Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Look what I just got...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Look what I just got...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-19, 12:04 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Sad day for me. Just had my wheels stolen last night. I was going to go and get new cable housings and security skewers today. Since I have money now... guess not.
Old 08-19-19, 12:20 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
That's you, though. I don't want a bike that cost as much, or more than a car, motorcycle or a piece of construction equipment, nor do I have the money.

Bikes are like hotrodding to me; make it your own, make it work, and work good. Nothing wrong with putting a bit of work in an old bike. If I could, I'd rather be restomodding a 74 Ford Maverick, I can't, so I'm restomodding this. As a daily driver it needs to be comfortable and perform well. It's not like I'm dropping carbon on the thing.
Bike $50
Tires $22 a piece
Front rim kicking around my apartment
Back rim(plus front), brake levers(not on it) $25
Lizardskin bartape(not on it) $38
Red cable housings $2 per ft(TBA)
Saddle(TBA)
Security skewers(TBA)
Red bmx pedals(TBA)
Not a lot of money. Still going to be dope when finished. The money spent will probably end up still being less than it cost new.
Well it’s fine I guess. Ya for me it would be hard to want to ride on a 30 pound older road bike with old components for the weekends any way. I understand if it’s about affordability. I’m building an old commuter myself and don’t need it to be some fancy $1000 commuter bike with newer component group. Trying to keep the cost below $300 is ideal. But for serious riding and if you enjoy cycling I think it’s better forking over some dough and supporting the industry.
Old 08-19-19, 01:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
Well it’s fine I guess....
I guess it is! It's an actual bike that can be ridden and apparently OP is an actual rider.
Old 08-20-19, 06:30 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
Sad day for me. Just had my wheels stolen last night...
Where was the bike and how had you secured it? You didn't just U-lock the frame to something, did you?
Old 08-20-19, 11:22 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Where was the bike and how had you secured it? You didn't just U-lock the frame to something, did you?
Yeah; I had just got off work and was going to take a shower and go back out. Poof.
Old 08-20-19, 11:57 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by MyTi
Well it’s fine I guess. Ya for me it would be hard to want to ride on a 30 pound older road bike with old components for the weekends any way. I understand if it’s about affordability. I’m building an old commuter myself and don’t need it to be some fancy $1000 commuter bike with newer component group. Trying to keep the cost below $300 is ideal. But for serious riding and if you enjoy cycling I think it’s better forking over some dough and supporting the industry.
I feel that. The bike isn't 30lbs, though, it's like 23. I don't have a problem pushing a 30lb bike, I ride old mtbs and cruisers too. I have an 83 High Sierra and a Huffy Nel Lusso that's a ratrod with a free wheel and 52t crank from a murray mtb. Pushing heavy bikes makes you faster on the lightwieghts. The huffy is heavier than the sierra and actually faster and I can bomb up overpasses as quick as I can run down them.

The Prelude is fine- was fine, other than the brake calipers flexing. It's just as responsive as a newer bike. Doesn't creak and groan. I don't want to throw high dollar parts at it, not just for the lack of money, it just needs to work. I don't need DuraAce when say 16 year old components will work fine and a 30 buck set of origin8 calipers will stop it. Think of it as a budget restomod.

I support the industry by keeping old bikes alive. Much like new cars; I don't like new bikes. Trust me; me not buying some "entry level" 700 dollar roadbike with as much curves as a cantilevered cruiser and a tiptronic transmission is not gonna destroy the industry.
Old 08-29-19, 10:45 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Back on the road and on schedule. Brake levers swapped, bar tape swapped. Next is new housings, cables, calipers. Luckily I had two of the same front wheel- one was intended for a cruiser build. Got a wheel, tires, tubes from the co-op. Two different tires... but at least the tread and width are exactly the same. There's one more tiny snafu; I think the calipers had been kicking around the shop for a long time, I know the one hung up has been hung up for at least three years. One of it's pads is cracked up, so out of risk of all four being dry rotted; pads are on the list.