Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Considering Trek Y-26

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Considering Trek Y-26

Old 03-18-06, 03:01 AM
CrashVector
Banned.

Bikes: Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale Super-V DH, Cannondale Super-V Raven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Considering Trek Y-26

Last edited by CrashVector; 05-28-06 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-18-06, 03:24 AM
tom987987
Colonel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
STAY AWAY from this bike! It is basically a joke...a fake dualie. I would never trust a dualie for under one grand. Now, for $500 there are many quality bikes out there such as a basic Rockhopper. Also, where have you heard good news about the Y26 frame?
Old 03-18-06, 03:33 AM
CrashVector
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a ratings site that I saw...it was a 4.25 out of 5 based on 140-somthing ratings.

I realize its not a 'true' hardcore bike...but I'm not a true hardcore biker anymore either.

Getting old and fat is a pain..lol! (i'm 30)

I appreciate the quick response, by the way.

I want a full-suspension rig that won't break the bank if possible. Something I can take out on the weekends and take out some frustrations on.

Recommendations?
Old 03-18-06, 03:38 AM
CrashVector
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OOPS! I forgot to add this:

I am limited to bikes made by Klein, Trek, Gary Fisher, Felt, Merlin, and Giant. This is because the only bike dealer around here only deals in these brands.
Old 03-18-06, 03:44 AM
tom987987
Colonel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha, 30 is still quite young in my books. As for the bike situation, the Y26 is a toy. I have no personal experience with it, but the consensus of this forum is that this bike is no good. There are really no suggestions for a full suspension rig at $500. Maybe a used bike? I'm not sure how much you are considering a hardtail, but I highly recommend a Rockhopper. It fits your budget and is a very good bike...FAR much superior than the Y26.
Old 03-18-06, 03:52 AM
tom987987
Colonel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are many excellant hardtails comparable to the Rockhopper made by Trek, Giant, and all those other companies you stated above. I just mentioned Rockhopper because they are the best value in my opinion.
Old 03-18-06, 03:54 AM
CrashVector
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, I figured as much.

Wife put me on a budget because she knows I'll go right back to the local Cannondale dealer and spend $3500 for a new bike if she lets me..haha

I wasn't considering a hardtail because I will also do some light riding and wanted the dualie for comfort.

I could spend about $800 max without having to sleep on the sofa for a few nights....if that opens up any more possibilities. I'll still get the cold shoulder...but at least I'll be able to sleep in a bed.
Old 03-18-06, 04:03 AM
tom987987
Colonel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
would an extra 200 or so result in one night on the sofa? If that's the case, one night doesn't seem too bad haha. But anyways, for $800, I think it might be a good idea to check out some used bikes.
Old 03-18-06, 04:05 AM
CrashVector
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me ask you this:

For $1000, what full-suspension bikes out of the brands I have to choose from would you recommend?

And yeah, $1000 would earn me a week on the sofa at least..lmao
Old 03-18-06, 04:15 AM
tom987987
Colonel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Fuel 70 and Giant Pistol. Both are good in that they come from reputable companies. Remember, these are "entry-level" bikes for the dual suspension category; however, they are at least REAL dualies unlike the Y-26.
Old 03-18-06, 06:27 AM
Tag1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree with the above poster...my LBS was going to sell me a 2004 Trek Fuel 70 for $700+tax which is an awesome deal. I decided to go with a hardtail, but the deals can be found for a decent bike.
Old 03-18-06, 07:43 AM
Flak
Flatland hack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I honestly think a used bike is the way to go. You used to ride, have experience with quality already, and seem handy when it comes to repairs etc, so you could probably diagnose any potential problems in a used bike well enough to make a safe buy. Go to www.craigslist.com and see whats listed in your area, and ofcourse there's always ebay and local classifieds. There are some good deals to be had for the $500-$800 range if you look and are patient.

If you want new, i looked at a pistol briefly, and it looked good, but i prefer hardtails.
Old 03-18-06, 07:47 AM
JR_Sith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tom is right the pistol 1 or 2 ($1100 and $800) and the fuel 70 ($1000) would be your best bet. Keep in mind that none of these bikes will be able to take 5-10 drops like you want. If your serious about the drops you have no choice, but to go with a hardtail or spend a significant amount of money.
The Y-26 is not much better than something you would buy at walmart. It has the same weak Y-frame and components. Chances are that the Y-26 is not even made by trek. They pobably outsource it to some of those walmart brand bike companies.
Old 03-18-06, 11:06 AM
us1241
bitten by the bug

Bikes: Yeti 575

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another aspect is the Y-26 only has an InSync Grind 2, 70mm travel fork. Not much travel and I doubt it would hold up to any drops like you posted you want to do. It might be an ok bike for around town, but not any abuse you might throw at it. Check out classifieds at mtbr.com for a decent full suspension used.
Old 03-18-06, 11:16 AM
mcoine

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrashVector
yeah, I figured as much.

Wife put me on a budget because she knows I'll go right back to the local Cannondale dealer and spend $3500 for a new bike if she lets me..haha

I wasn't considering a hardtail because I will also do some light riding and wanted the dualie for comfort.

I could spend about $800 max without having to sleep on the sofa for a few nights....if that opens up any more possibilities. I'll still get the cold shoulder...but at least I'll be able to sleep in a bed.

Its much easier to get forgiveness than permission. Do not buy a y26. For $800 you could get a real nice used fs bike.
Old 03-18-06, 09:50 PM
CrashVector
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to go look at the Giant Pistol bikes on Monday
Old 03-18-06, 09:58 PM
MattP.
Obeying Gravity

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrashVector
5-10ft drops
On a Y 26? You pulling our legs?

But in all serious, if you are deadset on a dualie, don't drop below $1000 give or take.
Old 03-18-06, 10:56 PM
Feltup
Pain Cleanseth

Bikes: On*One Imbred (commuter), Specialized Rockcombo(commuter)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get a hardtail. You probably won't ride much anyways because of your poor attitude. You keep talking about being old(I'm 31). I ride with a bunch of 20-28 year olds and I lead the pack. I do it on a hardtail SS. Get over it and get a new mind-set. You need it more than a bike.
Old 03-19-06, 12:31 AM
CrashVector
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5-10ft is nothing compared to what I used to pull on my old Super-V. Of course, I broke a few body parts when things went wrong (only happened 3X)

I'm probably degrading myself a bit much....it's only been about 5 years or so since I was pretty hardcore about biking.

I'm just worried the cigarette habit (which has been kicked completely) has ruined my lungs. That, and the fact I've been a working stiff for the past 5 years.

i'm sure that once I have a bike that I am happy with, a new set of gear, and a nice downhill singletrack in my face, it'll all come back to me ..lol

BREC park in Baton Rouge has some really cool trails. I used to train on the Goat Climb track as well as the DH track....although I think they closed the DH trail because of a fatality.

at one section, it was a 45 ft, 45degree downhill slope (as marked anyhow) that eneded in a metal grating, then back up a 45degree 45 foot slope on the other side. It was my favorite section of the course. The problem (if I'm not mistaken) was that underneath that metal grate was about a 20 foot ravine. I think somebody came down the slope after a hard rain and the grating gave way.

Anyhoo, I digress....my point was that BREC has some pretty insane courses....and I'm more than sure I'll get my mojo back once I get on a trail.
Old 06-22-20, 02:22 PM
ArmstrongSr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Parts for Y26

I bought my daughter a Y26 used as a entry into mountain trail bike...I’m looking for help on parts...encap on suspension fork end caps..one is missing...water bottle holder (recommendation), and lastly a kickstand (recommendation). Thank you
Old 06-22-20, 02:27 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 2,908 Times in 1,472 Posts
sub 1000$ full suspension/

used Santa cruz Heckler,plenty out there,quality ride.https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...ler&category=2