Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Finally! (?)

Old 10-16-18, 07:19 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
That's basically what I'm doing right now. I do have a couple personality issues, and it's hard to take negativity, but I managed to shrug it off and keep it up, now she's changed course a bit and is showing a mild level of support. I guess the alternative would have been obviously bad, being seen as unsupportive of my effort. Either way, I'm in it now.
It's not an 'official' weigh-in day, but I'm at 339.8 this morning.
I have my Surly on the workstand now, ready for its Clyde wheels, and it looks like I'm going to need to pull Jake off the wall this winter for a nice overhaul. We got ridin' to do next year.

I've talked with my brothers, who have also let themselves go to some extent. We plan to work on ourselves over the winter, and meet up in Clovis for the Tour de Taco next September to do the 60 miler.

After that. I have stripped my bucket list to ONE item: spend my 50th birthday on RAGBRAI. For that, I have a little less than two years, July 24, 2020.
Hope I can get a spot. Or we... if my brothers are still interested and ready.
Old 10-16-18, 11:49 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by velojym
That's basically what I'm doing right now. I do have a couple personality issues, and it's hard to take negativity, but I managed to shrug it off and keep it up, now she's changed course a bit and is showing a mild level of support. I guess the alternative would have been obviously bad, being seen as unsupportive of my effort. Either way, I'm in it now.
It's not an 'official' weigh-in day, but I'm at 339.8 this morning.
I have my Surly on the workstand now, ready for its Clyde wheels, and it looks like I'm going to need to pull Jake off the wall this winter for a nice overhaul. We got ridin' to do next year.

I've talked with my brothers, who have also let themselves go to some extent. We plan to work on ourselves over the winter, and meet up in Clovis for the Tour de Taco next September to do the 60 miler.

After that. I have stripped my bucket list to ONE item: spend my 50th birthday on RAGBRAI. For that, I have a little less than two years, July 24, 2020.
Hope I can get a spot. Or we... if my brothers are still interested and ready.
Ragbrai??? Nice! You from Iowa and if so what part?
Old 10-16-18, 11:54 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

I'm not from Iowa, just seen and heard enough about it from fellow club members over the years, watched a few videos. I'm from NM.
Old 10-16-18, 12:00 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well if you decide to do Ragbrai in 2020 let me know and we can meet up. That goes for anyone.
Old 10-16-18, 12:07 PM
velojym

Awesome! I'm hoping to 'inspire' my brothers to get in shape and ride it with me, but I have to accept the possibility that I'll be showing up by myself. It sure is nice to have someone to ride with.
Old 10-16-18, 01:03 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I'm not from Iowa, just seen and heard enough about it from fellow club members over the years, watched a few videos. I'm from NM.
​​​​​​​Oh yeah? Where in NM?
Old 10-16-18, 01:52 PM
velojym

Clovis.
Old 10-19-18, 07:10 AM
velojym

As of this morning, though it's not my official weekly weigh-in, I've reached a mile marker of sorts. This marks my first up-tick in weight since I started.
Yesterday morning I weighed in at 338.4.
This morning I'm at 339.

I know that weighing daily will show some variation over time, up and down, but it's still kind of a downer to see a higher number on that scale. I do know that it isn't a setback, though.
I think it just means that I've taken care of all the extra 'baggage', and I've actually merged on to the bike path, and I'm going to see my real "me" progress from here on out.

Last edited by velojym; 10-19-18 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-19-18, 12:50 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Awesome! I'm hoping to 'inspire' my brothers to get in shape and ride it with me, but I have to accept the possibility that I'll be showing up by myself. It sure is nice to have someone to ride with.
It nice but you have to do this for yourself. At one point I managed to get my whole family into living a healthier life. Thing is, they all dropped out and went back to their old unhealthy way of living.

The point being, don't let what they do affect you. YOU have to be the vanguard, and remain diligent at what you started no matter what. This has to be for you, no one else.
Old 10-19-18, 04:26 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
As of this morning, though it's not my official weekly weigh-in, I've reached a mile marker of sorts. This marks my first up-tick in weight since I started.
Yesterday morning I weighed in at 338.4.
This morning I'm at 339.

I know that weighing daily will show some variation over time, up and down, but it's still kind of a downer to see a higher number on that scale. I do know that it isn't a setback, though.
I think it just means that I've taken care of all the extra 'baggage', and I've actually merged on to the bike path, and I'm going to see my real "me" progress from here on out.
Daily weigh ins can be good and bad. Bad for the ego like you have experienced, but they’re also a good learning experience. Use the ups and downs and think about what you’ve eaten the day and night before. You’ll get an idea of how certain foods and drink will affect your weigh ins day to day. These days I still weigh in daily but I record weekly. Monday morning for me is the most repeatable.

Originally Posted by KraneXL
It nice but you have to do this for yourself. At one point I managed to get my whole family into living a healthier life. Thing is, they all dropped out and went back to their old unhealthy way of living.

The point being, don't let what they do affect you. YOU have to be the vanguard, and remain diligent at what you started no matter what. This has to be for you, no one else.
This ^^^ In the end, your life is about you, in every aspect. It’s nice to have others along for the ride, but in the end it’s a solo effort and it’s you that should be fulfilled and happy about the choices that you make
Old 10-21-18, 08:07 PM
pattrick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Bulls*#!T

If you truly feel your at your last step, than just go for it! Change is hard not only for yourself but for those around you that have not the ability yet to set off on a healthier path. Change can be a scary bit#%. Sometimes you just have to help yourself and set the example for others to follow. They may belittle you at first due to their own insecurities and issues which is understandable but you can not make them yours. Results will not only make you feel better, but give them little to no ammo to belittle you and your results.I am not saying it will be easy, just results make it easier for yourself. It's hard to help others when you cannot help yourself. I also happen to still have a 2000 Jake the Snake and it still is a worthy steed in the stable. Just tonight I have taken it out for a late day cruise, it still makes me grin a little. My advice is to follow your heart and the others will be forced albeit begrudgingly to see your results. Unfortunately for you, change is not easy for any one including your loved ones. I wish you the very best on your journey, I've been there. If you need follow up support this forum seems to be quite supportive, you're not alone. Again good luck on your journey and remember the forums open 24/7.
Old 10-21-18, 08:38 PM
velojym

Official Sunday weigh-in: 338.2

Whittling down well enough so far. Fortunately, I don't consider myself to have any eating "disorder", so moderating my intake is relatively easy.
I'm currently spending most of my exercise time on the road and treadmill on fairly vigorous walks.
I will use one of my bicycles on a stationary trainer, and the occasional outing, to get my posterior used to the saddle again, and by spring I should be, hopefully, able to start
joining with some local club rides. Before that, I'll probably roll some with the local casual rides.
Old 10-21-18, 10:27 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I think that what might be going on is that your wife feels that what you are doing is making her feel insecure, like she's somehow not part of the process and that it might be some kind of criticism of her somehow. You've got to get that straightened out. What you do for yourself is just as important as what you do for the family. Instead of feeling upset they need to feel inspired. They are a part of your improvement 100% emotionally, if not physically. And if she feels left out try to include her in your activities.

Maybe she's not going to attempt a triathlon or something but ride with her regularly. Get her a bike she truly likes, one of her choosing.
Old 10-22-18, 06:24 PM
velojym

She has a couple bikes, and used to ride with me. We also have a Santana tandem.
I'd love for her to feel inspired to ride with me, but if I put pressure on her, she tends to react badly.
So, I'm gonna continue to get myself into shape, and let her know she's welcome to join me if she'd like.

I don't have any answers, just trying to get where I need to be the best way I can. Then I'd also be strong enough to captain the tandem while she gets back up to speed.

We used to be really good at it.
Old 10-25-18, 07:28 AM
velojym

This morning, while I was chugging along on the treadmill at a local purple themed gym, the power blinked out a couple times. As we treadmill fatties lurched against the control panel when the belt suddenly stopped, the purple-shirted crew couldn't hold their mirth, and shared it amongst themselves for 8 minutes before one of them decided to make his way through the gym and restart everything that didn't come back up with the power.It was nice to see their faces, though. Usually they're glued to the screens of their phones.

I did start with spending 15 minutes on a stationary bike, and will start doing that on a regular basis, to get my keister used to the seat, and there are some muscles that need to wake up for cycling, that aren't apparently used as much for walking. Hopped on the scale: 334.8
Old 10-26-18, 07:23 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
My sister struggles with obesity. At age 54 she decided that she was tired of the attitudes towards her at work and no promotions. Her direct supervisor did her a great service and told her that her size was holding her back from promotions in the company. Today that would not go well, but it just may have added many years to her life. She joined Weight Watchers that day. In 2 years she had lost 100 pounds and started to enjoy exercising on a daily basis. Another great thing happened. She was promoted to supervisor and got another promotion 2 years later. Seems not only did her body change affect others view of her, but it also affected her view of herself.
She is retired now and still keeps up the exercise and Weight Watchers meetings. Her former company still contacts her for consulting work and she is doing just fine. Only one downside to it all is the damage to her joints carry from all the extra weight for all those years. You can shake the family attitude towards you, but it will be extremely difficult to do. Changing your mind about yourself is very hard work that takes a long time to get done. Stick with it.
Old 10-28-18, 10:20 AM
velojym

Sunday weekly weigh-in: 334

I've got the family into a form of acceptance, though they started out with a sitcom style "know your place!" attitude... you know, where a character wants to do something new and exciting, but ends up in a comical series of events leading them back to the 'normal' self that was most comfortable for those around 'em.
Old 10-28-18, 07:39 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I know that sitcom...didn't the father come back to life and then mother OD'ed?

Not my idea of the Flintstones.
Old 10-28-18, 09:56 PM
dayco

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Definitely stay with it. I'm 70 and retired and I get (or have gotten) little or no encouragement or support over the years from family members. 13 years ago I had a quadruple bypass. Two years ago I weighed 245 lbs before my gallbladder operation. Today I'm 208 lbs. I found I got the biggest bang and benefit from between doing nothing and something. I'm realistic. I burn maybe 500-600 calories on my 1-1/2 hour ride but somedays I return home and within ten minutes I've eating 500 calories....that's okay.

I normally eat lunch then take a small nap. I then take my old Huffy out for an hour and a half 14 miles ride along my bike trail. I try to do this daily, weather permitting. Nobody else in my family is interested in riding with me. That's fine. I enjoy the seasonal change, the sense of travel, freedom, being by myself and being alive.

I could say I ride for health reasons or for needed gezzer exercise when in reality I ride because it's FUN. Setup a bike that works for you and have fun with it. Do it for yourself, you deserve it. We come this way but once.
Old 10-29-18, 12:55 PM
ZEDRX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Download Myfitnesspal. I've been using it with great results. It can make choosing what you're eating a game. I'm the worst at dieting but this has really helped. You just have to make sure to input EVERYTHING you eat. Keep your head up!
Old 10-30-18, 12:30 PM
velojym

Thanks. I have my own spreadsheet and also, just to double-up, enter everything into my fitbit app.
332.2 today.

Hey, got this past the spam filter!

Schpam!!!
Old 10-31-18, 06:40 AM
velojym

End of the month check-in.
I'm at 331.8 this morning, down 19.2 from the start of the month, and 17 lbs since the "official" start of my Healthywage account.

I may still look a bit like a giant Schmoo, but working hard to change that.

Old 10-31-18, 07:58 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Nice work ... chapeau
Old 10-31-18, 06:04 PM
velojym

Horry Cwap. I'm almost a fifth of the way there, and 11.5 months to go!
If I keep this up, doing my final challenge weigh-in will be some time after I actually reach that goal.

My final goal is well below that, even, so I'll keep on keepin' on even then. I'm aiming for somewhere around 200.
Old 11-04-18, 09:54 AM
velojym

Sunday weigh-in: 330.2
Had a great hike yesterday, well on my way to being more comfortable putting my weight on a bike.
I am stalling, but not letting it stop me from keeping up the overall effort.

It's tough to get back on the bike as such a slug, when I remember how good I was before. That's ok, though. I'll get over it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.