Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Distracted driver caused deaths and the new TN. Cell phone law

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 07-01-19, 05:41 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...an/1440405001/

It makes it an offense to have a phone in your hand while driving. Every day that I commute I see people on their phones talking or checking things. Some find the law too extreme, but when operating a motor vehicle one should always be focused entirely on doing so in an aware and safe manner. At least IMHO.

ETA... Tennessee leads the country in distract5ed driver related crashes with 37,000 in 2018.
Old 07-01-19, 05:54 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
The problem with these laws...they're practically unenforced. Only way you get a citation is if you are in a crash and a witness saw one in your hand.

Here in Nebraska we've had one of those laws for a while. Distracted driving phone use keeps going up. Even after several teenagers crashed and died as a result. One HS girl actually smartphoned herself into a near-fatal crash....survived, her friend in the passenger seat didn't...only to kill herself in another smartphone-while-driving crash less than a year later.
Old 07-01-19, 10:59 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
My sister receives her cell phone tickets in the mail with a picture of her committing the offense. Tickets are evidently not a cure for cellphoneitis. I am all for jail time for people who are involved in collisions when they were on the cell phone. I was struck by a mirror and the distracted driver had been on the cell phone.
Old 07-02-19, 11:34 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
The problem with these laws...they're practically unenforced. Only way you get a citation is if you are in a crash and a witness saw one in your hand.
Same here. Except for active school zones. There seems to always be a police presence in active school zones here and those police will ticket you.
Old 07-02-19, 02:11 PM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Seems like a slap on the wrist. Involved in accident when using your phone...$100? C'mon. Just start revoking people's licenses. It's that simple.
Old 07-02-19, 05:56 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
Our states need to mimic what happens in the UK. I've seen cyclists send police videos of them catching drivers using their phones at the wheel, and that is enough to convict them and award a 600 pound fine.
Old 07-06-19, 01:17 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Apparently it is now a "primary offense" in Florida to hold a cell phone while driving. That means you can be stopped and ticketed for the cell phone offense alone... first offense... $30.
Old 07-06-19, 02:56 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Driving is a FULL TIME JOB. But the genie's out of the bottle. Good luck trying to put it back in.
Old 07-06-19, 07:10 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Apparently it is now a "primary offense" in Florida to hold a cell phone while driving. That means you can be stopped and ticketed for the cell phone offense alone... first offense... $30.
Texting while driving is now a primary offense. You can still hold and talk on a phone, except in school zones and construction zones.
Old 07-06-19, 07:17 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Driving is a FULL TIME JOB. But the genie's out of the bottle. Good luck trying to put it back in.
I don't think this genie could ever have been kept in the bottle, so long as humans are the operators of motor vehicles.

Come to think of it...the few times it has come up on enthusiast Android forums I've seen....people get practically militant when you point out they shouldn't drive and smartphone. They'll insist that they are unique snowflakes and fantastic drivers and that they can handle it unlike the unwashed plebian masses.
Old 07-06-19, 03:43 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Texting while driving is now a primary offense. You can still hold and talk on a phone, except in school zones and construction zones.
Oh, so all ya gotta do is swing the phone to your ear and all is fine... Figures... Florida...
Old 07-06-19, 04:02 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...an/1440405001/

It makes it an offense to have a phone in your hand while driving. Every day that I commute I see people on their phones talking or checking things. Some find the law too extreme, but when operating a motor vehicle one should always be focused entirely on doing so in an aware and safe manner. At least IMHO.

ETA... Tennessee leads the country in distract5ed driver related crashes with 37,000 in 2018.
OK, no insult intended and maybe I'm reading or interpreting incorrectly. Tennessee's population is about 7 million. New York State's is about 20 million and California's is almost 40 million. That said, how can Tenessee lead the nation in distracted driver's crashes?
Old 07-06-19, 04:56 PM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
None taken. I am not sure if that is sheer numbers or per capita.
I do know that enforcing that law here would be like shooting ducks in a barrel.
Old 07-07-19, 05:22 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Anytime that is anytime a driver is involved in an accident, his/her phone should be taken and records checked if they were on the phone at the time. I so the fine or judgement should be doubled!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-19, 05:37 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
There was a very credible and widely publicised university study (Ivy League, IIRC) a few years back that got a lot of media play, and as I recall, it stated that the relationship between cell phone usage and vehicle accidents, is higher than the relationship between alcohol usage and accidents. Everybody, almost universally, condemns the use of them while driving, yet nothing substantive gets done. I believe a major reason is that the telecom lobby in Washington is obviously against it, though this never gets mentioned.
Until they make the financial penalty rival multi-hundred-dollar speeding tickets, and even DUI's, there's just not the incentive for police agencies to devote the time and manpower to it.
Why chase down cars, and write a $50 ticket, when you can park in the shade under a bridge, zapping distant cars with a laser, and write $3-500 tickets ?
My town has recently gotten serious about it, but they're going after ALL distracted driving, to the point of idiocy. They recently had cops disguised as a road crew, near a popular Chick-Filet, and they were flagging cars to be pulled over if they saw the driver leave the parking lot eating a french fry !!! (as reported in local news).
Screw that !!! Bust the idiots palying with their stupid cell phones !! I've never been nearly run off the road, on my bike and car, by people eating french fries.

Last edited by Brocephus; 07-08-19 at 04:05 AM.
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 07-07-19, 07:35 PM
KraneXL

I can't go out a single day without have some cell phone zombie ram into me. The scary thing is, some people drive around in the same fixed gaze state they walk in. In several of my impromptu tests half of all motorist are looking down a their cell phones while driving. Its terrifying.

You can do a lot of damage in those few seconds. No wonder "I didn't see him" is such a common excuse after an accident. If I were the judge my first question would be, where were you looking?
Old 07-08-19, 07:27 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
It seems like a lot of us are in agreement for more enforcement and heavier fines.

But from the drivers' persective, heavier fines are nothing more than a cash-grab and stricter enforcement makes it more complicated to conceal your texting- which from their point of view distracts even further.

This is the kind of logic we have to deal with. These are the kind of people politicians connect with to get themselves elected.
Old 07-11-19, 05:04 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
The problem with these laws...they're practically unenforced. Only way you get a citation is if you are in a crash and a witness saw one in your hand....
Did a bike run down the MUP this month. Lost count (while waiting at a traffic light) the number of cell phone users while driving.... We have the same law here in Georgia.... These laws are just a police/political placebo.

Guess I wouldn't score any points for pointing this out to the authorities. Still, makes one want to do an episode of Big Fat Fail, or yell out (what was that card game )... ah, yes, "BULL S(P)IT!"
Old 07-11-19, 07:05 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Daniel4
It seems like a lot of us are in agreement for more enforcement and heavier fines.

But from the drivers' perspective, heavier fines are nothing more than a cash-grab and stricter enforcement makes it more complicated to conceal your texting- which from their point of view distracts even further.

This is the kind of logic we have to deal with. These are the kind of people politicians connect with to get themselves elected.
On the contrary, I'm agreeing that there is a problem and that we need to create more awareness. However, I'm the last person on earth to call for more laws. We have enough laws already in place to cover all of that.
Old 07-15-19, 04:38 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
On the contrary, I'm agreeing that there is a problem and that we need to create more awareness.
Actually, there is no shortage of "awareness", at all. It's widely known that it's dangerous, irresponsible, unnecessary, stupid, and illegal. The problem is that huge segments of society have an abundance of a near-sociopathic lack of concern for anyone else, and complete disregard for authority and laws.
The only thing that seems to even remotely get the attention of the phone junkies, is when their local law enforcement starts cracking down in a big way. But even then, people just try and be more carfely about getting caught, but I'd don;t believe anything is going to curb what is clearly a full-blown addiction.
Old 07-15-19, 05:05 PM
Rick

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
Actually, there is no shortage of "awareness", at all. It's widely known that it's dangerous, irresponsible, unnecessary, stupid, and illegal. The problem is that huge segments of society have an abundance of a near-sociopathic lack of concern for anyone else, and complete disregard for authority and laws.
The only thing that seems to even remotely get the attention of the phone junkies, is when their local law enforcement starts cracking down in a big way. But even then, people just try and be more carfely about getting caught, but I'd don;t believe anything is going to curb what is clearly a full-blown addiction.
I agree that the current laws have very little effect on cell phone usage. The cost of enforcing our current laws keeps enforcement down. Nobody is serious about enforcing the law so these crimes not accidents will continue.
Old 07-16-19, 07:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
If they really want people to take the laws seriously, license suspensions are by far the biggest deterrent short of actual jail time. Fines are just add-ons to the costs of driving, the consequences of license suspensions are much worse, and people take them very seriously as a threat. For a lot of people, it's the difference between having a job or not, even if the suspensions are relatively short.
Old 07-16-19, 08:31 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
My sister receives her cell phone tickets in the mail with a picture of her committing the offense
where is this happening?
Old 07-23-19, 11:11 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Same here. Except for active school zones. There seems to always be a police presence in active school zones here and those police will ticket you.
The cops were out by the grade school I used to ride by after that law came out here in Illinois. I was hoping they start ticketing the dangerous drivers I saw there on a regular basis, but they didn't and the dangerous drivers didn't seem to be bothered by the cop siting there.
Old 07-26-19, 02:28 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Here in Nebraska we've had one of those laws for a while. Distracted driving phone use keeps going up.
Same here in Maryland. Law enforcement makes all these excuses, not to enforce the law.

But it is more than illegal use of a cell-phone.

Today, I was the passenger in my elderly mother's car, as she was driving(I don't have a license). She kept commenting on what she saw. From the odd shape n' color of another house. To the color of another car. It is fine to be 'happy about life'. But when a driver is more focused on 'entertaining themselves'. Instead of focusing on the road. They become a danger to themselves', and other road users.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.