Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Opinions or experience with Easton EA70x for cyclocross?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 04:41 PM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am curious if anyone has used these for CX, and if so, what they thought about them. Are they wide enough to fit a CX tire comfortably? How does the weight compare to 32-spoke wheels? Etc. I'm not asking whether you think it's worth the money or whether I should use some hand-builts, but any relevant input is appreciated.

Old 10-06-09, 06:28 PM
Jawn P

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Redline Monocog, Redline Conquest Pro, Surly Long Haul Trucker, and a Sunday BMX bike!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got a set. Only 4 races in on them this year, but I've been beating the hell out of them and they've held up well. Still true and all that good stuff.

The only thing I'm scared of is what I'm going to do if I pop a spoke. They've got some straight pull jobbies.
Old 10-06-09, 08:59 PM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What tires are you running and do you have any or a lot of the base tape showing on the sides? I'm just wondering if they fit CX tires well, or if they're like some of the tubular rims I've used which are barely wide enough for a 23c. Also, did you happen to weigh them? I'm not a weight weenie, but I'm curious if they come in at their claimed ~1600g weight.
Old 10-06-09, 09:11 PM
shapelike
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spoke with one of the guys at Cyclocross Magazine about them and apparently they weigh in at ~1560g without skewers.

Regarding spokes, in Canada the Easton distributor typically does 1-day shipping to shops and the local reps all have replacement parts like that filling up the trunks of their cars. You can get spokes very easily if needed.

Failing that, find a utilitarian shop with a spoke cutter (more common than you might think), bend a spoke straight and get it cut to length.

I got my wheelset from Chain Reaction Cycles and ended up paying $430 when all was said and done (base price, shipping, customs, etc.).
Old 10-06-09, 09:43 PM
campyman099

Bikes: Tarmac Pro w/ SR 11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a set last year and raced them all year and have been racing them this season. I have Grifo 32's on them and the tires fit just fine, not much base tape showing. The wheels are strong and mine just got trued after a bad fall a couple weeks ago. They are pretty bulletproof and I'd buy them again. Plus, you can't beat them for the price.
Old 10-07-09, 02:37 PM
Jawn P

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Redline Monocog, Redline Conquest Pro, Surly Long Haul Trucker, and a Sunday BMX bike!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tufo T30's on mine, and fit just fine.
Old 10-07-09, 03:08 PM
slowjoe9000
Race Cycles Manager

Bikes: Felt F1, Pinarello CX, Felt Redemption

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These wheels are the best alloy cross tubis. Talking to Easton a few times and they were really developed for the cross course. Super solid, light weight, and you can never go wrong with Easton hubs. I have always been a fan. Great wheels should fit any cross tire.
Old 10-09-09, 06:25 AM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is awesome guys, thanks for all the help. I'll be ordering mine today.
Old 10-12-09, 08:13 PM
brendon_ak

Bikes: Klein Palmino, Litespeed Sienna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what about the ritcheys? they look comparable
Old 10-19-09, 08:32 AM
slowjoe9000
Race Cycles Manager

Bikes: Felt F1, Pinarello CX, Felt Redemption

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ritchey wcs protocol wheels are pretty good as well. I am not a super fan of the hubs they use. The Eastons are longer lasting and smoother in my eyes. But saying that, I know a few guys that love their Ritchey wheels and wouldn't change them.
Old 10-19-09, 09:57 AM
IKYR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just FYI...as far as I can tell the Eastons are kinlin rims with easton hubs...you can build up a set much cheaper than what they're going for now. Last year when you could snag them for around $250 they were a great deal...now not so much...

wayne
Old 10-19-09, 10:29 AM
hocker

Bikes: Road and Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IKYR
Just FYI...as far as I can tell the Eastons are kinlin rims with easton hubs...you can build up a set much cheaper than what they're going for now. Last year when you could snag them for around $250 they were a great deal...now not so much...

wayne
I got mine for $300. They seem nice, I think Easton hubs are strong and feel I got a pretty good deal. I am not a fan of the front spoke pattern and they seem a little heavy. I would get Nuevations if I did it again, just $410 right now for a 1400 gram tubular wheel set...not bad.