear when the bike is set up with the big tires, I was (am) concerned that: 1. I would need to reprogram the bike every time I changed wheels; 2. Because the software recognizes the DA rear derailleur, it won't let me program in a bigger than 30t cog.

Any thoughts on the issue?
Old 06-15-20, 12:07 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I think the cog size doesn't matter as long as you stick to manual shifting. Are you asking if you can still get synchro or semi-synchro with unsupported gear ranges?
Old 06-15-20, 02:03 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
It'a a one-handed setup so full synchro.
Old 06-15-20, 02:37 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,317 Times in 671 Posts
I have a similar setup with Dura-Ace 11-30 Cassette on one set of wheels and an Ultegra 11-32 on the other. It all works perfectly with the exception the display on my Garmin does not show the 11-32 option as it is not Shimano approved. I have now put an Ultegra GS Cage on my Dura-Ace derailleur and will be running an 11-34 for those really long days on the bike.
Old 06-15-20, 02:45 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
I have a similar setup with Dura-Ace 11-30 Cassette on one set of wheels and an Ultegra 11-32 on the other. It all works perfectly with the exception the display on my Garmin does not show the 11-32 option as it is not Shimano approved. I have now put an Ultegra GS Cage on my Dura-Ace derailleur and will be running an 11-34 for those really long days on the bike.
With my Edge 830 you can change the gear read out from auto to manual and enter the exact ratios you have. I think you could run auto with the 30T cassette and switch it to manual for the 32/34T. Not sure it would remember the manual ratios you had entered between wheel swaps but worth a shot.

Last edited by August West; 06-15-20 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-15-20, 02:54 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
The only thing that the gear-selection in Di2 effects is the gear-ratio and cog readouts. It doesn't directly alter how the derailleurs function.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 06-15-20, 02:59 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by tigat
In order to take advantage of the wider clearance available on the new Domane frame, I added a new set of wheels and 40mm gravel tires that I'm running tubeless. I'm very much enjoying the expanded terrain options.

The cassette on the new wheels matches exactly the cassette on the road wheels, including the 30t cog that is rated as the max for the electronic DA derailleur. Although it might be nice to have an even easier gear when the bike is set up with the big tires, I was (am) concerned that: 1. I would need to reprogram the bike every time I changed wheels; 2. Because the software recognizes the DA rear derailleur, it won't let me program in a bigger than 30t cog.

Any thoughts on the issue?
You can program the shift pattern however you would like. The RD doesn't know what cassette is really on there but you would need to chart out the shifts that work for you. If you ended up with a different pattern between the two wheelsets you can save each one in the etube app and recall them when you swap.

Did they install a D-fly wireless module on your bike? https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ.../EW-WU111.html? If not, it is pretty easy to add on and will allow you to change the programs on your phone app instead of having to drag out the laptop every time you want to use the etube software. Well worth the money IMHO.
Likes For August West:
Old 06-16-20, 10:52 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
I think the stated max cog is smaller than the 'real world' max cog limit. It just frees them from liability should anything happen. Folks used the non shadow RD's with 34 rear cassettes even though the limit was like 30 or 32.
Likes For ridethecliche: