Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Bent my road saddle - recommendations?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-09, 04:40 PM
xprmntlav8r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me be the first to admit that my mounting technique needs to be refined. Hey, I'm new at this. With that said, I've started out my cross career with a road Specialized Toupe Ti143 saddle that I had laying around. Twice now after my races I've discovered that the rails on this saddle have been bent from not so smooth mounts after barriers or a runup.

So I'm in the market for a saddle that can handle the abuse that I plan on dishing out. I fear that the road saddle has no business being on a cross bike. Can anyone suggest a saddle that is more robust? Are titanium rails a help or hindrance? For reference, I'm 5'11" and 175 pounds.

A friend, who's 205 pounds, rides a Fizik Gobi. That's one that I'll look at, but what are your thoughts?

I promise to get better at the mounts but in the mean time...
Old 10-25-09, 05:02 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'm surprised. I wouldn't have expected you to have problems like that. I guess they made the rails thin to get the weight down?

I've raced with a Specialized Avatar, Specialized Phenom and WTB Rocket V Comp. (I'm 5'9" and 185 pounds.) Of these, I'd have to recommend the WTB because it doesn't have a notch on the back to snag your shorts on. For non-cross riding, I like the Phenom.
Old 10-25-09, 05:03 PM
availpunk9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also bent up my Toupe 143. I got the dealer to warranty it, sold it, and bought a 143 Phenom SL. It's the same shape as the Toupe, just a bit heavier ~20-25g. It has a bit more padding; I find it more comfortable than a Toupe.
Old 10-25-09, 05:05 PM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i alternately ride (not race) a brooks knock-off and a turbo knock-off. I would have no issue bashing them into the wall—very sturdy.
Old 10-25-09, 06:37 PM
Raiden

Bikes: A little of everything

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently broke my Selle Arione with a flying mount- Its rideable again thanks to Gorilla tape and epoxy, but jtgotsjets' has me thinking an old generic saddle and seatpost would be nice to have for practice and races....
Old 10-25-09, 07:07 PM
shapelike
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been really happy with my Fizik Aliante - first season on it this year and I think it'll be on next year's mountain bike as well.
Old 10-26-09, 10:37 AM
jonestr

Bikes: Neuvation F100, Surly Cross Check, Van Dessel Holeshot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is your saddle mounted in the middle of the rails or is it pushed to an extreme front or back position?
Old 10-26-09, 11:41 AM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiden
I recently broke my Selle Arione with a flying mount- Its rideable again thanks to Gorilla tape and epoxy, but jtgotsjets' has me thinking an old generic saddle and seatpost would be nice to have for practice and races....
I'm pretty sure my Vetta turbo knockoff is going to last forever. Time will tell on the Brooks knockoff, but they were both made in a time when saddles were not a place for shaving weight. Very big, rugged, and comfy to boot!

Definitely not the lightest solution, but then this isn't the road forum. I've never minded a little extra weight on my bike (though I stress again, I don't race... maybe next year)--my first adult bike was a steel 1980s Schwinn Cruiser with rear derailleur setup, steel fenders, rear rack and milk crate. Pretty much everything I've ridden since then has been a huge step down.
Old 10-26-09, 04:05 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I had the same thing happen to a Selle Italia SLR gelflow saddle. I traded it out for a cheap OEM takeoff saddle I had lying around my garage which looked a little sturdier. I only have to ride it for 45 minutes or an hour at a time, so saddle comfort isn't a big deal. And if I bend this one up, I don't really care.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 10-27-09, 07:10 AM
xprmntlav8r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's mounted pretty much to the middle. The first time that it bent it was more to the rear. After straightening it I remounted the seat more towards the middle. The bending this time was more to the front. I'm afraid that I can't bend this seat back again as it looks like a crack has begun to form in one of the rails. I've ordered a WTB saddle. Hope that this one is more robust. I'll let you know how it goes.

Originally Posted by jonestr
Is your saddle mounted in the middle of the rails or is it pushed to an extreme front or back position?
Old 10-27-09, 08:08 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
I like WTB saddles but any saddle will distort under a heavy load. Just don't ever think about getting a carbon rail saddle
Old 10-27-09, 03:48 PM
merlin55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ti rails are one half as stiff as steel rails, thus they bend....find a less expensive saddle with steel rails
Old 11-04-09, 12:08 AM
xprmntlav8r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went with the WTB Silverado Pro Race SL. It has Cr/Mo rails (not Ti) and was $45 on eBay. It's weathered a first race with no apparent damage (bending). My mounts are getting better and this saddle adds to this confidence since it has significantly more cush than the road saddle that bent. With this extra padding the impact forces, to both me and the saddle rails, is very much reduced. I think that I'm going to be real happy with this saddle.
Old 11-06-09, 02:00 PM
Big T

Bikes: Look 585, Giant TCR 2, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bent my Toupe also - sounds like a recurring theme. I put it on my cross bike in September when I was starting to practice remounts again. Guess I wasn't so um, graceful the first few days. Too bad, it was sooo much lighter than the stock saddle on my Fuji. The Toupe was just not comfortable enough for the road bike though.