Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Spin classes

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Spin classes

Old 12-08-15, 11:54 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Spin classes

Talked to an old cycling buddy. He asked if I was interested in spin classes at a nearby gym. Fortunately for me, I'm working during the times that he spins.
Course, now that he's mentioned it, I'm going to have to check on available times. Dammit!
Old 12-08-15, 12:22 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Talked to an old cycling buddy. He asked if I was interested in spin classes at a nearby gym. Fortunately for me, I'm working during the times that he spins.
Course, now that he's mentioned it, I'm going to have to check on available times. Dammit!
I got talked into trying a spin class once. It was my first and last spin class. For me, it was a death sentence. I hated it.
Old 12-08-15, 12:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
It's not so bad. And if you sit in the back, the view can be pretty nice.
Old 12-08-15, 12:27 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
I got talked into trying a spin class once. It was my first and last spin class. For me, it was a death sentence. I hated it.
If it was fun people would want to continue after the period ends. The same is true of stationary trainers.
Old 12-08-15, 01:00 PM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spin class is a good workout. It uses some of the same muscles as riding a bicycle.

Spin class is not the same as riding a bicycle. Riding a bicycle is fun.

Nothing more to say, really.
Old 12-08-15, 01:21 PM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My wife and I were having a conversation about how precious the moments and times of our lives are. We realized we need to spend them on things we like and not squander them where we really do not want to be. I would politely tell my friend I'm not interested in spin class and invite them for a real ride.
Old 12-08-15, 01:35 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
It's not so bad. And if you sit in the back, the view can be pretty nice.
Depends on the instructor, then you might want to sit up front.
Old 12-08-15, 01:57 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have never been to a spin class, mostly because I don't understand the concept. I would think a fast walk (above 5 mph) for an hour would do your body just as good. Well, that's what I do and I save the fees and driving time. By the time you drive anywhere here in the middle of nowhere, it's a least a half hour each way.
Besides, the dog likes her walk time with me.
Old 12-08-15, 02:06 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
I have never been to a spin class, mostly because I don't understand the concept. I would think a fast walk (above 5 mph) for an hour would do your body just as good. Well, that's what I do and I save the fees and driving time. By the time you drive anywhere here in the middle of nowhere, it's a least a half hour each way.
Besides, the dog likes her walk time with me.
Probably true. But, when it is cold out, and the days are short, it can be a decent cardio workout and as some have said, uses some of the same muscles riding a bike does.
Old 12-08-15, 02:08 PM
Houseboy522

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I posted this on the "Training" section of BF earlier today. Maybe I can get some useful ideas here.
No need to reply if you hate spin class and/or just want to rant. I understand some of the limitations of spin class and I already don't do some of the "crap" moves that some instructors (not all) seem to like. I'm really just looking for some idea about the problem (I seem to have) regarding standing with very low resistance:

I'm taking a spin class and wondering about standing with no (or very light) resistance.
I find this very difficult but some others appear to find it sufficiently easy to do it as part of "recovery".
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

To ME, my problem seems to be that with very little resistance, the pedals want to go super fast and I can't spin at over about 110rpm without going "out of control". I am fine standing when I have sufficient resistance but I just can't seem to get the hang of it with very low resistance setting and EVERYONE ELSE appears to be having an easy time of it.

Maybe I'm not coordinated enough (but I did not think that was the case).

Any tricks to this? I have the bars level with the seat and I see most have the bars somewhat high (relative to the seat). Still, all my experience on the road is to shift to a heavier gear before standing on a hill and this (standing with very light resistance in spin class) seems way more difficult for me than (apparently) for others.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't trash spin class. I have already read all of the complaints and I don't disagree. I'm taking this class with my wife and I'm just trying to make the best of it.
Old 12-08-15, 02:16 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I hate spin classes and I hate spin bikes.........................

But, reluctantly, I started riding a spin bike a couple of times a week recently, as part of a rehab program to build up my leg strength, to make up for my lack of outdoor riding due the excess rainy weather we've been having recently. I ride my own version of a 35 minute HIIT program and I have found it does help on the occasions I get outside for a ride. 35 minutes is about as much as I can stand without going loopy.

It does seem to work, but I can't say that I like it!

P.S.

Like the previous writer I cannot ride standing in a low gear - just doesn't seem right. But standing in a high gear has helped me tackle some local hills on my road bike standing, when I previously would have stayed sitting.
Could it be that other spin class members are not regular cyclists so they do it without any "learned" behaviours that they have to overcome?

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 12-08-15 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-08-15, 03:08 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Have recently thought about it, hasn't been over 10° for a while.
I hate not riding due to the weather
In a 65° room, it might be a way to maintain some riding shape thru winter.

Not the group exercise type though.
Getting more warmer clothes to be able to ride outside might be an better choice for me.

Was wishing for 20°, now 15° & I might give it a try.
Old 12-08-15, 03:17 PM
TriDanny47

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Nope, Nope, Nope. Hate it. Did some as part of a triathlon training program I took during the winter. Loud and boring. I get the same benefits from riding my trainer indoors in the winter, and my fat bike and/or hybrid or mt bike outdoors during the winter.
Old 12-08-15, 03:21 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
uses some of the same muscles riding a bike does.
I could be wrong, but doesn't walking also use those muscles? lol

I understand the different strokes for different folks and like that we all have options in life. Maybe one day, I'll attend a spin class to see what the fuss is about and if it is for me too.
I have a trainer at home, somewhere... lol. I don't use it, hate it to pieces and it takes up a lot of space. I'm thinking a spin class and using a trainer may be more alike than different. Like I said, one day I'll attend a spin class and find out for myself.
Although, I can see the a few possible benefits from sitting in the back of the room if it is a co-ed class.
Old 12-08-15, 03:26 PM
TriDanny47

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave
Getting more warmer clothes to be able to ride outside might be an better choice for me.

Was wishing for 20°, now 15° & I might give it a try.
If you layer up properly, you can ride in almost anything ... well, maybe not Fairbanks type cold, but your area isn't quite as bad.

OK, I used to post about this on another forum ... I invested in a lot of battery heated clothing as well as really good thermal underlayers, etc, a few years ago. My part of the Midwest gets between 0 and -20 F pretty regularly most winters, and the past two it was EXCEPTIONALLY cold. I've been able to ride very comfortably in those conditions with the right gear. Up to and including Columbia snow pants, heated base layer, heated vest and coat, heated gloves, heated boots. Just be sure to pack extra battery packs (Li Ion rechargeables, I ordered extra at the time) for longer rides (over 2-3 hours). Plus great hats, neck warmers, etc (Under Armour, Smartwool are my favorites). I even went so far as to order a pair of heated ski goggles since I got sick of fogged up lenses.

It allows me to get out there in the worst of conditions. Cruising the web, I see that several companies are expanding their range of batter heated clothing, including Milwaukee Tool (I have ONE of their coats, like the coat, like the heat, but the battery is WAY bigger and more cumbersome than the Columbia system).

Seriously, bundled up like that, I step outside on a -5 degree morning and turn on the power buttons ... and it feels like being wrapped in an electric blanket on low or medium - not extreme heat, but enough to make me go "ahhh ... this feels nice."

Not everyone needs that extreme by any means - I am ALWAYS cold due to a blood/bone marrow disorder and the medications I have to take on an ongoing basis. But, it's an option for extreme conditions.
Old 12-08-15, 03:29 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by TriDanny47
Nope, Nope, Nope. Hate it. Did some as part of a triathlon training program I took during the winter. Loud and boring. I get the same benefits from riding my trainer indoors in the winter, and my fat bike and/or hybrid or mt bike outdoors during the winter.
I think the noise was what bothered me the most. Nothing but loud, distorted percussion to try and get the participants to keep pace. Deafening. Never again.
Old 12-08-15, 03:32 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TriDanny47
If you layer up properly, you can ride in almost anything ... well, maybe not Fairbanks type cold, but your area isn't quite as bad.

OK, I used to post about this on another forum ... I invested in a lot of battery heated clothing as well as really good thermal underlayers, etc, a few years ago. My part of the Midwest gets between 0 and -20 F pretty regularly most winters, and the past two it was EXCEPTIONALLY cold. I've been able to ride very comfortably in those conditions with the right gear. Up to and including Columbia snow pants, heated base layer, heated vest and coat, heated gloves, heated boots. Just be sure to pack extra battery packs (Li Ion rechargeables, I ordered extra at the time) for longer rides (over 2-3 hours). Plus great hats, neck warmers, etc (Under Armour, Smartwool are my favorites). I even went so far as to order a pair of heated ski goggles since I got sick of fogged up lenses.

It allows me to get out there in the worst of conditions. Cruising the web, I see that several companies are expanding their range of batter heated clothing, including Milwaukee Tool (I have ONE of their coats, like the coat, like the heat, but the battery is WAY bigger and more cumbersome than the Columbia system).

Seriously, bundled up like that, I step outside on a -5 degree morning and turn on the power buttons ... and it feels like being wrapped in an electric blanket on low or medium - not extreme heat, but enough to make me go "ahhh ... this feels nice."

Not everyone needs that extreme by any means - I am ALWAYS cold due to a blood/bone marrow disorder and the medications I have to take on an ongoing basis. But, it's an option for extreme conditions.
Biking is a "Black Hole" to throw money into.
Have a set of $300 studs, several layers of under armor & polar fleece.
I layer up to keep the front warm & the back starts sweating on the hills.

But you're giving me motivation,
I just gotta watch to not deep breath the cold air & cover any exposed skin.
Old 12-08-15, 09:29 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
I could be wrong, but doesn't walking also use those muscles? lol

I understand the different strokes for different folks and like that we all have options in life. Maybe one day, I'll attend a spin class to see what the fuss is about and if it is for me too.
I have a trainer at home, somewhere... lol. I don't use it, hate it to pieces and it takes up a lot of space. I'm thinking a spin class and using a trainer may be more alike than different. Like I said, one day I'll attend a spin class and find out for myself.
Although, I can see the a few possible benefits from sitting in the back of the room if it is a co-ed class.
Not much fuss, just an exercise class that somewhat mimics cycling. Do it 2 or 3 times per week at decent intensity and you might find the transition to outdoor riding in the spring a little easier than if you just did your brisk walking routine.
As for the second point, I see people say that and really, ymmv. Sorry to single you out, but when people write stuff like this, it seems a little creepy. IMO, get a spot in the front so the young women and men can check you out. ��

Last edited by MRT2; 12-09-15 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-09-15, 03:59 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Pas for the second point, I see people say that and really, ymmv. Sorry to single you out, but when people write stuff like this, it seems a little creepy. IMO, get a spot in the front so the young women and men can check you out. ��
I'm glad that someone else feels that old men sitting at the back of a gym class ogling the backsides of young girls is just a bit sleazy.
Old 12-09-15, 06:00 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
I'm glad that someone else feels that old men sitting at the back of a gym class ogling the backsides of young girls is just a bit sleazy.
Sleazy is "sitting" at the back and not spinning.

The room is dark, hot and the music is loud. If by the end of the class you don't have sweat in your eyes blurring your vision... you're not working hard enough.
Old 12-09-15, 08:24 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Sleazy is "sitting" at the back and not spinning.

The room is dark, hot and the music is loud. If by the end of the class you don't have sweat in your eyes blurring your vision... you're not working hard enough.
My 35min session in the home bike room was like that yesterday. Ambient temp at 63 and no fan.
Old 12-09-15, 08:57 AM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Sorry to single you out, but when people write stuff like this, it seems a little creepy. IMO, get a spot in the front so the young women and men can check you out. ��
Sorry if my feeble attempt at humor gave you the wrong impression. I clearly stated that I never attended a spin class and was poking fun at what might be a benefit, other than health gains.
I guess I'll keep my day job, lol
Old 12-11-15, 12:02 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I have been doing a Wednesday night spin class since February.

As pretty much a weekend warrior, it has helped me this year

to earn the CA triple crown and improve on the local 4.4 mile, 1500' time trial climb by several minutes..

A little goofy & loud, but worth it.
Old 12-11-15, 12:55 AM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
It's not for everyone, and it doesn't directly translate to real cycling. But there are some benefits. Last year, I sold my trainer and started doing group spins at the "Y" a couple times a week (at my age, I get a free membership). Turns out two of my former collegues were in the class, and we started having coffee after the sessions. At the end of the winter, my transition to regular biking was easier, and I found my cadence and tempo skills had greatly improved. The instructor was very encouraging and played a good mix of music (classic rock to modern stuff). In all, it was fun and it kept me moving through the winter. Hugely more interesting and motivating than riding the trainer in the basement (and I had a good setup). It was just a matter of accepting it for what it was.
Old 12-13-15, 01:30 AM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
As a former Spin instructor I have opinions.

I certified as a Spin instructor when I wasn't riding a bike outdoors. When I took a class in specific heart rate training, offering HRMs to participants, my instructing changed for the better of everyone who wanted to improve their fitness and outdoor bike riding fitness.

Most indoor cycling is aerobics on a bike. I was guilty of that as well, under 2005, when I took to the road again. Then my classes were 1-hr. adaptations of my rides up Mt. Diablo, local loops, hill climbs, etc. I quit that and took my participants on condensed versions of my outside rides. Their fitness improved but my numbers decreased: people want the aerobics on a bike.

About 5 years ago we discovered The Sufferfest videos, which are a mash-up of pro cycling videos (TdF, GdI, VaE, etc.), structured workouts, and music to help you keep cadence. We do at least 2 a week, maybe 3-4, depending on the weather on the weekends, and not only maintain but also improve fitness during winter.

There are probably other videos out there that do the same thing, and maybe Spinning classes that do likewise. Our cycling friend teaches Spinning at our club a couple times a week and we attend frequently, get a good workout, and enjoy the connections with friends and members. That structured stuff works, though.

Whatever you do, if you ride your bike and don't enjoy it, you're doing it wrong. Ride the rides that make you happy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.