Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Racks, Panniers, and Bags

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Racks, Panniers, and Bags

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 10:29 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
I use the green patrol bag from the USGI modular sleeping system it is good down to around 40 f you can get down a bit colder assuming you use a bivvy and sleep fully clothed , you can buy the patrol bag online for for less than $30. I purchased the whole sleep system for less than $100 bivy included . I am not saying it works as good as a $300 to $400 bag but I'd wager it works as good as that $100 bag.
That's fine but completely missed the point of my posts. I was not discussing prices, I was saying lighter weight gear can be had but there is a cost-weight trade off.
Old 06-26-19, 10:34 AM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
... Before spending a fortune on something that looks impressive at REI...

...Also, you don't always need a tent. If there's no mosquitos or scorpions or tarantulas around to bite you, no need.
Neither was I recommending REI as a brand or their products. The point was the cost-weight trade off.

No mosquitoes, no rain, scorpions and tarantulas,... IN WISCONSIN???
Old 06-26-19, 10:42 AM
Bad Lag

What I do like is the OP is considering his options for used gear.

IMO, that is smart, especially for a new endeavor which the OP has yet to prove he enjoys. <-- Did I construct that sentence correctly???

The trick with that is the weight, unless you have ready access to a scale at the point of sale or know/research brands and models.

In "the big city", we even have a couple of used sports equipment suppliers around. Then there's Craigslist, ebay and other used equipment sources.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 06-26-19 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-26-19, 10:46 AM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by nlerner
A few weeks ago, I went on a 3-day bike camping trip with @-holiday76 and @ColonelJLloyd. They're experienced hammock campers, so I borrowed most of the gear I needed (hammock, fly, top and bottom quilt). It's all strapped to the front rack of my bike:

I enjoyed the experience a lot and look forward to doing it again. At this point in my life, sleeping on the ground just 'ain't cutting it (and I've done lots of backpacking, tent camping). The lightweight hammock alternative makes a lot of sense.
That looks darned good.

It does not look to be a bug-free zone. Can you discuss that as an issue? Where were you?
Old 06-26-19, 10:51 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
That looks darned good.

It does not look to be a bug-free zone. Can you discuss that as an issue? Where were you?
its not an issue. A good hammock setup will have either an integrated bug net or one that goes around the whole setup.

https://www.exploreserac.com/bug-free-hanging/

Likes For -holiday76:
Old 06-26-19, 11:05 AM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
That's fine but completely missed the point of my posts. I was not discussing prices, I was saying lighter weight gear can be had but there is a cost-weight trade off.

No I did not miss the point , I just did not cite the weight of the patrol bag which I weighed earlier cause I curious and it doesn’t hit two pounds in the little cheap stuff sack I purchased at sportsman’s warehouse

Last night I most definitely trying to say you can get a light bag without paying even $100 , I just should have articulated better.
Old 06-26-19, 11:33 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Neither was I recommending REI as a brand or their products. The point was the cost-weight trade off.

No mosquitoes, no rain, scorpions and tarantulas,... IN WISCONSIN???
Yep, understood. I was just trying to +1 that concept and emphasize that a $500 tent isn't necessarily going to be better or even lighter than a $100 tent. The fancy tents can downright suck under windy conditions.

Wisconsin might have a few mosquitoes, it is said. Maybe even some rain. I don't think they have tarantulas or scorpions, but I don't know.
Old 06-26-19, 11:38 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I didn't know I was a hipster. I thought trial and error led me to this conclusion.

That's because you are an ultra hipster. Ultra hipsters are too hip to be aware that they are a hipster. Only mid level hipsters think that they are hip.

All of this will be explained in my upcoming book: The Five Levels of Hipster.
Old 06-26-19, 12:16 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
That's because you are an ultra hipster. Ultra hipsters are too hip to be aware that they are a hipster. Only mid level hipsters think that they are hip.

All of this will be explained in my upcoming book: The Five Levels of Hipster.
Wow!

I'm going to refer you to my publicist, he handles all of these matters for me.