Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cross Tires for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 01:44 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Cross Tires for Dummies

I demonstrated my total ignorance of tire tread recently on a thread in the racing sub-forum. I'm guessing I'm not alone on this, particularly among beginning cross racers.

It seemed like it would be a good idea to start a thread that explained several aspects of tire tread in a simple, newbie-friendly way. Every web page I've found seems to assume at least that you can tell the difference between a file tread and a tractor tread or whatever else, which for me hasn't been a good assumption.

I thought maybe if I kicked something off and people who know what they're talking about added some input, this could morph into a good sticky thread.

To that end, I thought I'd begin by throwing up some pictures of various tires and ask what you can tell me about it based on the tread pattern. Like, what would you call this tread pattern? What conditions would it be best for? What are its weaknesses? What makes it different/similar to the other tires? Tell me things like that.

By the way, I'm borrowing all these images from Bike Tires Direct on the good faith that they'd be OK with that as long as I gave them a plug. Go buy some tires from them so they don't get mad at me.

Schwalbe Racing Ralph
Type: All around

Schwalbe CX Pro Light

Kenda Kross Supreme

Michelin Mud2
Type: Mud

Michelin Jet
Type: File

Continental Speed King Cross

Maxxis MiMo CX

Geax Mezcal
Type: File

Feel free to comment on just one tire, or a few. Please don't "quote" the pictures.

If I'm missing some important tire type, let me know.

Last edited by Andy_K; 09-16-09 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Took a guess at file types
Old 09-16-09, 02:02 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
You're missing grifo and fango.

If you can only have one set of tires, go for grifos. Good for everything.
Old 09-16-09, 02:16 PM
meanwhile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If this thread is for dummies, it's worth saying that the UCI forbids the use of tyres wider than 35mm... The Marathon Extreme - sibling to the Marathon Supreme and the Ultremo racing tyre, but with added durability and off road grip - comes in 35mm: Marathon claim that this is a very fast roller - just a notch behind the Supreme and Marathon Racer. It's meant for adventure touring.
Old 09-16-09, 02:18 PM
jonestr

Bikes: Neuvation F100, Surly Cross Check, Van Dessel Holeshot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.velonews.com/article/85785

every tire listed will fit in one of these categories
Old 09-16-09, 02:27 PM
ottothecow

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what do I want for chicago? clinchers and price is a factor
Old 09-16-09, 03:43 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by jonestr
https://www.velonews.com/article/85785

every tire listed will fit in one of these categories
Thanks. Great link. That will be a good start. I'll try to see if I can categorize the tires above to see what I learned.

That link gives specific evaluations of each specific tire it reviews. What I'd like to accomplish with this thread is to provide something so that anyone who reads it can look at any tire and figure out, based on tread, what type of tread it is and what it will be good (and bad) for. Ideally, they'd also be able to look at two tires in the same category and guess what their relative strengths and weaknesses will be.

Edit: looking closer, I'm not sure I can tell from that link what differentiates mud tires from all-arounders.
Old 09-16-09, 03:49 PM
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was say mich muds are a better option than the grifo for a all around clincher tire.

then i would go with the racing ralph followed by the grifo.

then perhaps hutch bulldogs.

other than that wake me when you are ready for tubulars
Old 09-16-09, 04:01 PM
Andy_K 

Alright, I took some guesses at the types for each of these. How did I do?

File tread, I think I understand. It's basically flat with just enough texture to grab a rough surface, so it will be fast on flat, hard surfaces but provide some traction.

All around? Looks basically like a skinny mountain bike tire. I know mountain bikers would add some further descriptors within this type. I'm wondering about things like tread shape, height and spacing. What effect do they have?

Mud? Putting the Mud2 in this category was a gimme. From what I've been able to tell, the key here is having blocks far enough apart that they don't collect mud. It seems like skinnier is better. Is short tread also good? Basically, I'm not sure what moves something from "all-around" to "mud" but the distinction seems to be important. My races will all be mudders within a month, so I really want to understand this.
Old 09-16-09, 04:08 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Lithuania
other than that wake me when you are ready for tubulars
I've been surprised to see that a lot of the articles that try to address this topic start with a long discussion about whether you should choose clinchers or tubulars and then it always boils it down to, "you should choose tubulars" without qualification or exception.

I completely believe that, but since I'm trying to make this a discussion for newbs like myself, I'm not sure it's worth even bringing tubulars into the picture other than to mention that as the ultimate destination.

Personally, I'm at an ability level where it's hard to justify replacing the stock tires that came with my bike, never mind sinking $300+ into a wheelset and another $200 into tires. But I do want to understand my choices so when I replace the stock tires I won't just get tires because they look cool.
Old 09-16-09, 04:25 PM
MJH2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ottothecow
what do I want for chicago? clinchers and price is a factor
Michelin Mud2's

You'll run into relatively little mud, and they'll work great. If you're doing the chicago cyclocross cup, one set will last you a couple seasons.
Old 09-16-09, 08:29 PM
jonestr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Alright, I took some guesses at the types for each of these. How did I do?

File tread, I think I understand. It's basically flat with just enough texture to grab a rough surface, so it will be fast on flat, hard surfaces but provide some traction.

All around? Looks basically like a skinny mountain bike tire. I know mountain bikers would add some further descriptors within this type. I'm wondering about things like tread shape, height and spacing. What effect do they have?

Mud? Putting the Mud2 in this category was a gimme. From what I've been able to tell, the key here is having blocks far enough apart that they don't collect mud. It seems like skinnier is better. Is short tread also good? Basically, I'm not sure what moves something from "all-around" to "mud" but the distinction seems to be important. My races will all be mudders within a month, so I really want to understand this.
That sounds about right, but I am not necessarily a mud expert as I havent ridden bikes off road in a muddy environment for 10+ years. The tire you choose for your mud really depends on the mud you have though, but in general the ability to clear mud and the ability to get at stiffer soil, usually meaning a smaller tire, are what you want.

you would have a hard time going wrong with mich muds, but if you have a chance just chat up someone like Erik Tonkin on the subject.
Old 09-16-09, 11:32 PM
myclem
Señor Member

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal, Van Dessel Gin & Trombones, Rawland Stag, Bianchi SASS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What would help most on off camber turns in wet grass and mud typical of PacNW?
I've currently got WTB Cross Wolf tires thinking the side knobs would help. What do you guys think?
Also, Is there a noticeable performance difference between 700x32 and 700x35?
Old 09-17-09, 12:04 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Someone I've talked to recommended challenge grifo's in a 32 for every condition.

If they're good enough for him, I'm pretty sure they're good enough for anyone...

35 will be grippier than 32, but will be slower on the flatter stuff and road-ish stuff. 32 should be more than enough for most courses.
Old 09-17-09, 04:17 AM
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by myclem
What would help most on off camber turns in wet grass and mud typical of PacNW?
I've currently got WTB Cross Wolf tires thinking the side knobs would help. What do you guys think?
Also, Is there a noticeable performance difference between 700x32 and 700x35?
mich mud2s
Old 09-17-09, 06:04 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
You're missing grifo and fango.

If you can only have one set of tires, go for grifos. Good for everything.
Grifo:

Old 09-17-09, 07:16 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by jonestr
you would have a hard time going wrong with mich muds, but if you have a chance just chat up someone like Erik Tonkin on the subject.
Dang it! I was talking to Erik just last night (he coaches the cross clinic I went to), and this wasn't among the many things I asked him. Oh well, I've been meaning to make a trip to Sellwood anyway. I guess I'll go buy some tires from him when I go.
Old 09-17-09, 09:00 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by MJH2
Michelin Mud2's

You'll run into relatively little mud, and they'll work great. If you're doing the chicago cyclocross cup, one set will last you a couple seasons.
+1 - I went all out this year trying to get my tubulars glued up and the wheels built up, etc...and in the meantime I have put a ton of time back into my Mud2 and old mavic/Shimy wheelset. Crazy. They just keep delivering.

I put 1 season of training and racing on 1 set and the front still looks great but I need a new one for the rear. It's ok, but gets sloppy in looser stuff.

I am using some Vittoria Cross EVO XG tubulars that I have as a "training" set that I finally got glued up last night and I picked up a set of Griffos (in a 30 - because that's all I could get) for my "race" wheels that I have yet to build...which is funny because the races start this week... Suck.

Old 09-17-09, 11:19 AM
jonestr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am just using this thread to call attention to my new signature, as you cant use tubbies with tubes in the SW
Old 09-18-09, 10:14 PM
iwegian
Steel snob by accident

Bikes: Masi steel cross, Torelli steel roadie, Brew steel bmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have rithey speed maxes. pretty smooth center, and plenty big knobs on the side for cornering confidence. also seemed to help me with off camber turns too. Mine are 35s ran mine at 40 btw
Old 09-19-09, 12:56 PM
shapelike
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iwegian
i have rithey speed maxes. pretty smooth center, and plenty big knobs on the side for cornering confidence. also seemed to help me with off camber turns too. Mine are 35s ran mine at 40 btw
I like these tires a lot. Mostly I race them in early season point-to-point races through the countryside (gravel/dirt roads, singletrack, the remains of last year's corn crop, etc.).
Old 09-19-09, 01:58 PM
acorn_user

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Someone I've talked to recommended challenge grifo's in a 32 for every condition.

If they're good enough for him, I'm pretty sure they're good enough for anyone...

35 will be grippier than 32, but will be slower on the flatter stuff and road-ish stuff. 32 should be more than enough for most courses.
Wider tyres will be faster on the flatter and road-ish stuff if it's bumpy. I hear that the main issue is that sometimes the tread is a little narrow because they use the 32c tread on the wider casing. That said, I would choose wider tyres in most circumstances.

Don't forget the Vredestein Premiato.
Old 09-23-09, 02:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
What do you think of the Specialized Houffalize CX Pro (32mm)?

They carry these at my LBS (and I think they'll still give me team discount if I ask nicely )
Old 09-23-09, 02:49 PM
Andy_K 

At first glance that looked like it had an inverted tread, but I suppose that's just the picture background on the bottom left.

The tread looks similar to my Maxxis Locust CX, which quickly become slicks in heavy mud, but drop it again once I get in some grass.
Old 09-23-09, 02:52 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I have one of the Specialized tires. I really like it. I find that the traction is almost on par with my tubulars. Are you shopping at Mikes? What team are you on?
Old 09-23-09, 02:54 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
No, I saw them in person at the LBS and they are knobbies, but have a center section that look like they'd be better for grass and packed dirt than the Michelin Mud 2. It's figuring to be a long hot fall here in NorCal, so I think it's going to be mostly gravel and hardpan, at least until December.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.