Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Be careful of your Hollowtech tool

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-25-20, 10:15 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts

When I installed my first Hollowtech BB, I needed to buy the tool. Mind you, I despise buying such specialized tools, but it seems most new tech requires them now. I shopped around trying to find a bargain and ended up buying:

This worked fine, until I bought a bike with center lock disc brakes. They use the same locking mechanism and thought no problem when it's time to change rotors.
Well the day came, ordered the rotors and when they arrived, guess what. The tool did not work because the wheel axle protruded to far out for the tool to reach the notches.
So needed to buy:

Have I told you how much I despise new tech?
Old 06-26-20, 01:21 AM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
My all time favorite specialty tool is my Maillard Helicomatic lockring tool. I got it for free from a LBS. For the unfamiliar, it also has a spoke wrench, and a bottle opener I have never used.
Old 06-26-20, 01:47 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
The Hollowtech compression bolt is supposed to be only 2 Nm tight so you could even 3d print the tool under 15 minutes.
If only the 5mm QR skewer is sticking out, you could probably just drill a 6mm hole through the center of the plastic tool.
Old 06-26-20, 05:43 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
This might have been a better choice initially. I love HT II, FWIW.

Old 06-26-20, 07:54 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
When I got my first HTII crank and bottom bracket, I also bought the Shimano TL-FC16 which sells for $3 to $4 most places. It's a single purpose plastic "wrench" that is perfectly adequate since the required preload torque on the NDS crank arm bolt is only about 1 Nm and finger tight is plenty. In fact, it's made not to accept any type of wrench to prevent overtightening.

BTW, that TL-FC32 is also the installation/removal tool for HTII bottom bracket external bearing cups so it does double duty unlike your IceToolz.
Old 06-26-20, 09:30 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
The Hollowtech compression bolt is supposed to be only 2 Nm tight so you could even 3d print the tool under 15 minutes.
If only the 5mm QR skewer is sticking out, you could probably just drill a 6mm hole through the center of the plastic tool.
It's not the skewer it's the thru axle, not the removable part but the part of the center hub.
The center lock for the rotor is 40N. Don't think plastic can handle that.
Old 06-26-20, 09:41 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
It's not the $2 plastic thing. It is the bottom-bracket tool, which is also used to tighten the lock-ring for the disc brake rotor.