Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tell me why I shouldn't be scared of dying on the road ...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tell me why I shouldn't be scared of dying on the road ...

Old 08-08-19, 03:43 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
The first homeowners violated the HOA gardening clause, got kicked out of town and one of their kids killed the other, it's all downhill from there.
Old 08-08-19, 06:40 PM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I've often heard it said that, "Nobody lives forever". That doesn't mean it's Ok to be stupid. It's simply an acknowledgement that while there are things you can do to tip the odds in your favor, you quickly reach a point of diminishing returns.

Number one for me is a situation I've mentally tagged as the "meat grinder". If there is much more than a 15 mph spread between your velocity and the rest of traffic, you need to pick some better traffic. Lower relative velocity not only gives you more time to notice a developing problem, it greatly improves your odds of finding a way to deal with it. If you don't want to become sausage, stay out of the meat grinder.

Second and almost as important is to get your rig set up for the riding you do. Both of my bikes right now are Japan surplus mama-chari. They are a pretty good fit as-is because most of my runs are short trip in city traffic. Both have 3 spd IGH that offer a wide enough ratio to cover how I ride but the range needs to be adjusted downward. Simply having the ability to shift while stopped is priceless in heavy traffic but I need a lower first more than an open road high. The two things most likely to save my butt are better braking and reserve acceleration. Chances of serious injury increase as the square of the impact velocity. Slowing down even a little bit improves things a whole lot. The best thing though is not to be at the scene of the accident. Having the ability to deliver a sudden burst of speed can get you out from between two vehicles under your own power, rather than getting squeezed out like a watermelon seed.
Old 08-08-19, 07:27 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Getting up in the morning and facing the day is dangerous. Safety is an illusion. In my opinion, fearing death is pretty much senseless. It happens to everyone at some point.
Old 08-08-19, 10:30 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeKahno
I've often heard it said that, "Nobody lives forever". That doesn't mean it's Ok to be stupid. It's simply an acknowledgement that while there are things you can do to tip the odds in your favor, you quickly reach a point of diminishing returns....
I have freqently quoted this post about Stupidity, written in the context of winter riding, but a general maxim:
Originally Posted by StephenH
"When does Hardcore bbecome Stupid"

Hardcore becomes stupid when it becomes dangerous.

Hardcore becomes stupid when anything going wrong becomes a safety problem instead of an inconvenience. ...

Hardcore becomes stupid when minor errors in judgment become safety issues....

In each case, it's not just the weather [traffic] that makes it hardcore or stupid, it's the degree of preparation and knowledge used...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-08-19 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-09-19, 02:31 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You're afraid of death in general. Nobody really relishes it (at least it's not sane), but it will happen and you're just going to to have to find a way to get past this and accept that there is nothing you can do about it, no matter how it occurs.

I used to have panic attacks about it before going to sleep and I still have some trepidation about it...I have faced near-death a few times in my life and I fought against it. Still, you have to continue to live, be vigilant and realize that it will happen, but why let it rule your life?

Take each day and make it yours.
Old 08-09-19, 06:48 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by einstruzende
There's no way in hell I'm riding on bike paths! What I love(d) about cycling was the exploration, the speed, the remoteness of country roads. And yes, we are all going to die, and it's not something I'm worried about, except here (but I still have ridden a bit this year and enjoyed it).
What's wrong with bike paths? I ask as someone who lives in an area with very few bike paths.

As far as exploring remote areas, I live not far from a rail trail which is fun to ride, and you do go through some very remote areas. The great thing is that, except where it intersects a road or a street here or there, you don't have to worry about traffic.
Old 08-09-19, 06:52 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
What's wrong with bike paths?
In a nutshell, they're not much different than riding on the sidewalk, with its perils, annoyances, and inherent limitations. If you like riding on sidewalks, you'll LOVE bike paths. Safety-wise, I'll take the shoulder of a freeway any day over a bike path.
Old 08-09-19, 07:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
In a nutshell, they're not much different than riding on the sidewalk, with its perils, annoyances, and inherent limitations. If you like riding on sidewalks, you'll LOVE bike paths. Safety-wise, I'll take the shoulder of a freeway any day over a bike path.

That varies wildly from path to path. My evening ride after work is a 24.5 mile round trip on a local MUP which I average 19+ mph solo on (with a timer that doesn't auto-pause for the 8 or so intersections each way). I'm hitting speeds in the high 20s, and I'll go for several miles without seeing another human (deer, turkeys, turtles, pheasants, aggressive groundhogs, OTOH). Try doing that on a sidewalk. I, like you, love riding on the shoulder of a highway because of the long uninterrupted high speeds, but this path ride basically gives me the same thing in a location close to the office.

Now if you take the Charles River Greenway through Waltham and Watertown, I wouldn't ride that again on a bet. I feel rude riding anything over 13 mph on that path.

If you're going point-to-point in a major metro area, you also have to consider what the alternative to the path is. If the roads around the path have a bunch of buses and stoplights and stop signs at busy intersections, frankly the road riding might seem more like sidewalk riding to me than riding on a MUP where at least I can maintain a steady pace.

My sense is that the people who automatically turn their noses up at all paths miss out on a lot of really good riding.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-09-19, 07:39 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
But life is pain. So fear life?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

That varies wildly from path to path. My evening ride after work is a 24.5 mile round trip on a local MUP which I average 19+ mph solo on (with a timer that doesn't auto-pause for the 8 or so intersections each way). I'm hitting speeds in the high 20s, and I'll go for several miles without seeing another human (deer, turkeys, turtles, pheasants, aggressive groundhogs, OTOH). Try doing that on a sidewalk. I, like you, love riding on the shoulder of a highway because of the long uninterrupted high speeds, but this path ride basically gives me the same thing in a location close to the office.

Now if you take the Charles River Greenway through Waltham and Watertown, I wouldn't ride that again on a bet. I feel rude riding anything over 13 mph on that path.

If you're going point-to-point in a major metro area, you also have to consider what the alternative to the path is. If the roads around the path have a bunch of buses and stoplights and stop signs at busy intersections, frankly the road riding might seem more like sidewalk riding to me than riding on a MUP where at least I can maintain a steady pace.

My sense is that the people who automatically turn their noses up at all paths miss out on a lot of really good riding.
Could be a "rural vs. urban" thing. When a small town of 30,000 people decides to build a bike path, it's gonna be a poorly-thought out joke, built mainly to use up extra money at the end of the fiscal year and for PR purposes. But when Portland Oregon spends millions on a 73 mile path along the Columbia River Gorge, that's a little different.

I don't live in Portland Oregon though (sadly) and all of the bike paths I have seen in various small towns in California are of the former variety.
Old 08-09-19, 07:47 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Sounds like you need to ride some different bike paths. Most of the ones I ride are nothing even remotely close to riding on a sidewalk.
Old 08-09-19, 10:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Could be a "rural vs. urban" thing. When a small town of 30,000 people decides to build a bike path, it's gonna be a poorly-thought out joke, built mainly to use up extra money at the end of the fiscal year and for PR purposes. But when Portland Oregon spends millions on a 73 mile path along the Columbia River Gorge, that's a little different.

I don't live in Portland Oregon though (sadly) and all of the bike paths I have seen in various small towns in California are of the former variety.
In Mass., NH and RI, the long paths are mostly rail trails between towns and cities. The Minuteman Bikeway between Belmont and Cambridge, MA is an 11 mile suburban route that is one of the most used paths in the U.S. It is also significantly faster than riding on parallel streets. There's a lot of speeding up and slowing down, but it beats the heck out of stoplights, trucks and buses.

Really rural paths are often unpaved, so that can be a whole other kettle of fish, but it also is nothing like riding on a sidewalk.
Old 08-09-19, 11:22 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Frankly, if someone built a long, paved bike path around here, I'd be happy to "ride on a sidewalk." But that's not going to happen. Best we've got is the rail trail which is hard packed limestone. And the closest end of that is about an hour's drive from my house.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 08-09-19, 11:49 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
But life is pain. So fear life?
HUGE points for the Princess Bride ref.
Old 08-10-19, 04:11 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
There's no way in hell I'm riding on bike paths! What I love(d) about cycling was the exploration, the speed, the remoteness of country roads.

And yes, we are all going to die, and it's not something I'm worried about, except here (but I still have ridden a bit this year and enjoyed it)
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
What's wrong with bike paths? I ask as someone who lives in an area with very few bike paths.

As far as exploring remote areas, I live not far from a rail trail which is fun to ride, and you do go through some very remote areas. The great thing is that, except where it intersects a road or a street here or there, you don't have to worry about traffic.
In a nutshell, they're not much different than riding on the sidewalk, with its perils, annoyances, and inherent limitations. If you like riding on sidewalks, you'll LOVE bike paths.

Safety-wise, I'll take the shoulder of a freeway any day over a bike path.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That varies wildly from path to path. My evening ride after work is a 24.5 mile round trip on a local MUP which I average 19+ mph solo ...Try doing that on a sidewalk

I, like you, love riding on the shoulder of a highway because of the long uninterrupted high speeds, but this path ride basically gives me the same thing in a location close to the office...

If you're going point-to-point in a major metro area, you also have to consider what the alternative to the path is

From a utilitarian view, as a cycle commuter, I have posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
All my cycling as a decades-long, year-round commuter and occasional centurian in Metro Boston ranges from dense urban, to suburban, to exurban, but no rural.

I'm goal-oriented, be it miles or destinations, so I take the Road as it comes, to satisfy my Goal.
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
many of the segregationists have been making their public case by convincing everyone that cycling is too dangerous to be done anywhere except on a segregated facility.

Not surprisingly, this has an impact in terms of how many people are willing to even try riding a bike since there is no way to get anywhere in the US without riding on a road
…Last week I visited the family in Macomb County. IMO, that is some of the nastiest road riding I have ever encountered.

The main roads, to get anywhere, are six lane concrete slabs with bumps about every 20 feet, and many cracks and potholes especially on the right, with no shoulders, and heavy, zooming traffic with little patience for (slow) cyclists.

Even as an experienced urban commuter, I will often flee to the sidewalks, little used by pedestrians out in suburbia...

Now actually those suburban counties like Macomb and Oakland have developed some nice, long MUPS, but the prevailing attitude seems to be that bikes are not ”real” transportation, so one usually drives to a MUP to ride the bike; and the MUPS are though rural countryside, with no defined, or non-recreational [utilitarian "useful"] destination...
Boston as a compact East Coast urban environment has a nice set of bikepaths that connect the downtown area through the midtown as it were, and out to the residential neighborhoods and inner suburbs, providing utilitarian byways for cycle commuting or recreation, though these paths are not completely connected…

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-10-19 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-10-19, 08:34 AM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts
I ride 50 miles a day, bike paths are out. I'm not dodging dogs and fixing flats from broken glass. I live about eight miles from the city and ride in the opposite direction on rural roads. I do have to ride on some highways with widely paved breakdown lanes. I'm worried about what comes from behind even though I have good mirrors on all my bikes. I don't really dwell on it because when your number is up it's up.

I'm trying to find Go Pro cameras with chips that will restart the cycle after the time runs out. I need cameras that last 3 hours plus. At least then my wife will know what took me out.
Old 08-10-19, 09:17 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
Personally, I try to stay off the roads, especially around where I live. But I do see riders on them (usually groups-so safer). I live in a semi-rural area, 2 lane roads, often little to no shoulder, tree lined (so lots of shadows), with a fair amount of curves with vehicles traveling 45-55MPH. I've never seen a rider hit (nor would I want to), but I have witnessed some vehicles passing what I would consider too close for comfort. If I were to ride on these roads (I won't), it would have to be with a group, and then I'd be wary. But then again, I'm not the youngest rider, so my risk acceptance is down from what it used to be!
Old 08-10-19, 12:26 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
I was a pretty serious cyclist from 2003 through 2010, and ended up switching to running for years. Trying to go back to cycling, but I find I am now convinced I'm going to be hit by a car and killed.
You are scared because you are not all wrapped up in denial like many here. You see a potential problem, think about it without bias, and make your choices. This is normal human problem solving. Congratulations!

Pickup trucks are larger than ever, phones and other distractions are the norm these days, and everybody is drunk, smoking pot, or hooked on opiates behind the wheel - depending on where you live. OF COURSE you should be concerned. The only question now is "What are you going to do about it?" This is an individual decision only YOU can make. If you are young, single, and care-free your thought process might be different than if you have a wife and a few small children to care for. So many factors to consider.

Your options fall somewhere between throwing caution to the wind, or no cycling on roadways ever again. Or stick to paths and off road maybe.

Caution to the wind -------- everything in between ------- never cycle on a roadway.

In my early 30s I biked across the USA five times fully self contained. I would have preferred dying to staying home. When I hit 60 my mindset changed and I sold nearly all the bikes and got a new job one mile from my house, in a large park, that I generally skate or walk to. My bike is for nasty weather only and a few errands. I never ride a bike for fun - only necessity (I do not own a car). I do my best to use roadways that have some room to spare when forced to cycle around traffic.

Would you dive into a pool full of well fed sharks that happen to be distracted, blind, and stupid? Enjoy Russian roulette much? It's really up to you. I have lived at both ends of the spectrum and was happy at those times with my decisions. Obviously I lived to talk about it.

Good luck! I am not voting on what you should do. Just spreading experiences.
Old 08-10-19, 01:17 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I can accept that the oceans are full of sharks and the forests are full of wild animals.

But the streets are filled with what we hope are civilized human-beings who have all taken driving lessons. Why do we also accept that they are comparable to wild animals?
Old 08-11-19, 08:27 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
So much fear over an activity that statistics not only show is relatively safe, but actually adds years to our lives.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 08-11-19, 10:30 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
So much fear over an activity that statistics not only show is relatively safe, but actually adds years to our lives.
And its also bad luck to talk about it. For forty years, I rode a motorcycle. I've always been on two wheels. I've ridden my motorcycles all over North America, UK, Europe, and Northern Africa. Never had even a close call because my policy was to always ride like I was invisible, and NEVER tempt fate by talking about crashes. Bad juju. Then, in 2007 I had a crash which broke 13 bones, and gave me traumatic brain injury. I suppose it all caught up to me. I still do not talk about crashing or dying or w t f - ever. Its a waste of time and only incites anxiety and fear of the unknown. People need to nut up.
Old 08-11-19, 10:46 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
On a happier note, I did my usual 30-40 miles today, and nobody flew past me, nearly taking the skin off my elbow, revving their engine and spraying me with exhaust, or shouting obscenities at me !
"So I got that going for me! "
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 08-11-19, 01:08 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Mostly good ride yesterday. Ready, at the intersection, to make a left turn, signaled... car in front of me signaled his left intention. I was ready when the gashole behind him pulled around and gunned it across the intersection. So, instead of being plowed by a selfish twit; I modified and he got an earful of Airzound and verbage!

You gotta drive for them too....
Old 08-11-19, 02:28 PM
bkaapcke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Ii stick to the paved bike trail because a noticeable percentage of the drivers around here have a real attitude. Unfortunately, I have one too. So, avoiding city streets makes everything better. bk
Old 08-11-19, 04:35 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
Garmin Varia Radar
Cannot leave my house without it, too bad I am now stuck with ****ty Garmin headunits
Old 08-11-19, 09:57 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
Cannot leave my house without it, too bad I am now stuck with ****ty Garmin headunits
My exact sentiment. If it wasn't for the radar, I wouldn't use Garmin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.