Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II

Old 10-08-09, 01:48 PM
Oregon Southpaw
Larger Chainring

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Circuit. Bike-Boom-Puegeot. First "real bike" Trek 720 Hybrid in gross disrepair.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not my size really, but I really really want a filet-brazed Schwinn to rehab (for cheap) and I'm wondering if this might be it:

https://corvallis.craigslist.org/bik/1411497126.html

Looks like it could be a Super Sport or Sports Tourer, anyone know from that crappy picture? (With my luck i'm sure its a varsity or continental)
Old 10-08-09, 01:55 PM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Oregon Southpaw
(With my luck i'm sure its a varsity or continental)
Your luck holds true -- it's a Continental.

The Super Sport or Sport Tourer of this era would have a round headbadge.

Like this ...

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...410405984.html

Bob
Old 10-08-09, 03:21 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
18 spd Schwinn Voyager SP - $190

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/bik/1412008418.html

Voyager SP complete with pump, water bottle and Cannondale bags (4)
Black finish. Brackets hold bags for quick attach and removal
Finger-tip shift levers @ end of handle bars.

Last edited by cb400bill; 10-08-09 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-08-09, 05:28 PM
nikkorod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Definitely a varsity or continental. The headbadge is a dead giveaway. Sport Tourers had three piece cranks as well. The headbadge on a super sport/sports tourer was round and siver with red.
Old 10-08-09, 06:28 PM
Everhandy
Freedom Fighter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
18 spd Schwinn Voyager SP - $190

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/bik/1412008418.html

Voyager SP complete with pump, water bottle and Cannondale bags (4)
Black finish. Brackets hold bags for quick attach and removal
Finger-tip shift levers @ end of handle bars.

Gone already. What a deal!!
Old 10-08-09, 07:29 PM
DavidW56

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Anyone in Eastern Nebraska or Southern Iowa, check this out: red and white Centurion LeMans RS, Shopgoodwill auction ending 10/11/09 5:00 PM PT, bid stands at just $12.00. https://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=5326144

Also, a "white Miyata Alumiclass with CrMo tubing frame, SunTour 6000 Accushift, Nova P3000 S Tange Japan. " Auction ends 10/12/09 5:00 PM PT, bid stands at just $26.00

Both bikes are pickup only, though.
Old 10-08-09, 07:43 PM
Everhandy
Freedom Fighter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1968 Schwinn Paramount Mint Condition

Here's one I found at an LBS, a 1968 Schwinn Paramount in pristine condition. All original Campy. The owner wants $2K. Turned down offers of $1800. If I had the extra cash laying around, it would be in my basement right now, on display. I can help broker a deal if anyone is interested.

Web album with more pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/everhand...eat=directlink
Old 10-08-09, 08:50 PM
CameronC
Cam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I this worth anything near what the guy is asking??

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/1412745364.html

I have here a gloss black centurion accordo road bike for sale. The bike rides SMOOTHLY and shifts SMOOTHLY! Very fast bike. GREAT condition with minimal scratches. 55 cm!

-CR-MO double butted tubes
-CR-MO steel fork blade
-Exage Action front derailleur
-Exage Action rear derailleur
-Exage Action brake levers and clamps
-Exage Sport crankset
-Shimano LX shifters
-Specialized bottle cage
-Bontrager saddle
-700x28C wheels
-Forte tires.

It is $280

Old 10-08-09, 09:12 PM
Everhandy
Freedom Fighter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CameronC

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/1412745364.html

I have here a gloss black centurion accordo road bike for sale. The bike rides SMOOTHLY and shifts SMOOTHLY! Very fast bike. GREAT condition with minimal scratches. 55 cm!

-CR-MO double butted tubes
-CR-MO steel fork blade
-Exage Action front derailleur
-Exage Action rear derailleur
-Exage Action brake levers and clamps
-Exage Sport crankset
-Shimano LX shifters
-Specialized bottle cage
-Bontrager saddle
-700x28C wheels
-Forte tires.

It is $280

Here's what I do. If I'm not sure what a bike is worth, I call or email the seller and ask "Where did you come up with this price?". Make the seller justify the price, that's his job. And simply saying it's clean and/or excellent is not enough. What is the price history of the item they are selling? If they can't answer the question, you have them in the palm of your hand.

One warning, the clever seller will say "I've seen these for sale for the same price or better", you're respond should be, "but what did they actually sell for?" Asking price and selling price are two different things.

Now. if you're the one selling and someone throws that line at you, I simply say, "have you seen any cheaper? if so, let me know where and I'll go buy one myself". Now they are putty in my hands.

Looking at that Centurion, it looks pretty nice to me. You don't see too many like that around. Perhaps $200? Who really knows, the market is fickle right now.
Old 10-08-09, 09:25 PM
CameronC
Cam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much Jim. It is in my area, perfect size and looks pretty clean.
I will see it in person, and take your advise.

Thanks again.
Old 10-08-09, 09:36 PM
Everhandy
Freedom Fighter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much Jim. It is in my area, perfect size and looks pretty clean.
I will see it in person, and take your advise.

Thanks again.
You know, after a second look, that's a pretty nice bike. Lugged steel frame, good quality Shimano components, Aero style levers, Biopace crank, downtube shifters (very cool). Very nice indeed. A real workhorse.

It's very similar to my '95 Le Tour. I have the Biopace crank and it is very kind on my knees. I look for bikes with it now. I bet that one rides very nice.

Don't let the seller know you're that interested. Many lengthy pauses give sellers distress. Hang around and say nothing for long periods of time and the guy will give you the bike just to get rid of you!
Old 10-08-09, 09:52 PM
CameronC
Cam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lengthy pauses could lead to trespassing charges, so I will try to walk that fine line.
I put the bike rack in the car, so I guess it is up to the bike Gods.
Old 10-09-09, 06:09 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,364 Times in 1,382 Posts
For a bike with a chrome-moly frame, I generally say $300, but your market may not bear that price. In my eyes, $280 is a good price, and it appears to be in good condition.

My approach in situations like this: I say I'm interested. I go look. If it is everything it appeared to be in the craigslist ad, I drop the price and ask: "Would you accept $260?" Then I accept whatever the answer is. Usually, I get a yes without hesitation. There was one bike where the asking price was $75 and I offered $60. He came back with a counteroffer of $65, and I accepted immediately. If he had said $75 firm, I would have accepted that, too. But it never hurts to ask to lower the price.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-09-09, 07:29 AM
Everhandy
Freedom Fighter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
For a bike with a chrome-moly frame, I generally say $300, but your market may not bear that price. In my eyes, $280 is a good price, and it appears to be in good condition.

My approach in situations like this: I say I'm interested. I go look. If it is everything it appeared to be in the craigslist ad, I drop the price and ask: "Would you accept $260?" Then I accept whatever the answer is. Usually, I get a yes without hesitation. There was one bike where the asking price was $75 and I offered $60. He came back with a counteroffer of $65, and I accepted immediately. If he had said $75 firm, I would have accepted that, too. But it never hurts to ask to lower the price.
This is a typical buying approach and one that sellers expect. That's why they always factor in the "spread" into the asking price, knowing full well that they will get offers from 10-20% below what they are asking.

The supreme law of negotiations is to never suggest a price first. The first one to suggest a price loses the negotiation. You could offer $280 on a $300 bike and get the offer accepted and walk away thinking you got a good deal when the guy (or gal) may have been willing to sell for $150!

Always put the asking price to the test. "How did you come up with this price?"
You'll find most sellers pull the price out of their butts.
I like to draw a price from the seller by asking what their bottom line is. That is the best starting point. Quite often, you can get the price below their bottom line with some rational discussion.
Do your homework and don't be afraid to haggle, that's half the fun of buying something.

If a buyer states "firm" in his ad, then that means he(or she) is willing to outbid you, the buyer during the negotiation process. In effect, they are buying their own bike. I generally stay away from these people because they tend to be arrogant and unreasonable.
Old 10-09-09, 07:45 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I recently bought a '96 Trek 1220 in almost mint condition. I had to replace the original tires, the cords were rotten. The guy I bought it from ask what I would give him for it, I said what do you want. He wanted $75, I bought it, I was willing to pay him up to $150 but he didn't know that.
He asked me if I wanted to know what he paid for it at a rummage sale and I said no.
It has turned into my daily rider.
Old 10-09-09, 08:17 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I think at a certain point, if you know it's an amazing deal, you just pay and don't barter. I picked up a fantastic condition raleigh sports with a $40 asking price. It had new tires, new pads and new indicator chain...I knew it wouldn't need much work and that it would easily flip for $125 no effort at all. I'm not going to low ball in that situation, especially when I know good deals mean LOTS of people willing to pay the asking price. I bought a trek 660 for 150 last night...same situation. It was a steal, why argue?
Old 10-09-09, 10:06 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 1,498 Posts
Touring Frameset - Koga Miyata - $150 (san jose east) 54cm

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/1413062094.html

Old 10-09-09, 10:12 AM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Everhandy
Here's what I do. If I'm not sure what a bike is worth, I call or email the seller and ask "Where did you come up with this price?".
No offense, but as a seller I wouldn't even reply to an email like this. Reason being that by the time we had our little back and forth email exchange on how and why, the bike will have long been sold to someone else.

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-09-09, 11:03 AM
Everhandy
Freedom Fighter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
No offense, but as a seller I wouldn't even reply to an email like this. Reason being that by the time we had our little back and forth email exchange on how and why, the bike will have long been sold to someone else.
As a seller, if you have that many people interested in your bike, your asking price is too low and I as a buyer would recognize that and not use the "where did you get that price" ploy on you. That question, is a technique used to help drop the resistance of a seller to negotiate. It doesn't always work, some people get put on the spot and get defensive. Most people however, are quick to respond and trap themselves. The vast majority of people selling bikes have little knowledge of sales psychology and even those that consider themselves great sales people posses just enough knowledge to get themselves in trouble. The old saying is that there is no greater sucker than a salesman.

Of course, any question of a probing nature should be asked with the greatest of tact and at the right time.
The skill is in knowing when and how to ask the right questions.

Maybe I should stop giving free advice like this. I should be charging for it. What kind of salesman am I?
Old 10-09-09, 11:16 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Ever...with all due respect, I think you're taking this far too seriously. This isn't Wallstreet and we're not negotiating the end of a war. We're buying and selling bikes, primarily cheap bikes, from a drive way. As others have said...if you;re approaching this as a way to make a living, you're in trouble regardless of sales and purchase prices.

Sales man psychology? This isn't a $5,000 purchase you have to negotiate off the wife. For the most part, people are reasonably educated buyers and sellers and have a general idea of something's worth. Not always, but usually. If something is an incredibly good deal, why bother trying to skin out an extra $10 anyway? You go after the ones that you know you can make a reasonable profit from, and you avoid the ones that are incredibly over priced. If they;re insanely over priced, they won't sell and the person will eventually figure out that he needs to lower his asking price anyway.

One question that I have involves people talking about purchasing at flea markets...the flea markets here (Philly metro area) ALWAYS sell pure junk at too high a price...like $75 Magmas. If they do have something nice, they always know and price accordingly. In my experience, flea marketers research the value of things before they sell them.
Old 10-09-09, 11:17 AM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
64 Paramount track - $1000 OBO

If this was anywhere near me I'd already be in the car but alas......

Old 10-09-09, 12:06 PM
Christian.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eddy Merckx 56cm in local KSL Listing - Utah

Eddy Merckx 56cm in local KSL Listing - Utah - $1000 OBO
This is a great bike, classic steel frame with Durace shifters and Durace derailleur. One of the best bikes of its time. Got it from mother-in-law who hardly rode it b/c she hated clipping in. Probably has less than 1000 miles on it with new classic white wall tires. Some wear-tear on the shifters but overall in great condition. This is the price they are going on ebay for the same bike so if you have an offer, please make it, cause I am reasonable.

email me is best. thanks. Anthony @ 801.635.5515 - Link to e-mail seller directly through KSL site.

I would be happy to facilitate this for anyone interested for gas and small travel time reimbursement? I am not looking to make money, just to get reimbursed and to give the bike a new good owner. I am sure I can work with a local bike shop to have it packaged and shipped appropriately. I am 6', 190 lb. rider for anyone interested in knowing how this bikes fits my body type. PM me if interested or you can contact the seller directly through the above link.

Take care,
Christian.
Old 10-09-09, 12:19 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
It is $280
$280 is on the high side. It doesnt even have Shimano 105 componets.....In the Tampa market $200-225 is a fair out the door ready to ride price

Originally Posted by Everhandy
Here's what I do. "Where did you come up with this price?". Make the seller justify the price, that's his job. now.

I'd kick you to the curb so fast......Its not my job to justify my price, I can advertise it for whatever I want. Its the buyers job to determine if the bikes worth my asking price. Dont like my price? Buy something else.
Old 10-09-09, 03:38 PM
Everhandy
Freedom Fighter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd kick you to the curb so fast......Its not my job to justify my price, I can advertise it for whatever I want. Its the buyers job to determine if the bikes worth my asking price. Dont like my price? Buy something else.[/QUOTE]

Oh, you must be one of those "FIRM" guys.
Old 10-09-09, 03:43 PM
Everhandy
Freedom Fighter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Ever...with all due respect, I think you're taking this far too seriously. This isn't Wallstreet and we're not negotiating the end of a war. We're buying and selling bikes, primarily cheap bikes, from a drive way. As others have said...if you;re approaching this as a way to make a living, you're in trouble regardless of sales and purchase prices.

Sales man psychology? This isn't a $5,000 purchase you have to negotiate off the wife. For the most part, people are reasonably educated buyers and sellers and have a general idea of something's worth. Not always, but usually. If something is an incredibly good deal, why bother trying to skin out an extra $10 anyway? You go after the ones that you know you can make a reasonable profit from, and you avoid the ones that are incredibly over priced. If they;re insanely over priced, they won't sell and the person will eventually figure out that he needs to lower his asking price anyway.

One question that I have involves people talking about purchasing at flea markets...the flea markets here (Philly metro area) ALWAYS sell pure junk at too high a price...like $75 Magmas. If they do have something nice, they always know and price accordingly. In my experience, flea marketers research the value of things before they sell them.
Yes, you're right but, do bike flippers only buy $30 bikes? Just wondering.

I do get carried away though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.