Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Thinking of making a radical drivetrain change

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Thinking of making a radical drivetrain change

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-19, 09:37 PM
Surly Mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
My 46/30 Sugino crank with SRAM Rival 22 and 11-36 cassette works without a hitch. Following the setup instructions for the yaw FD is critical as it is slightly different from what you may be used to doing with other derailleurs.

BluesDawg, can you please give more details about your setup? You have exactly what I'm wanting in a new bike build!

I've been searching and asking online for weeks for a solution, and you are the ONLY person that has this setup! Sram specs state that the Rival 22 rear derailleur can only handle up to an 11-32 cassette and 37t capacity...I know that bike companies are conservative with their numbers...Your setup goes 4t beyond their max cog, and 4t beyond their max capacity. Are you using the most recent version of the Rival 22 groupset? Are you using a Sram MTB GX 10-speed rear derailleur? And what kind of bike frame is all this on? (I'm wanting to put mine on a CF road bike.)

Thank you B.D.,

Mike
Old 08-11-19, 02:49 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by PhoenixBiker
This is a road-bike question, but I'm posting it in the Cyclocross/Gravelbiking forum because it involves cross/gravel gearing.

For close to 20 years, I've run old-fashioned road triples on both my road bikes (one Waterford, one Gunnar) On both, I run Ultegra 52/42/26 setups with 13-36 cassettes. At age 64, after back surgery and two bouts with cancer, I can no longer push big gears. I'm thinking of changing the gears on one of the bikes to more of a cyclocross/gravel setup. I'm looking at replacing the current triple crankset with a White Industries VBC (variable bolt circle) double crankset that combines a 44T big ring with at 24T small ring. I'd couple that with 11-speed SRAM shifters / derailleurs and an 11-42T cassette.

Does anyone see any potential pitfalls in such a setup? It won't be cheap ($1k or thereabouts), but I think it will give me the low gearing I need to climb the short-but-steep hills I ride here in West Virginia. Your thoughts? Thanks!
with SRAM road FD it did not work for me, the top of the cage is designed too low for 44T chainring, I tried with 46T and I cannot use anything above 25T in the back, it would rub the top cage if go above that. It does depend on the BB drop of the frame

Last edited by Chi_Z; 08-11-19 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-11-19, 03:37 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Surly Mike
BluesDawg, can you please give more details about your setup? You have exactly what I'm wanting in a new bike build!

I've been searching and asking online for weeks for a solution, and you are the ONLY person that has this setup! Sram specs state that the Rival 22 rear derailleur can only handle up to an 11-32 cassette and 37t capacity...I know that bike companies are conservative with their numbers...Your setup goes 4t beyond their max cog, and 4t beyond their max capacity. Are you using the most recent version of the Rival 22 groupset? Are you using a Sram MTB GX 10-speed rear derailleur? And what kind of bike frame is all this on? (I'm wanting to put mine on a CF road bike.)

Thank you B.D.,

Mike
I'm not the only person in my small town who has a similar setup.

As you said, manufacturers tend to be quite conservative with their largest cog size and greatest chain wrap capacity numbers. I have been exceeding them for years with different components.

This one is SRAM Rival 22 HRD levers, Rival 22 WiFli rear derailleur, PG-1170 11-36 cassette. I first had this on a 2018 All-City Cosmic Stallion steel-frame gravel bike. It is now on a 2019 Black Mtn Cycles MCD steel-frame gravel bike. I have seen (and helped install) the same gearing except Force 22 on a carbon-frame Niner RLT 9 RDO gravel bike. All of these were with standard mounting hardware and just a few extr turns of the B screw. No need for reversing the screw or installing a longer screw. YMMV
Old 08-16-19, 02:58 PM
PhoenixBiker 

Bikes: 2001 Waterford RST-22, 2002 Gunnar Sport, 1999 Trek 520 gravel grinder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you all VERY much for taking the time to reply. I was just about to pull the trigger on the SRAM-White Industries option when I learned of the new Shimano GRX components. I've elected to go with Shimano Ultegra 8000 11-speed brifters, the new GRX-810 rear and front derailleurs, the GRX 46-30 crankset and a 11-42T cassette with RoadLink. From everything I've read, all those components should play nicely together. Construction will begin as soon as the parts arrive. Again, thanks for your input!
Old 08-16-19, 05:25 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by wsteve464
Shimano mtb Di2 ... 42/26 with an 11-42 cassette.
A 42 cog is outside the spec range for the XTR rear derailleur (40 tooth max).

The chain wrap for that setup is 47 teeth, which also exceeds the chain wrap for that derailleur (45 max).

Many people exceed the spec range on derailleurs. Some say their out-of-spec gears shift just fine, but I have seen too many people struggle with theirs.

I recommend staying within the Shimano spec.

Old 08-16-19, 09:05 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
A 42 cog is outside the spec range for the XTR rear derailleur (40 tooth max).

The chain wrap for that setup is 47 teeth, which also exceeds the chain wrap for that derailleur (45 max).

Many people exceed the spec range on derailleurs. Some say their out-of-spec gears shift just fine, but I have seen too many people struggle with theirs.

I recommend staying within the Shimano spec.
The Shimano spec for the XT rear derailleur is 42 tooth max for 2x11 and 46 tooth max for 1x11

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...-M8050-GS.html
Likes For wsteve464: