Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How about the Schwinn GTX-2 Hybrid 700c and CCM slope hardtail mountain bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 06:18 AM
Hupearl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I知 looking for a bike for my daughter. She will ride mostly in the city road, but I hope the bike will also be good on the parc trail. So far there are not so much choice in the market. In Canadian tire, there are two models available : Schwinn GTX-2 hybrid 700c and CCM slope hardtail mountain bike. Both are the same price, around 600 Canadian dollars. Please tell me which one is better? Or any else recommendations? Thank you.
Old 07-09-20, 07:13 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Hupearl
I知 looking for a bike for my daughter. She will ride mostly in the city road, but I hope the bike will also be good on the parc trail. So far there are not so much choice in the market. In Canadian tire, there are two models available : Schwinn GTX-2 hybrid 700c and CCM slope hardtail mountain bike. Both are the same price, around 600 Canadian dollars. Please tell me which one is better? Or any else recommendations? Thank you.
Personally my opinion is in both cases the word "good" doesn't apply to either bike but if the choice is between those two and nothing else I would without hesitation go with the GTX-2 being the better of two bad choices. Of course this is my opinion based on no real experience with either bike but they are both department store bikes.
Old 07-09-20, 07:42 AM
Hupearl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
Personally my opinion is in both cases the word "good" doesn't apply to either bike but if the choice is between those two and nothing else I would without hesitation go with the GTX-2 being the better of two bad choices. Of course this is my opinion based on no real experience with either bike but they are both department store bikes.
Thank you very much. My daughter is not a bicyclist enthusiast, and does稚 ride much. So I知 looking for an entry bike for her with the similar budget. Do you have other model recommendation? Thank you!
Old 07-09-20, 08:04 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

I really don't have any suggestions. I prefer myself something by TREK or Giant but that is probably outside of the budget. The Hydrid is more appealing as usually they come with less agressive tires compared to true mountain bikes and gearing more approprate for general use trails and the street. My daughter who is now 25 has a Raleigh M-20 which we bought her 16 years ago. This bike is comparable to the Schwinn under consideration. For as little as she rides it it is ok. I have replaced the knobby tires with street and replaced the brake pads not due to wear but due to dry rot. On any of these the front shocks are almost of no use and a rear suspension should be avoided all together. Disk brakes are probably not a positive as they are very low end disk but that is what the market demands these days. It used to be simple no more.
Old 07-09-20, 08:19 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

As an aside, most of us here are deep into bikes and for that budget would rather get something used but that requires knowledge to do properly and of course no warranty. It is possible that someone might respond here with something in total opposition to what I have stated as opinions do vary. Sometimes you can get a really good deal on a good used bike at a bike co-op if there is one close to you. Sometimes a bike store has used bikes also. In general a purchase from a bike store, while more expensive, yields a more satisfying bicycle experience over a department store purchase. These days buying bikes at the lower cost point is difficult as there is a current buying frenzy on this variety of bike.
Old 07-09-20, 08:58 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Where in Canada do you live? Personally, Canadian tire is a poor choice for buying bikes. A bike shop near where I live used to do a booming business doing adjustments to brand new Canadian tire bikes. I have seen bikes still with the store tags being brought in to be tuned up to be rideable. Is there a Decathlon or a MEC near you? both are far better choices for new bikes. You should be able to find something for $600

Last edited by alcjphil; 07-09-20 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-09-20, 06:42 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Where in Canada do you live? Personally, Canadian tire is a poor choice for buying bikes. A bike shop near where I live used to do a booming business doing adjustments to brand new Canadian tire bikes. I have seen bikes still with the store tags being brought in to be tuned up to be rideable. Is there a Decathlon or a MEC near you? bothe are far better choices for new bikes. You should be able to find something for $600
I was told by a Canadian Tire manager at a store near me that a lkot of their bikes are assembled out of the store. I've watched some of that store's employees bring out a bike and put it on the floor for sale and shuddered at the sloppy assembly. I've seen brakes that aren't centered, stems that are up beyond the minimum insertion mark and many other errors of assembly. I've seen a customer bring a bike in for a quick adjustment and get told it's take a week or so. Many times I've done the adjustment for that customer outside because I had the tools in my pannier or seat bag.

What gets me now about Canadian tire is that many of their bike are the same price as a decent bike from a bike shop. I guess people simply don't compare the prices.

Cheers
Old 07-09-20, 06:45 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by Hupearl
For that kind of money I'd check out your local bicycle shop if there's one anywhere near you. Assembly will be far better and you'll get a least one free adjustment session after about 30 days. Then you have better support service by QUALIFIED bicycle personnel.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-09-20, 09:16 PM
Hupearl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
As an aside, most of us here are deep into bikes and for that budget would rather get something used but that requires knowledge to do properly and of course no warranty. It is possible that someone might respond here with something in total opposition to what I have stated as opinions do vary. Sometimes you can get a really good deal on a good used bike at a bike co-op if there is one close to you. Sometimes a bike store has used bikes also. In general a purchase from a bike store, while more expensive, yields a more satisfying bicycle experience over a department store purchase. These days buying bikes at the lower cost point is difficult as there is a current buying frenzy on this variety of bike.
Thnak you for your information.
Old 07-09-20, 09:19 PM
Hupearl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=alcjphil;21577848]Where in Canada do you live? Personally, Canadian tire is a poor choice for buying bikes. A bike shop near where I live used to do a booming business doing adjustments to brand new Canadian tire bikes. I have seen bikes still with the store tags being brought in to be tuned up to be rideable. Is there a Decathlon or a MEC near you? both are far better choices for new bikes. You should be able to find something for $600[/QUOT

I live in Montreal. I looked through the bikes in MEC, it痴 much more expensive. I値l think about it, Thank you.
Old 07-09-20, 09:21 PM
Hupearl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
For that kind of money I'd check out your local bicycle shop if there's one anywhere near you. Assembly will be far better and you'll get a least one free adjustment session after about 30 days. Then you have better support service by QUALIFIED bicycle personnel.

Cheers
Thank you. I will check the bicycle shop nearby.
Old 07-09-20, 10:00 PM
Miele Man

[QUOTE=Hupearl;21579151]
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Where in Canada do you live? Personally, Canadian tire is a poor choice for buying bikes. A bike shop near where I live used to do a booming business doing adjustments to brand new Canadian tire bikes. I have seen bikes still with the store tags being brought in to be tuned up to be rideable. Is there a Decathlon or a MEC near you? both are far better choices for new bikes. You should be able to find something for $600[/QUOT

I live in Montreal. I looked through the bikes in MEC, it痴 much more expensive. I値l think about it, Thank you.
I'm in South Central Ontario, Canada. I've visited a couple of MEC stores the last few years and also looked at their website. To me it looks like MEC has abandoned their original business statement and are moving to more expensive higher products in a lot of areas especially bicycling - bicycles, components and accessories. At least that's been my experience.

Cheers