Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Gerlach back on the streets..

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 10-04-09, 02:12 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts

Sad. The guy appears to have a lot of talent, and a lot of demons.

https://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/2229294.html
Old 10-04-09, 02:26 PM
spinwax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Terrible news!!

I hate to hear this about a dude with a ton of talent. Man, what is he thinking? Drugs are a terrible, terrible thing. I hope he can get himself straight again. I know nobody can help him, he will have to help himself because he is pretty hard headed.

AGAIN, I wish him and his family luck.

I have a few photos of him and I at races, but this one is pretty cool. Chad and I at Jr National Championships in the late 80s. He is in the all yellow behind me with the yellow Cal Fresh logo on his shorts. I am in the pink right in front of him. I have posted this before but thought I would share again.

Old 10-04-09, 02:29 PM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it's tough when you've went deep into addiction not to spiral back. I've witnessed this first-hand too many times. I feel so bad because it's way beyond a HTFU situation to some.

My prayers are with him.
Old 10-04-09, 02:43 PM
dmotoguy
Edificating

Bikes: Spooky + Sachs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
slightly unexpected and sad to hear.
Old 10-04-09, 05:31 PM
Nate552

Bikes: Orbea Orca Trek 5500 Trek Equinox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dang.
Old 10-04-09, 06:59 PM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That sucks.
Old 10-04-09, 07:57 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
This is really disheartening.

I hope he can figure his life out, whether or not he races again...
Old 10-04-09, 08:55 PM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I read this as Gerlach is back on the bike... on the streets... riding... But alas, I was mistaken.
Old 10-04-09, 09:58 PM
ZeCanon
Writin' stuff

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
At what point does sad become stupid?
Old 10-04-09, 10:05 PM
shapelike
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Life's not that simple, Ze. Try not to judge the guy. It's sad but a lot of the time that's unfortunately how life works out. Hopefully he beats whatever addiction/other issues he has going on and gets his life back again.
Old 10-04-09, 10:11 PM
ZeCanon
Writin' stuff

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
That's how life works out? It's a decision. Everything in life is a decision. You make bad decisions, you pay the consequences. He's paying the consequences for a huge pile of awful decisions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for him. Like a lot of you I've seen what addiction can do first hand, and I know how horrible it is. But acting like this is something out of his control is ridiculous - maybe it is now, but it wasn't at the start, and that counts.
Old 10-04-09, 10:37 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was very depressing to hear about this. Not only is he flushing his cycling talent away, but apparently also his life. Perhaps the most depressing line in the article was, "[When] Asked about the recent birth of his daughter, he said, "I need to call and find out what color her eyes are, and what color her hair is." I hope he can turn his life around before we're reading a premature obituary. And for the record, I'm not judging him; I'm sure he's lived a life that many of us can't begin to fathom or comprehend.
Old 10-05-09, 02:02 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shapelike
Life's not that simple, Ze.
Yeah, it is. You either put the pipe in your mouth or you don't. You choose between your kid or your favorite drug. Lot of stuff swirls around in there but in the end it comes down to that moment of clarity and choice of which one you love more. Anyone who's been there will tell you that.

And ain't no junkie goes back to the s*** not knowing what they are stepping back into.

For his family's sake I hope he walks back into rehab and it sticks. I've gotten the kind of phone call his Dad is dreading. Sympathize with the people who get to clean up the train wreck. Or that little girl who's as likely as not going to have some dirt bag "Dad" showing up loaded to borrow money or steal the microwave on her birthday. Or who gets to go to identify the body.

But don't judge him?

He walked out on his daughter to go get high.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 10-05-09 at 02:24 AM.
Old 10-05-09, 05:48 AM
shapelike
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, it isn't. I'll spare you the soapbox diatribe of the differing perspective because you're not going to change your mind. If you own life has never included perdiods of serious addiction then more power to you, but it isn't so cut and dry. I'm not saying that what he's doing now isn't ruining other people's lives, but it's more complicated than "I'm stupid and made a bad choice."
Old 10-05-09, 05:56 AM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've been over this before, I think. I can see both sides of the issue. The one about making choices and HTFU and the one about being in too deep.

I've had to go to several NA meetings with someone real close to me. When you sit in and listen to the struggles that these people go through you get a better understanding of how hard it really is. Sometimes you can't just put things away and never look back. It's a battle, physically, mentally, spiritually.

Some of us can easily put these demons aside and move on. Others cannot - no matter how hard they try.

We all have things that we struggle with. Maybe it's food. Maybe it's drugs. Maybe it's a sexual addiction. We can't judge and say, "Just stop, stupid" until we have walked in that person shoes.

I'm watching someone close to me slowly die from years of abuse. And even though this person knows he's going to quicken the process he still cannot let go. And it's not because he really doesn't want to. He can't.
Old 10-05-09, 06:43 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Yeah, it is. You either put the pipe in your mouth or you don't. You choose between your kid or your favorite drug. Lot of stuff swirls around in there but in the end it comes down to that moment of clarity and choice of which one you love more. Anyone who's been there will tell you that.

And ain't no junkie goes back to the s*** not knowing what they are stepping back into.

For his family's sake I hope he walks back into rehab and it sticks. I've gotten the kind of phone call his Dad is dreading. Sympathize with the people who get to clean up the train wreck. Or that little girl who's as likely as not going to have some dirt bag "Dad" showing up loaded to borrow money or steal the microwave on her birthday. Or who gets to go to identify the body.

But don't judge him?

amen.

to add my own thoughts, chad gerlach has been provided ample opportunity to recover and repeatedly chose the wrong path. I root for him just like I would any other addict, but I'll reserve my prayers the innocent lives his selfish choices have impacted.
Old 10-05-09, 08:10 AM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by substructure
We've been over this before, I think. I can see both sides of the issue. The one about making choices and HTFU and the one about being in too deep.

I've had to go to several NA meetings with someone real close to me. When you sit in and listen to the struggles that these people go through you get a better understanding of how hard it really is. Sometimes you can't just put things away and never look back. It's a battle, physically, mentally, spiritually.

Some of us can easily put these demons aside and move on. Others cannot - no matter how hard they try.

We all have things that we struggle with. Maybe it's food. Maybe it's drugs. Maybe it's a sexual addiction. We can't judge and say, "Just stop, stupid" until we have walked in that person shoes.

I'm watching someone close to me slowly die from years of abuse. And even though this person knows he's going to quicken the process he still cannot let go. And it's not because he really doesn't want to. He can't.
+1
I think leaving his daughter sucks big time but the "he should just stop" stuff is easier said than done especially if the guy has some psych issue to top it off.
It may not be addiction but some of the road hours guys put on their bikes here and aren't on a DS's payroll makes one wonder.
Old 10-05-09, 08:33 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by daytonian
+1
I think leaving his daughter sucks big time but the "he should just stop" stuff is easier said than done especially if the guy has some psych issue to top it off.

It may not be addiction but some of the road hours guys put on their bikes here and aren't on a DS's payroll makes one wonder.
which is why gerlach's relapse is sadly unsurprising.

the fact that he dived back into cycling after sobering up was - to me - him replacing one addiction with another. i wondered what would happen during, and more importantly after the season. now i know.
Old 10-05-09, 08:43 AM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep, people have addictive personalities. They just need to find the right things to be addicted to. For Gerlach it was cycling for a while. Unfortunately the cycling season slowed down and we see where the priorities lie in his life. Very sad.

I hope he bounces back from it. Coming from parents similar to this, I hate to think what his daughter is going to go through growing up.
Old 10-05-09, 09:25 AM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

But don't judge him?

:facepalm:
Old 10-05-09, 09:36 AM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drugs are bad, mmmk
Old 10-05-09, 10:20 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The counselor in the article has it right. When Chad realizes that it's not all about himself, that he's just a guy who's behavior is destroying other people's lives, then he might man-up and change his ways. In essence Chad should open his eyes and grow up before his own family gives up on him.
Old 10-05-09, 10:38 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I tend to just zone these people out as you really can't control them. Its sad to see him destroying lives around him, and 9 times out of 10 the best thing to do is walk away from that person.

Judge me if you will but I've been in that situation and it rarely turns out well. It usually turns into the junkee destroying those around him.
Old 10-05-09, 12:05 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
If you own life has never included perdiods of serious addiction then more power to you, but it isn't so cut and dry.
It has, both personal and shared, and it is (cut and dry). There's nothing theoretical in my take on this.

You don't split addiction between "serious" and "frivolous" BTW. That's called enablement. You don't do 6 steps for a little habit.

If you're an addict you use or you don't. If you're the friend or family of an addict it's go to treatment or go away*.

What it is is simple. What it isn't is easy. It's as hard as anything you'll do.

*The lack of funding for treatment when we spend billions on interdiction is another matter.
Old 10-05-09, 12:13 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
No, it isn't. I'll spare you the soapbox diatribe of the differing perspective because you're not going to change your mind. If you own life has never included perdiods of serious addiction then more power to you, but it isn't so cut and dry. I'm not saying that what he's doing now isn't ruining other people's lives, but it's more complicated than "I'm stupid and made a bad choice."
+1

It has, both personal and shared, and it is (cut and dry). There's nothing theoretical in my take on this.
Well geez, how can anyone argue with that?

I think there is a difference between being "addicted" to something like weed and being addicted to crack, but I'm no expert like others here.

my race videos

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.