Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tearing the bike down?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tearing the bike down?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 07:32 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Tearing the bike down?

I maintain my bike regularly, tires, chain, anything else as necessary.

when I was much younger we used to recommend tearing down the bike completely, re packing the headset, bottom bracket, and hubs. Granted this was in the days of loose or caged ball bearings.

Do you still do this or is it still recommended and if so how often? My bike has about 7000 miles on it. The hubs are still new as I seem to enjoy buying and selling wheelsets but both the BB and Headset are from my original installation.

There is no rain where I live but very dusty here in the Desert.

thoughts?
Old 06-26-19, 07:44 AM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
With all sealed bearings in my bikes these days I don't bother, I just check it regularly to make sure everything is spinning smooth, bolts are torqued, nothing loose etc.

Occasionally (maybe once a season) I'll pop off the BBs (threaded BSA) regrease and reinstall just in case of water ingress, to prevent seizure etc or if I'm making a handlebar/stem adjustment while it's apart I'll give the headset bearings (sealed) a wipe and new coating of grease. Same for seatpost - regrease/reinstall to prevent seizure, make sure frame looks ok etc.
Old 06-26-19, 08:20 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Regarding the headset...when I've dismantled old bikes to refurbish them...I've almost always found that the headset was in relatively good condition. So generally I don't take them apart just to do routine maintenance. As far as the BB...with both the old loose/caged bearings, and cartridge BBs...from time to time I will take both pedal cranks off and move them 90° or 180° on the spindle. It changes the pressure/wear point on the spindle I guess...but not the race. So I guess I might get a little more mileage out of it. Might not help much, but it doesn't hurt.
Dan
Old 06-26-19, 12:25 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
When I was pre-teen and early teen I used to tear my bike down to the bare bearings several times a year. Except for the learning experience, I think it was wasted time. Could have been out riding.

Preventative maintenance does have a place, but usually for things where it's a life and death issue or potential liability issue. Such as airplane maintenance or commercial vehicle maintenance. Lawsuits and legal costs excluded, PM is more expensive in many cases than just waiting for a problem to show itself. And for personal bicycles, as I said previously, I could be out riding instead of fretting.
Old 06-27-19, 06:30 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Thanks! I think next time I wash the bike I’ll pop off the crank and see how it feels. I’m pretty sure everything is fine.
Old 06-27-19, 07:44 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I keep three chains in rotation, swapping out every ~500 miles and installing a clean one. Every ~1500 miles, I strip down the drivetrain - remove and thoroughly clean the rings, cassette and jockey wheels, and give the derailleurs a degrease, rinse and relube in situ. Once every few years, I'll pull and regrease the brakes, seat post, BB and pedals, and take a look at the cables, greasing or replacing as necessary. I haven't touched the King headset in years. I overhauled the Campag shifters ~2003 - they're probably due another round. I ride year round, but conditions in central NC are pretty benign
Old 06-27-19, 11:33 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I only take headsets and bbs apart when I hear noise.
Old 06-28-19, 06:48 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
If I haven't built a bike, I'll pull it apart once, put it back together properly and forget about it.