Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

French Threaded pedals

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

French Threaded pedals

Old 06-29-20, 01:28 PM
  #1  
hwheel72 
Steele is Real
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 75

Bikes: 86 De Rosa Pro, 80 Centurion Semi Pro, 79 Trek 930, 76 Fuji Newest, 72 Nishiki Professional, 71 Peugeot PX-10, 58 Claud Butler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
French Threaded pedals

I'm looking to find some good french alternative pedals perhaps. I realize I can use an English Tap to scale up to the standards but just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for my Stronglight 93? I really dont want to mess with the crank as it's original to the bike and in excellent condition. I would like to keep it true.

Thanks for any help..
hwheel72 is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 01:34 PM
  #2  
noobinsf 
Senior Member
 
noobinsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 1,895

Bikes: CURRENT: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '74 Campania Professional, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '91 Univega Alpina Comp PAST: '72 Puch Bergmeister, '72ish Peugeot UO-8, '86 Univega Gran Premio, '85 Univega Viva Touring

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 197 Posts
Ebay France always has an abundance of listings, or Ebay US. You can search for things like "french thread pedals" or "pedales 14 1.25," (with and without decimal, denoting the thread pitch).
noobinsf is offline  
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 06-29-20, 03:17 PM
  #3  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 8,842

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 428 Posts
Without knowing anything about the bike, or your prefrences, I'd suggest to look for the Lyotard 460D. Very nice and very versatile pedals.
__________________
Peace!
non-fixie is offline  
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 06-29-20, 04:31 PM
  #4  
hwheel72 
Steele is Real
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 75

Bikes: 86 De Rosa Pro, 80 Centurion Semi Pro, 79 Trek 930, 76 Fuji Newest, 72 Nishiki Professional, 71 Peugeot PX-10, 58 Claud Butler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the replies all. It's a '71 PX-10 that is about 90% original in really nice condition. I'll take a look at those pedals on velobase.

Cheers!
hwheel72 is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 05:55 PM
  #5  
jonwvara 
Senior Member
 
jonwvara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Washington County, Vermont, USA
Posts: 3,162

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
Without knowing anything about the bike, or your prefrences, I'd suggest to look for the Lyotard 460D. Very nice and very versatile pedals.
Agreed. I've been riding on the same pair since 1970. For some reason I don't begin to understand, it's easier to get your foot in and out of them (when using clips) than any other pedals I have used.

I also don't like retapping cranks. I have several bikes with Stronglight 93 cranks, some of which are French threaded, and some English.
__________________
www.redclovercomponents.com

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
jonwvara is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 07:08 PM
  #6  
bertinjim 
Senior Member
 
bertinjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Region, Canada
Posts: 1,182

Bikes: 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1970s Carlton Kermesse, 1982 Peugeot PB 12

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
hwheel72-

Try Lyotard 45 CAs. They are light, pretty and easy to rebuild/service.
bertinjim is offline  
Likes For bertinjim:
Old 06-30-20, 06:56 AM
  #7  
oneclick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 94 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by hwheel72 View Post
I'm looking to find some good french alternative pedals perhaps. I realize I can use an English Tap to scale up to the standards but just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for my Stronglight 93? I really dont want to mess with the crank as it's original to the bike and in excellent condition. I would like to keep it true.

Thanks for any help..
I'd avoid any Lyotard with a built-up central barrel - the ones with a separate tube between the two cups. Those always get bent and/or the bearings get mis-adjusted. As well, Lyotards with a (supposedly) welded mid-barrel support strut often have had that weld break (so often that I wonder if it was just the plating that was supposed to hold them in place).

I'd also avoid any without specific holes (or slots like the Atom 440s). I would be wary of any of the Atoms, nice though they may look; some of the 600's were not rebuildable, and they often needed it; the cones are too thin near the edge of the race and bits break off. I haven't checked a set of 440s to see if they have the same cones.
oneclick is offline  
Likes For oneclick:
Old 06-30-20, 07:03 AM
  #8  
hwheel72 
Steele is Real
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 75

Bikes: 86 De Rosa Pro, 80 Centurion Semi Pro, 79 Trek 930, 76 Fuji Newest, 72 Nishiki Professional, 71 Peugeot PX-10, 58 Claud Butler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick View Post
I'd avoid any Lyotard with a built-up central barrel - the ones with a separate tube between the two cups. Those always get bent and/or the bearings get mis-adjusted. As well, Lyotards with a (supposedly) welded mid-barrel support strut often have had that weld break (so often that I wonder if it was just the plating that was supposed to hold them in place).

I'd also avoid any without specific holes (or slots like the Atom 440s). I would be wary of any of the Atoms, nice though they may look; some of the 600's were not rebuildable, and they often needed it; the cones are too thin near the edge of the race and bits break off. I haven't checked a set of 440s to see if they have the same cones.
Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye out for any faults. I think I'll be limited for french threaded options, however. From what I've researched there isn't too much out there.
hwheel72 is offline  
Old 06-30-20, 12:45 PM
  #9  
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 18,754

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17974 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 1,206 Posts
.
...may I ask, without getting into too much drama, why the guys who don't want to retap standard are so averse to doing so ? I have wide feet, and were it not for retapping the French cranks I ride, I would not be riding them much. The availability of some very well made MKS pedals that are visually similar to some of the old French standards has helped me in this.

But it's not like anyone can see the size of the hole or the pedal threading in your crank arm. And retapping them just makes my life so much easier.

Again, no judgement from me about "all original". But is that the only reason ? I can't think of another.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 06-30-20, 02:02 PM
  #10  
scarlson
Senior Member
 
scarlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Medford MA
Posts: 807

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 233 Posts
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the venerable Lyotard Berthet pedals. These are still available somewhat affordably in spite of the current craze over old French things. They're easy to flip and good for wide feet and flexy shoes.
scarlson is offline  
Likes For scarlson:
Old 06-30-20, 02:25 PM
  #11  
hwheel72 
Steele is Real
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 75

Bikes: 86 De Rosa Pro, 80 Centurion Semi Pro, 79 Trek 930, 76 Fuji Newest, 72 Nishiki Professional, 71 Peugeot PX-10, 58 Claud Butler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
.
...may I ask, without getting into too much drama, why the guys who don't want to retap standard are so averse to doing so ? I have wide feet, and were it not for retapping the French cranks I ride, I would not be riding them much. The availability of some very well made MKS pedals that are visually similar to some of the old French standards has helped me in this.

But it's not like anyone can see the size of the hole or the pedal threading in your crank arm. And retapping them just makes my life so much easier.

Again, no judgement from me about "all original". But is that the only reason ? I can't think of another.
Keeping them as original as possible is my main reason. The crank is in pristine condition and would like to keep it that way if I can.
hwheel72 is offline  
Old 06-30-20, 02:25 PM
  #12  
hwheel72 
Steele is Real
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 75

Bikes: 86 De Rosa Pro, 80 Centurion Semi Pro, 79 Trek 930, 76 Fuji Newest, 72 Nishiki Professional, 71 Peugeot PX-10, 58 Claud Butler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson View Post
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the venerable Lyotard Berthet pedals. These are still available somewhat affordably in spite of the current craze over old French things. They're easy to flip and good for wide feet and flexy shoes.
I will take a look at them. Thanks !
hwheel72 is offline  
Old 06-30-20, 02:33 PM
  #13  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 8,842

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
.
...may I ask, without getting into too much drama, why the guys who don't want to retap standard are so averse to doing so ? I have wide feet, and were it not for retapping the French cranks I ride, I would not be riding them much. The availability of some very well made MKS pedals that are visually similar to some of the old French standards has helped me in this.

But it's not like anyone can see the size of the hole or the pedal threading in your crank arm. And retapping them just makes my life so much easier.

Again, no judgement from me about "all original". But is that the only reason ? I can't think of another.
Because, where else am I going to put my French-threaded pedals?
__________________
Peace!
non-fixie is offline  
Old 06-30-20, 02:58 PM
  #14  
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 18,754

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17974 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson View Post
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the venerable Lyotard Berthet pedals. These are still available somewhat affordably in spite of the current craze over old French things. They're easy to flip and good for wide feet and flexy shoes.



...I can buy these online for about 50 bucks a pair, and IMO they are better constructed pedals. Just my opinion.
I just came in from rethreading a French bike cottered crank to do that, which is why it comes to mind.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 06-30-20, 02:59 PM
  #15  
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 18,754

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17974 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
Because, where else am I going to put my French-threaded pedals?
...I have a junk box filled with them. So you can't give them to me.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 06-30-20, 03:20 PM
  #16  
hwheel72 
Steele is Real
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 75

Bikes: 86 De Rosa Pro, 80 Centurion Semi Pro, 79 Trek 930, 76 Fuji Newest, 72 Nishiki Professional, 71 Peugeot PX-10, 58 Claud Butler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post



...I can buy these online for about 50 bucks a pair, and IMO they are better constructed pedals. Just my opinion.
I just came in from rethreading a French bike cottered crank to do that, which is why it comes to mind.
I wish they made those with French threads..
hwheel72 is offline  
Likes For hwheel72:
Old 06-30-20, 04:03 PM
  #17  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 5,937

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 489 Posts
Originally Posted by hwheel72 View Post
I wish they made those with French threads..
I generally have no problem rethreading the French cranks but I have a PX-10 that is in pretty rough shape that had some standard pedals jammed in and I wanted it to stay original.

Got them out, got some French pedals for donor spindles, made chasers, fixed that, got some French Campy spindles for this, then made chasers out of the standard Campy spindles since I find Campy's to be very tight in some cranks.

BB was the same, crossthreaded, very bunged up with neither side original Stronglight threading in all the way, chased and fixed that too so all good, still French and will live on.


merziac is offline  
Old 06-30-20, 07:06 PM
  #18  
scarlson
Senior Member
 
scarlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Medford MA
Posts: 807

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...I can buy these online for about 50 bucks a pair, and IMO they are better constructed pedals. Just my opinion.
I just came in from rethreading a French bike cottered crank to do that, which is why it comes to mind.
Yeah, the Berthet is one of the most knocked-off pedals in history! I have a pair of SR SP-11 on my Ron Cooper, but I really wish I could afford the White Industries Berthet knockoff.
scarlson is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.