Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Swimming cross training - same intervals?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-19, 07:18 PM
Ericoschmitt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi everyone,

The question: Can I do the same vo2 interval sessions from cycling workouts but in the swimming pool? And expect the same stimulus to the aerobic system, as long as I do the same perceived effort? Things like 2x20mins for example.

-------more info:
Reason is I've had an inflamed knee extensor tendon (I saw a doc) and had to stay off the bike for a couple months, now I'm coming back but only easy/short/flat rides for now. I've started gym to get core and knee stability and got back to swimming a month ago in the hopes of keeping vo2 in place, but these swimming "classes" (I don't call them training sessions) aren't much focused in aerobic fitness as I see it, it's a mix of everything swimming related.
So I talked to the swimming coach and asked if she was ok if I did my own workouts from the bike, she said "You can, but I don't know about you cycling training, only specific swimming training, so I can't tell if it will be as effective." Can I expect that doing vo2max efforts in the swimming pool will give me similar results as doing them on the bike? I'll probably have to only do easy rides for the next month at least!
I did 10min efforts on the bike in the past two rides just to check how bad things were and with about the same perceived effort it seems I'm putting about 10% less power than in april... This sucks, although I hope I can recover quickly. I swam 10h/week for many years in the past, so I still have a quite good technique, ready to go strong.
Old 08-07-19, 12:22 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
I doubt it's exactly the same, but for 1 month I'm sure it's close enough that it's fine.
Old 08-09-19, 03:41 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
seems to me that hard core swimmers focus..on a variety of interval ..... like do 1000 with 100's on the 2. meaning swim 100 yards and if you finish under 2 minutes you get to rest until 2 minutes is up and go again for 10 times

you might want to find a master swim program.

all i know for sure is I swam with and HRM a couple of days ago and it put me at way higher HR than i hit cycling. not sure if that is equipment issue or just the difference in the sports.