Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Axle slot fillers? Puch mtb

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-13-19, 06:49 AM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts

what is the correct name for these slot fillers and where can I get some?

I’m going to dig through the bins to see if I can find some spare metal ones that were used on clamp-on derailleur hangers.

This is off an old Puch mtb, got it posted locally currently but the more I look it over it does have some interesting features about it (like the rear derailleur cable being routed through a hole in the rear underslung brake post), so I might decide to pull the ad and keep it for awhile. I’ve never had a Puch before.

I don’t know why I bought this thing, but I did, do I really need a reason other that that it looked interesting???

Anyway, before I get out a carving knife and try to carve a pair of these out of an old piece of 2x4 lumber, where can i get some of these gap filler/spacers? Sliding the rear wheel all the way back does not work due to the rear brake arms not allowing enough adjustment for the pads to slide far enough, so the rear wheel does need to be positioned forward in the dropout slots.

I even considered running a 700c hybrid wheel in the back which might work, but would be stuck with the 26” wheel on front which might be a bit too weird to do.
Old 06-13-19, 07:22 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
You don't really need them; the bike will work fine without them. They just facilitate locating the rear wheel in the proper position for optimum shifting, but I suspect that by now the dropouts will have marred paint showing where that position is. Just locate the rear axle at the point, tighten things up and enjoy.
Old 06-13-19, 07:38 AM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
He might not need them, but he wants them.

I'm not sure they have an official name, but you'll probably get more hits for dropout spacer. Seems like an ideal job for 3d printing, but the metal ones would probably last longer. I think I've seen chainring bolts used for this as well.
Old 06-13-19, 07:43 AM
treebound 

I’m just thinking to make things easier when putting the wheel back in. With the rear brake mounted below the chainstays it makes the fore/aft positioning of the wheel a little more critical.
Old 06-13-19, 08:03 AM
treebound 

Originally Posted by Kuromori
He might not need them, but he wants them.

I'm not sure they have an official name, but you'll probably get more hits for dropout spacer. Seems like an ideal job for 3d printing, but the metal ones would probably last longer. I think I've seen chainring bolts used for this as well.
“bicycle dropout spacer” was the magic words, thanks. Even looks like Surly makes something called Monkey Nuts.
I’ll stop at Ben’s on the way home today.
Old 06-13-19, 08:37 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Bicycle dropout axle stop

You need them to prevent potential slippage from a poor locking skewer and aids in positioning wheel alignment.

Various type available but here's a few samples.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254217485139

Or

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254193230448

A simple DIY setup is what I use. A narrow blind nut on the inside and screw (Allen socket head) on the outside. The idea is when tightened, its 'squeezed' to the dropout.
Old 06-13-19, 10:39 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
This bike is interesting and shows how companies sometime work. Puch had a frame that was good, then someone must have said we need to put the brake under the chainstay. So rather than changing the drop outs on the frame, they just added the bosses for the brake, then went the extra step and designed a way to pass the derailleur cable through the brake boss (I think that is what I read). Then they made drop out spacers to ensure that the rim was in the correct position all the time.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying this is bad. This is just the way things work sometimes. You have to press on and provide the customer with what they want even if you don't have all the pieces in place for a complete and elegant solution. It works.
Old 06-13-19, 06:58 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by treebound
I even considered running a 700c hybrid wheel in the back which might work, but would be stuck with the 26” wheel on front which might be a bit too weird to do.
Nonsense. Seen it done. A guy named Ron in Roanoke VA had a Grandis road frame that he wanted to use offroad so he added a mountain bike fork and 26" front wheel. He said it actually performed pretty well and stuck the turns but it did look odd.
Old 06-13-19, 07:03 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Monkeynuts

https://surlybikes.com/parts/monkey_nuts
Old 06-13-19, 07:25 PM
treebound 

Picked up a parts bike at a yard sale on the way home from work with good tires, plus it had a dropout spacer, win-win.

(yes, the bike is filthy, you should have seen it before I wiped it down a little.)

Test-rode it against my other 26” wheeled mtb and the other one fits me better, so this one will go. Neat, interesting bike though.
Old 06-13-19, 08:21 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
I think you may be a tad far out with your dropout stop.
Old 06-13-19, 08:57 PM
treebound 

That where it’s got to be for the brake pads to meet the rim, it is also close to where it was with the original nylon (teflon?) spacers. The brake pads are basically all the way down about as far as they’ll slide in the brakearm slots. But I’ll look at it again to see if there is a way to improve things. And I still might check-fit some 700c hybrid wheels/tires to see how they fit and if they’ll clear everything.
Old 06-14-19, 05:49 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I have filed the slots in brake calipers to get more drop on the brake pads. That caliper looks pretty beefy so might give you adequate room to explore.
Old 06-14-19, 01:00 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
if i can get my hands on one of those slot fillers to take measurements, i could 3d model them up and 3d print you some. or, i could just put the file online and you could probably have them printed out at your local library.
Old 05-16-20, 06:48 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
On my bikes that have long drop-outs, I only use a slot filler on one side, and just center the wheel between the stays. I probably started this when I didn't have enough to put two on every bike.
Old 05-16-20, 11:07 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 782 Posts
I wish these thing DID have a common-knowlege name, last time I looked online for one I had to try at least 16 word combinations before anything recognizable came up, which did include the pricey Surley "monkeynuts" but I don't think I'll ever remember them by THAT name (must have sounded very catchy to the marketing team!). IIRC I paid about $3 for the simple stamped steel jobs and thought they were slightly overpriced considering what they are, but amazing some eBay seller asks $8.99 plus another $4 to ship?! For that money I would just cobble up a stop from spare junk parts: maybe a "T-nut" without the barbs and a wide-flat-head machine screw or add a clipped flat washer...pennies not dollars.
Old 05-16-20, 11:20 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,045 Times in 1,252 Posts
That is a really cool lugged bike. Great colour, eclectic parts, original parts.
I'd keep that one too.
Old 05-17-20, 07:14 AM
treebound 

I wound up selling this one locally awhile ago. Just couldn’t get the fit right for me. The guy who bought it really liked it. The bike did have a lot of interesting aspects and features.