Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Warning about CyclingSingles.com

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-14-19, 05:05 PM
evagoblogh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Due to misleading statements on their Home Page that it was free to register and thinking that I saw that one could also message for free I joined (should also have on that home page, a disclaimer that one must be a PAID member to utilize it) and became alarmed that my birthday publicly displayed which as a victim of i.d. theft concerned me greatly and last but not least all the answers that I laboriously filled out were wrong on the final profile. Another reason I joined was there was a link from American Cycling Association which I felt was a reputable company that had a link to it. They later told me that they had no connection to the site and it was printed a long, long time ago and they never checked it out, but will remove it.

I used the contact us form on their site, got an error message, called their number which was a google voice one (this was from a link on their website which said customer support and led you to a site that was an LLC company of White Buffalo Ventures), and name on the google voice message, did not match the name of anyone on their staff which consists of only three people, wrote to everyone that I possibly could on their site asking them to delete my profile (I also found out that there WAS a charge not easy to find on the dating website) no response. When I called the same number the second time, the number had been disconnected and when I called from another phone wondering if they blocked my call, it was still disconnected.

The worse that can happen is that my profile would NOT be deleted (no worries because as an unpaid member it's virtually useless, can't contact anyone and vice versa) but since it IS paid, want to warn others who are PAID members that if they have a problem, they may not be able to contact anyone.
Old 08-14-19, 05:30 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
So sorry to hear of this. I hope an especially nasty future awaits those who prey on the lonely. Best wishes and trust you'll find someone soon! It's never too late
Old 08-14-19, 05:35 PM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks, for posting the warning. It's nice and helpful when others do that, helping warn others so that they don't fall prey to certain sites or companies.
Old 08-14-19, 05:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Cycling Singles is till around? Who knew? That sight is from the mid to late-2000s and never had much content.

And according to the site, you can receive messages without paying. Having done on-line dating, that's common. In order to respond you need to become a paying member.
Old 08-14-19, 05:41 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Originally Posted by anon06
Thanks, for posting the warning. It's nice and helpful when others do that, helping warn others so that they don't fall prey to certain sites or companies.
It was a legit site at one time. As I note above, having to pay to respond is typical. Even Match.com is set up that way.

BTW...A mildly amusing thread from 12 years ago:

https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/26817...g-singles.html

I love OP's remark about wishing the site was as popular as MySpace.