Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Driver Repays a Kindness—Breaks Stereotype

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-19, 12:03 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts

Every once in a while, a driver does something nice for a cyclist. That happened to me yesterday.

I was in foggy Sky Londa in the Santa Cruz Mountains, at the summit of Highway 84, ready for a speedy descent back to sunny Woodside. 84 is a nice, twisty road with excellent pavement — a fun and fast ride if you enjoy technical descents. And I do.

CA-84 from Skyline Blvd to Portola Rd, Santa Cruz Mountains, California

I often catch up to motorists on the way down 84, so it's nice to ride this road on weekdays when there's little traffic. But as I'm riding the straight and flat upper section, I hear a "honk honk" behind me. It's a white pickup truck, wanting to pass. Drat! Do I pull over and let him pass, only to ride his bumper? Or do I stay in the lane and prevent him from passing?

Thinking it's better to have a boring ride than an angry truck driver, I pull over immediately, and he passes.

Of course, I catch up with him after a couple of curves. I keep a respectful distance of a few car lengths, resigned to completing the descent at a slower page.

But then something I never expected to happen, happens. The truck driver pulls over and signals me to pass.

Amazing! A pickup truck driver giving way for a faster cyclist.

Kindness repaid. Stereotype broken.

It almost makes up for all those other pickup truck drivers who yell insults, hurl things from their opened windows, "teach me a lesson" with a close pass, or simply raise their middle fingers.

Almost.

Old 08-20-19, 05:21 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Proper canyon etiquette is always a nice surprise.
Likes For Princess_Allez:
Old 08-20-19, 06:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Unheard of and awesome!

Imagine what he told his family over dinner...
Old 08-21-19, 04:47 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Bad news seems to be way more attention getting than good news. I'm happy to see good interaction between people.

Just a few days ago I was riding the bike in town when approaching an intersection to a small street, a pickup was signalling a turn in front of me. He was towing a large Cigarette type speed boat from the town launch ramp a few hundred feet away. I stopped and waved him through which momentarily made his life easier. I got a friendly wave in return and maybe as he encounters cyclists on the road he will see them as considerate human beings. I grew up in a rural and agricultural town and consideration was part of living in such a place. This is called building community. I'm appalled at the behavior reported every day in the news. I suppose such reported antisocial behavior is due to a feeling of being passed over and disenfranchised by society.
Likes For berner:
Old 08-21-19, 06:42 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Love hearing that!

My club has more positive encounters than negative - cars waving our group through 4-way stops, etc. But the best...

... on our weekend ride a while back - same route every Saturday; 60-mile suburban to rural route - 12-15 of us got passed by a county cop. He had to gun it and pass on a double yellow. One mile later, we see him - sitting in the intersection where we have a stop sign, cross-traffic does not. Blue lights on - waves us by. He passes us again - blocks another intersection. Last time was where the road dumps into a 4-lane. He was there, blocking only the south bound lanes - he knew we were turning right/south. Only thing missing was a helicopter overhead. Felt like pros.

We considered posting on the department's FB page - thanking him. Decided there was a chance he'd get in trouble from his captain... and definitely would catch hell from local non-cyclists. Our waves had to suffice.

Last edited by Zaskar; 08-21-19 at 06:46 AM.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 08-21-19, 08:05 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Motorists on gravel frequently allow cyclists to pass.

-Tim-
Old 08-21-19, 11:21 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Kudos.

Most motorists are reasonably patient and respectful. IMO only 1% might be French Showers. Problem is that on a given ride you may interact with 100+ cars so more likely than not to have a problem.
Old 08-21-19, 11:23 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
#NotAllPickupTruckDrivers
Old 08-21-19, 11:23 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Motorists on gravel frequently allow cyclists to pass.

-Tim-
This has been my experience, too. Sometimes I wouldn't even use the word allow, they're just crawling because they don't want to ding their car.
Old 08-21-19, 11:50 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
...But then something I never expected to happen, happens. The truck driver pulls over and signals me to pass.

Kindness repaid. Stereotype broken.

It almost makes up for all those other pickup truck drivers who yell insults, hurl things from their opened windows, "teach me a lesson" with a close pass, or simply raise their middle fingers.

Almost.
Yeah, I've had this happen a couple of times this summer. What a pleasant surprise! They got a friendly wave as I pulled ahead.
Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 08-21-19, 01:41 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
Yeah, I've had this happen a couple of times this summer. What a pleasant surprise! They got a friendly wave as I pulled ahead.
What the heck, throw in a toothy smile as well for a bonus.
Old 08-21-19, 01:44 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

But then something I never expected to happen, happens. The truck driver pulls over and signals me to pass.

And then he proceeded down to Sand Hill Road, parked his truck at the office, and jumped on his custom Pinarello.
Old 08-21-19, 01:45 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar

We considered posting on the department's FB page - thanking him. Decided there was a chance he'd get in trouble from his captain... and definitely would catch hell from local non-cyclists. Our waves had to suffice.
Yeah, probably. Although perhaps a generic - "Thanks officer X for looking out for our cycling group this afternoon!"
Old 08-21-19, 05:39 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Consider this....no more stereotypes.
Old 08-21-19, 07:14 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Love hearing that!

My club has more positive encounters than negative - cars waving our group through 4-way stops, etc. But the best...

... on our weekend ride a while back - same route every Saturday; 60-mile suburban to rural route - 12-15 of us got passed by a county cop. He had to gun it and pass on a double yellow. One mile later, we see him - sitting in the intersection where we have a stop sign, cross-traffic does not. Blue lights on - waves us by. He passes us again - blocks another intersection. Last time was where the road dumps into a 4-lane. He was there, blocking only the south bound lanes - he knew we were turning right/south. Only thing missing was a helicopter overhead. Felt like pros.

now that is a cool story.
Old 08-21-19, 07:27 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Bad news seems to be way more attention getting than good news. I'm happy to see good interaction between people.
Then there's confirmation bias for everyone who's been trained to respond to the outrage ecosystem much of the online world is a part of... For instance, YouTube keeps recommending stuff to get me riled up. I don't do facebook, that joint is the pits.

Originally Posted by berner
I suppose such reported antisocial behavior is due to a feeling of being passed over and disenfranchised by society.
Yeah, divide and conquer. It's the cookie gif. And when the culture is degraded past a certain point, game theory dictates that courtesy is a liability...

Last edited by Kimmo; 08-21-19 at 07:30 PM.