Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Too-small commuter bike

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Too-small commuter bike

Old 07-02-20, 10:08 AM
njlonghorn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Too-small commuter bike

HI all!

My son is in grad school, and wants a bike to get to campus from his off-campus apartment. The commute is less than 2 miles each way, mostly flat, in a busy urban setting. He'll also use the bike to run errands.

Once I replace the cables, brake pads, and chain, his old bike will be in good shape. Unfortunately, he got it when he was around 5' 7", and he's now 6' 1". I will get him a longer seat tube so his knees don't hit his chin. Is there anything I need to do to make the bike usable? How critical is a longer stem?

Please keep in mind that aerodynamics is of absolutely no concern. If he ever gets it above 10-12 mph, I'll be surprised. I'm mostly concerned about safety, and to a lesser degree comfort.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-20, 10:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
With College Campuses being a hot bed for bike theft * .. get really good locks to secure the bike to something solid.. both wheels and the frame

maybe a cheap beach cruiser or one of those Walmart fixies will do better be no great loss or replacement will be cheap.

*nothing really has changed since my University years in the 70's...

My 6'3" dad finally got on a bicycle later in life , he put ape-hanger bars on his.. he was a Motorbike guy after WW2 ..
(competing in hill climbs not the Hell's Angels type)

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-02-20 at 10:25 AM.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-02-20, 10:46 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by njlonghorn
HI all!

My son is in grad school, and wants a bike to get to campus from his off-campus apartment. The commute is less than 2 miles each way, mostly flat, in a busy urban setting. He'll also use the bike to run errands.

Once I replace the cables, brake pads, and chain, his old bike will be in good shape. Unfortunately, he got it when he was around 5' 7", and he's now 6' 1". I will get him a longer seat tube so his knees don't hit his chin. Is there anything I need to do to make the bike usable? How critical is a longer stem?

Please keep in mind that aerodynamics is of absolutely no concern. If he ever gets it above 10-12 mph, I'll be surprised. I'm mostly concerned about safety, and to a lesser degree comfort.
One reason to consider a longer stem is if his knees hit the handlebars with the current one. If it's a quill stem, a longer quill will allow him to raise the bars and be a bit more upright. If it's a threadless steerer type, an up-angled stem will do the same thing.
Old 07-02-20, 10:53 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
For campus, get a $70 xmart bike.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 07-02-20, 11:10 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Graduating students abandon bikes. campus security cuts the locks, then sells the bikes.. get one of those?
Old 07-02-20, 11:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Get a inexpensive bike that is the right size for cheap. Go over it with a fine tooth comb and make sure it's properly put together. For a beater bike at college with short commutes, that's all that is needed.

If he will also be doing longer rides for fitness or enjoyment, then that's another story and another bike. So he can be N+1 at the start of his college. One bike to use for going to class and can be locked up outside. The other to keep in his dorm room and never take his eyes off of when out for long rides.
Old 07-02-20, 11:42 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Get a inexpensive bike that is the right size for cheap. Go over it with a fine tooth comb and make sure it's properly put together. For a beater bike at college with short commutes, that's all that is needed.

If he will also be doing longer rides for fitness or enjoyment, then that's another story and another bike. So he can be N+1 at the start of his college. One bike to use for going to class and can be locked up outside. The other to keep in his dorm room and never take his eyes off of when out for long rides.
+1 No matter what you do a too-small bike is always going to be too small.
Edit: For about what you will spend on a seat post, stem, new cables, etc. you should be able to get a properly-fitting bike on Craigslist, etc.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 07-02-20, 01:36 PM
Mir3886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Craigslist or Facebook market place for something cheap. Another thing you can’t fix on a small bike is toe overlap with the front wheel when turning.
Old 07-03-20, 08:08 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Perhaps a frame swap, a bare frame from Craigslist could do.