Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-13, 04:21 PM
SFCRetired

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Bike!

Just bought a new Trek (Compact?) and am tickled pink. Even with an old, 217 pound man on it, that thing is (to me, anyway) fast. I had not trouble getting well over my old bike's top speed.

In fact, the only trouble I'm having is learning how to get off a bike without either half-killing myself or looking like a total idiot. Just another thing I've got to work on. Any suggestions?

I am totally delighted at the difference between this bike and the old one. Makes a difference when you are not trying to push 33 lbs of bike around.

If things work out as I want them to, I should be posting some good rides in the near future.
Old 10-07-13, 04:34 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SFCRetired
Just bought a new Trek (Compact?) and am tickled pink. Even with an old, 217 pound man on it, that thing is (to me, anyway) fast. I had not trouble getting well over my old bike's top speed.

In fact, the only trouble I'm having is learning how to get off a bike without either half-killing myself or looking like a total idiot. Just another thing I've got to work on. Any suggestions?

I am totally delighted at the difference between this bike and the old one. Makes a difference when you are not trying to push 33 lbs of bike around.

If things work out as I want them to, I should be posting some good rides in the near future.
Congratulations, but without pics it really didn't happen.

What seems to be the problem with mounts and dismounts? Remember, it's OK to lean the bike quite a bit if you are having trouble getting to a stand-over position before starting.
Old 10-07-13, 04:37 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Congratulations, but without pics it really didn't happen.

What seems to be the problem with mounts and dismounts? Remember, it's OK to lean the bike quite a bit if you are having trouble getting to a stand-over position before starting.
What he said. All three points.
Old 10-07-13, 04:52 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts

Slow down, come off your saddle, put your weight on your right foot/pedal while leaning to the left, put your left foot on the ground as you stop, keep holding the brakes so the bike doesn't roll.

Now you are stopped with the brakes on and your left foot on the ground, your right foot still on the pedal, and you're straddling the top tube. All you have to do is figure out the best way to get your right leg back over your bike.
Old 10-07-13, 05:30 PM
SFCRetired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Slow down, come off your saddle, put your weight on your right foot/pedal while leaning to the left, put your left foot on the ground as you stop, keep holding the brakes so the bike doesn't roll.

Now you are stopped with the brakes on and your left foot on the ground, your right foot still on the pedal, and you're straddling the top tube. All you have to do is figure out the best way to get your right leg back over your bike.
And therein lies the problem. You've heard of folks who were so uncoordinated they couldn't walk and chew gum? I can get stopped, but getting that leg back over the bike. I hate my LBS owner because he makes it look so easy. But then, he is only in his late twenties or early thirties. Doggone whippersnapper!

Getting on the thing does not seem to be a problem, but I couldn't get all of my parts coordinated to get off on this first, very short, ride.

Thanks, folks. I'll try DnvrFox's recommendation and see if I can make it work.
Old 10-07-13, 06:37 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott

You got that backwards, substitute left for right and right for left
Old 10-07-13, 08:24 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
And therein lies the problem. You've heard of folks who were so uncoordinated they couldn't walk and chew gum? I can get stopped, but getting that leg back over the bike. I hate my LBS owner because he makes it look so easy. But then, he is only in his late twenties or early thirties. Doggone whippersnapper!

Getting on the thing does not seem to be a problem, but I couldn't get all of my parts coordinated to get off on this first, very short, ride.

Thanks, folks. I'll try DnvrFox's recommendation and see if I can make it work.
What do you wear when you ride? Levis or jeans can be too tight for full leg movement till you get used to dismounting.
Old 10-08-13, 05:19 AM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
No pictures, no bike......
Old 10-08-13, 05:19 AM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
And the picture needs to be in front of a white garage door!
Old 10-08-13, 07:36 AM
SFCRetired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro
And the picture needs to be in front of a white garage door!
Sorry, but no garage, so no white garage door.

To answer Mobile 155: Normally I wear cycling shorts. Trying out the bike yesterday, when I experienced the awkwardness, I had on regular shorts, so no restrictions on movement other than brain-induced.

I really think the problem is that I'm, laughably, a little scared of the thing. Durned if I'll let that stop me, though. I am really happy with the differences between this bike and the Diamondback I had.

Know you folks up North in damyankee land are going to laugh at me, but 53 degrees this morning, and not having the proper clothing, was just a tad too cool for this arthritic old man. Supposed to warm up this afternoon enough that I am going to put in some more saddle time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0002.jpg (95.8 KB, 123 views)
Old 10-08-13, 07:53 AM
UtahRider

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Camber FSR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats! Have Fun!
Old 10-08-13, 08:02 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Nice bike... I have a problem getting my leg over the saddle so I just lean it and its doable.

I love the young show offs that can swing their leg over the handle bars. Yes the bars are that low and they are that flexible.
Old 10-08-13, 09:16 AM
mystang52

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite; Cannondale Quick 4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A trick that this old guy uses: I stop at a curb. Put one foot on the curb. You are now a bit higher, and swinging the other leg over the seat is much easier.
Old 10-08-13, 09:22 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I have the same problem, especially when I'm feeling really stiff. I just hop with one foot laterally until I can lower the bike so low I can get my other stiff leg over it, swinging said leg backwards. lt's awkward but it works so I'm OK with it.

Old 10-08-13, 09:27 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I hear ya. I'm not 50+ yet, but I've got a fairly stiff body and swinging my right leg over the saddle is tricky when I get off the bike. Getting on is not an issue for me, either. I usually do a rolling mount, where I have my left foot on the pedal and push the bike to move, and then swing my right leg over the saddle and mount as the bike rolls slowly. My wife can do that while dismounting, but I can't (yet).

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 10-08-13, 09:35 AM
SFCRetired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks loads for all the suggestions. I managed to get on and off this morning without killing myself, looking like the idiot I am, or damaging the bike. While I am still getting used to it (and it to me!!), I am restricting my riding to just my neighborhood. Not all that much room, but not all that much traffic either.

This morning I did thirty-one minutes with an average speed of 12.4 mph and a max of 17.7 mph for a distance of 6.49 miles. The speeds are a whole lot better, even in this little area I'm riding in, and that is more distance than I have ever covered in thirty minutes.

Do y'all get the feeling I'm tickled pink with my new bike? I will be working up to getting out on the road and doing some serious distances. Not to interested in top speed right now as I feel the speed will come as I get in better shape.
Old 10-08-13, 09:43 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Do y'all get the feeling I'm tickled pink with my new bike? I will be working up to getting out on the road and doing some serious distances. Not to interested in top speed right now as I feel the speed will come as I get in better shape.
When are you going to show us the picture of your new bike?

Yes, the speed will come. I've been riding seriously since mid-July, and my average speed on my commute route has increased by about 1.5 MPH so far.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 10-08-13, 10:00 AM
nuke_diver

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
53 degrees this morning, and not having the proper clothing, was just a tad too cool for this arthritic old man.
53 is pretty cool on a bike... you are making a windchill factor yourself. At 53 I need a jacket...below 50 I need gloves (I don't use cycling gloves)

Sounds like you are having a blast
Old 10-08-13, 10:04 AM
rgwinn

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, technique will come with practice.

I do a rolling mount, and dismount, as I slow to a stop I stand and throw my right leg over then stop and stand. Of course I have been doing this for awhile, so even at 52 I can still manage it.

Have fun, ride the heck out of it. Practice some quick stops, so you can get used to the brakes, you do not want to get into a panic situation and grab the front brake hard, as the bike will stop, and you will keep moving forward. ;-)
Old 10-08-13, 10:19 AM
Rwc5830

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks loads for all the suggestions. I managed to get on and off this morning without killing myself, looking like the idiot I am, or damaging the bike. While I am still getting used to it (and it to me!!), I am restricting my riding to just my neighborhood. Not all that much room, but not all that much traffic either.

This morning I did thirty-one minutes with an average speed of 12.4 mph and a max of 17.7 mph for a distance of 6.49 miles. The speeds are a whole lot better, even in this little area I'm riding in, and that is more distance than I have ever covered in thirty minutes.

Oh, just ride already!!!

Actually, cool looking bike and yeah, if you just ride you'll get better. Hopefully the fit is fine. I have a lot of friends who have Trek bikes, they are good.

New bikes are cool for everyone. Be safe and keep us posted.
Old 10-08-13, 10:27 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
After seeing the picture of your new ride, I think I know why you have issues getting off. It's a subconscious thing. Your subconscious is telling your body that you want to ride this baby even more and to stay on it just a bit longer. It's as if a demon deep inside of you doesn't want to give up the pleasure a nice ride brings. So, it sabotages your efforts to stop riding.
Old 10-08-13, 10:31 AM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Sorry, but no garage, so no white garage door.

To answer Mobile 155: Normally I wear cycling shorts. Trying out the bike yesterday, when I experienced the awkwardness, I had on regular shorts, so no restrictions on movement other than brain-induced.

I really think the problem is that I'm, laughably, a little scared of the thing. Durned if I'll let that stop me, though. I am really happy with the differences between this bike and the Diamondback I had.

Know you folks up North in damyankee land are going to laugh at me, but 53 degrees this morning, and not having the proper clothing, was just a tad too cool for this arthritic old man. Supposed to warm up this afternoon enough that I am going to put in some more saddle time.
Nice bike. Sounds like you are getting used to it and are moving along at the proper pace. Everything now will come as you spend more saddle time. As far as riding in the 50 degree range you just need to get base layers on. Soon if you become as addicted as many of us you will have Arm Warmers, Leg Warmers, Base layer shirts and base layer tights. You will have both long and short fingered gloves and maybe shoe covers. No I am not telling you to do so, only saying that more than likely you will.
Old 10-08-13, 11:49 AM
SFCRetired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
When are you going to show us the picture of your new bike?

Yes, the speed will come. I've been riding seriously since mid-July, and my average speed on my commute route has increased by about 1.5 MPH so far.
Pic is on post #10 .
@mobile155: My arthritis does not like the cold, even with a couple of layers on. I am hoping that, as I become more active, that some of the arthritis and some of my other problems will at least diminish some.

Meanwhile, I'm just going to have as much fun as I can!
Old 10-08-13, 11:54 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Pic is on post #10 .
Ah, I sure missed it. Nice bike!

Old 10-08-13, 12:05 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Am I the only one who swings the right leg over while moving, then coasts to a stop scooter-style? Not always possible, of course, but it gives you nice leverage when you have your weight on both arms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.